Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS 2017 Shipping Rate Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I didn't see a thread about this so...

The USPS 2017 rate changes take effect January 22nd across all shipping services. Overall, rates increased for most products, weights, and zones, but USPS has chosen not to increase rates for international services. We’ll go over changes to USPS’ most popular shipping services including Priority Mail, First Class Package, Flat Rate, and Regional Rate.

Here are a few change highlights:

• First Class 1-8 oz packages now have two price points: $2.61 for 4oz and under, and $2.77 for 5-8oz. Good for simplifying package rates on shipments less than 4oz, but a 17-cent increase for sellers that ship out 5-8oz packages
  • Priority Mail rates for packages under 8lbs are up 3.9% on average, but some rates are down as much as 47-cents
  • There will be no changes to Priority Mail International, Priority Mail Express International, or First-Class Mail International Package Service rates

http://shippingeasy.com/usps-2017-shipping-rate-changes-flat-rate-priority-first-class-w-tables/

First Class Package 2017 Rate Changes

First Class Package service, USPS’ most popular and cheapest service to ship packages under 1 lb., will see an increase across all weight categories with an average increase of 21 cents. The lightest packages, from 1 oz. to 4 oz., will only see a 1 cent rate increase. While all other rate increases are over 10 cents, 9 oz. packages will only see a 2-cent increase, which looks like a sweet spot to hit for shippers.

first-class-2016-rates-vs-2017.png

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
didn't even know there was a price increase.

You did miss the most important price increase for most of us - 1 oz letter is 49 cents, up 2 cents from 47 cents. additional ounces and the fraudulent "nonmachineable surcharge" remain 21 cents.

Here's a link to the price list effective Jan 22, 2017:

USPS Price Notice 123 - effective January 22, 2017

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
didn't even know there was a price increase.

You did miss the most important price increase for most of us - 1 oz letter is 49 cents, up 2 cents from 47 cents. additional ounces and the fraudulent "nonmachineable surcharge" remain 21 cents.

Here's a link to the price list effective Jan 22, 2017:

USPS Price Notice 123 - effective January 22, 2017
This is what it was for the past year or so. Stamps were .49c, then dropped to .47c late last year. Now back to .49c so most probably didn't even pay attention.

Thanks for using USPS, you pay my wages and create job security.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
If I'm reading this right than most of us will be paying $2.61 flat rate to ship any bubble mailers under 8 oz?!

Sounds more simplified to me if that the case.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

nope....not quite....

First Class 1-8 oz packages now have two price points: $2.61 for 4oz and under, and $2.77 for 5-8oz. Good for simplifying package rates on shipments less than 4oz, but a 17-cent increase for sellers that ship out 5-8oz packages

for approximately the past two years it's been 2.60 for 1 to 8 ounces when printing your own postage....now it will be 2.61 for 1 to 4 ounces and 2.77 for 5 to 8 ounces....not a massive difference and definitely not enough to make me raise my shipping rates...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
First Class 1-8 oz packages now have two price points: $2.61 for 4oz and under, and $2.77 for 5-8oz. Good for simplifying package rates on shipments less than 4oz, but a 17-cent increase for sellers that ship out 5-8oz packages

just what we need - more complication for USPS employees who don't even know the current rules and regs!

I had a #10 envelope-sized 2oz letter than was under 1/4" thick that I mailed out two weeks ago at the 2 oz 1st class letter rate plus the nonmachineable postage rate since it was stiff enough to need it. It came back the next day needing additional postage that would make the total postage that of a thick envelope (between 1/4" and 3/4"). Too bad there is no way to get refunds from the USPS for their screwup since that letter should have been delivered.

Since USPS workers are unionized, they have free reign to screwup and not lose their job.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
And just so everyone knows, our rates are controlled by Congress. We can discuss a rate change, but to get it done actually takes an act of Congress.

It figures that politicians had a hand in messing things up! ;)

I loved the good ol' days when mailing a letter was just knowing its weight.

Then ebay exploded and you added rules and regs about envelope size and thickness and if there was a stiffie or irregular enclosed and that increased the number of mail categories.

I'm just waiting now for the cf when the USPS and congress adds dimension weight rules to packages.

Members online

No members online now.