Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Chicago National Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Spent a fun day at the National. Found a few things for my various collections. The Cody Bellinger (#5/10) and Gleyber Torres were from 3 Panini Wrapper Redemption packs I bought for $10 so should make some money back from those. The 72 Topps are all high numbers - down to 28 cards to finish the set. The 3 Grace Bowman Wrapper Redemptions are pretty sweet - the red is /10 and gold /50. Got them all except the black 1/1. And a free COMC fidget spinner. COMC members got to spin a wheel and either won store credit or landed on a card that they were entered into a drawing to win (I landed on a high grade Puckett rookie). Saw lots of great stuff, but feet are tired tonight. $22 admission is getting high, especially with parking on top of that.

2017National1.jpg

2017National2.jpg

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Spent a fun day at the National. Found a few things for my various collections. The Cody Bellinger (#5/10) and Gleyber Torres were from 3 Panini Wrapper Redemption packs I bought for $10 so should make some money back from those. The 72 Topps are all high numbers - down to 28 cards to finish the set. The 3 Grace Bowman Wrapper Redemptions are pretty sweet - the red is /10 and gold /50. Got them all except the black 1/1. And a free COMC fidget spinner. COMC members got to spin a wheel and either won store credit or landed on a card that they were entered into a drawing to win (I landed on a high grade Puckett rookie). Saw lots of great stuff, but feet are tired tonight. $22 admission is getting high, especially with parking on top of that.

2017National1.jpg

2017National2.jpg

Id be interested in the Gleyber card

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Those wrapper redemption Bowman Chrome refractors are so nice, already snagged the RJ Black 1/1. I don't think I have any refractors with that particular pattern.

SecondToNone

Mar 26, 2013
Elmhurst, Illinois
I went on Friday afternoon for a short while. That is a lot of cards to see in under 3 hours! Auto, relics, and vintage not my niche so I was able to quickly go through most of it. The most rewarding part was being able to talk to some of the dealers and hear the stories behind the items.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] awesome pick ups! Those wrapper redemptions are very nice looking

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I would love to go just to say Ive been. Being closer would help me out. though, not sure what I'd do as I'm not a box/casebreaker, promo collector or a prospect guy.

Looks like Brad found some great looking cards. nice pickups

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I would love to go just to say Ive been. Being closer would help me out. though, not sure what I'd do as I'm not a box/casebreaker, promo collector or a prospect guy.

Looks like Brad found some great looking cards. nice pickups

I'm not any of those things either and this past national convention was my favorite of the six I've been to. You must go!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Question for you guys with massive player collections. In your experience, is the national show a good place for picking up hard to find cards? Maybe a more specific way to phrase this is how many new cards would you expect to come home with for your PC after a couple days at the national?

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Question for you guys with massive player collections. In your experience, is the national show a good place for picking up hard to find cards? Maybe a more specific way to phrase this is how many new cards would you expect to come home with for your PC after a couple days at the national?

I go in with the expectation of picking up 1-2 rare cards for my collection. I was lucky enough to buy 3, and be gifted three things I needed from fellow collectors. It is definitely worth it at least for the opportunity to be there

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

I don't expect to find much anymore. I didn't see hardly anything of my guy. Found one 2016 card of his I needed.

I was looking for rare 90's stuff. Only 2 real good displays I found, but really overpriced.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I go in with the expectation of picking up 1-2 rare cards for my collection. I was lucky enough to buy 3, and be gifted three things I needed from fellow collectors. It is definitely worth it at least for the opportunity to be there

Zan - I saw 2 Greenbergs I wondered if you had. The 1939 GOUDEY PREMIUMS R303-A (large sucker) and a Wheaties Panel Stamp. What did you pick up?

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

My 2015 experience was seeing less than 10 RJ cards in display cases during the whole show. They were all autos I either already had or were auto parallels I really had no interest in. Zero 90s cards of any significance. I ended the show with 1 bargain bin card I needed and 1 of those auto parallels I didn't really want - I bought it just because I wanted to walk away with something worthwhile.

But that is very specific to my guy who is a retired pitcher, and I have 5,000 cards already so what could you really expect. I recall seeing a lot of nice rare stuff of other players from that era, a Frank Thomas bat barrel comes to mind. But it was fun as hell to search high & low for 2-3 days looking for stuff. Had I found something rare & way overpriced I bet I would have overpaid just to get something. Hopefully he will be signing at next year's show so I can justify going again.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Zan - I saw 2 Greenbergs I wondered if you had. The 1939 GOUDEY PREMIUMS R303-A (large sucker) and a Wheaties Panel Stamp. What did you pick up?

I actually didn't see either of them, but luckily don't need either..

I bought three modern cards that I was shocked were there. I am doing a national recap video on Wednesday and will post it here too.

Thanks for thinking of me!

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I Actually had a pretty good time at the national this year.

I picked up 3 1/1 for my Bagwell collection. Also had a few really incredible pickups that I am beginning to get scanned. Here is one of them:
Ichiro 2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove Leather Bound.jpg

Im in the process of scanning the rest. Will continue to post.

dan

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I Actually had a pretty good time at the national this year.

I picked up 3 1/1 for my Bagwell collection. Also had a few really incredible pickups that I am beginning to get scanned. Here is one of them:
View attachment 71726

Im in the process of scanning the rest. Will continue to post.

dan

Last one I need to complete that set - wish I would have saw that there! Congrats.

Members online

Latest posts