Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Terrible trade experience....am I way off here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Bare with me. I posted some set needs on a different site and get a response. A guy as an Eddie Butler 2015 Topps chrome gold refractor #/250 he's willing to trade...ok cool. He only collects Trout or Jeter. Ummmm ok, so he's getting the better end of this deal (in my mind) but I want the Butler for my set. I send him a Jeter GU jersey card Non machinable PWE as we agreed. I get a message there's a been a mishap and the envelope was damaged along with the card (he says a small crease near the jersey). DAMN IT! Ive done many PWE trades but this is my first bad one and I feel bad. The dude insist I call him, which I do, he acts all cool about it, I say hey man, sorry, I'll send something as a replacement. He says no it's ok, its not a biggie but I insist. I figure 3 Jeter numbered cards is ok so I send it in a bubble mailer to ensure no more damage. I get a message today that he's pissed of what I sent to replace it. I'm like bro, u got a Jeter GU (which I didn't send damaged) 3 Jeter numbered cards (I don't exactly remember what I sent) for a freaking Eddie Butler card that might sell for $3 on ebay and you're mad? It annoyed me beyond words. This dude has annoyed me so much the last week or so that I made my signature on all three boards the same to warn people that it's just a freaking hobby. If I'm wrong for being annoyed please let me know.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I can take collecting pretty seriously, but that's just odd. IMO it's not you. At all.

Scott F

Not you at all. Just another @$$ trying to get more than he deserves.
I take pics/scans of my cards I'm mailing off for trades.
Just in case, I have something to prove that it was in this particular condition when mailed. Usually ends the issue right then and there.
Something to think about

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Not you at all. Just another @$$ trying to get more than he deserves.
I take pics/scans of my cards I'm mailing off for trades.
Just in case, I have something to prove that it was in this particular condition when mailed. Usually ends the issue right then and there.
Something to think about

Thanks for the replies. Thats a good idea on the pictures, Ive never run into this before so lesson learned

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Personally, I would have asked for a pic of the damage.
He actually did send one. I didn't have a problem sending replacements but his reaction got to me. I haven't heard back from him since I pointed out they are all numbered and I feel he really made out on the deal

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I think you did the right thing by trying to make it right. Although, it never would've happened had you not sent a jersey card in a pwe. Thicker cards like that should always be sent in a bubble mailer.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think you did the right thing by trying to make it right. Although, it never would've happened had you not sent a jersey card in a pwe. Thicker cards like that should always be sent in a bubble mailer.

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet for now on. I hate spending almost 3 bucks for one card but in the future thats how it's gonna be

bblair_2002

Aug 12, 2009
Fort Plain,NY
Yeah,never send a GU in a PWE and putting "non-machinable" on it won't make a difference. The other guy in question is a pain in the @$$ and while he has a ton of stuff for us set builders,only wants all the "hot" player cards in return and I highly doubt he collects any of them. I did bite the bullet and made a high dollar trade with him a few weeks ago but he did give me a BV advantage after explaining the cards I was trading him vs. the lesser cards he was trading me.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Yeah,never send a GU in a PWE and putting "non-machinable" on it won't make a difference. The other guy in question is a pain in the @$$ and while he has a ton of stuff for us set builders,only wants all the "hot" player cards in return and I highly doubt he collects any of them. I did bite the bullet and made a high dollar trade with him a few weeks ago but he did give me a BV advantage after explaining the cards I was trading him vs. the lesser cards he was trading me.

Ohhh I didn't know anyone would know who he is but good to know I'm not being a ****** about it

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I suppose on a $3 card you should make it clear to the other party the shipping method before shipping it out and leave it to them to either spring for better shipping or take the risk of damage in a PWE.

I've never sent a card (only redemptions) via PWE, but every card I've ever received via PWE has been undamaged.

On another note, I never knew there were gold refractors #'d to /250! Always thought they were /50! :)

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I suppose on a $3 card you should make it clear to the other party the shipping method before shipping it out and leave it to them to either spring for better shipping or take the risk of damage in a PWE.

I've never sent a card (only redemptions) via PWE, but every card I've ever received via PWE has been undamaged.

On another note, I never knew there were gold refractors #'d to /250! Always thought they were /50! :)

We agreed to PWE. These are Topps Update Chrome Golds which I think might only be retail

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
1. Other people said it already, but I have received soooo many thick cards in the mail creased from being in a PWE. Just have to live and learn on that end and not trade them PWE in the future (and realistically the other guy should have known this as well and not set himself up for failure by agreeing to that method).

2. If he was going to just let it go and you sent him extra stuff anyway, he's being a serious dick by complaining.

3. Dying to know who it was since when I traded more often I dealt with a few people who were just out to upgrade their cheap/unsellable cards to the hottest stuff and were big whiny pains on top of it...but I'm pretty sure the dirty laundry isn't going to be aired in here. ha

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
3. Dying to know who it was since when I traded more often I dealt with a few people who were just out to upgrade their cheap/unsellable cards to the hottest stuff and were big whiny pains on top of it...but I'm pretty sure the dirty laundry isn't going to be aired in here. ha

It was on the bench if that's any help :D

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
It was on the bench if that's any help :D

Ah I'm sure it's who I'm thinking of then. One time I had a small maybe $5 sale value trade with him and after a few weeks his end hadn't arrived, which showed as such on the tracking info he provided. When I asked for replacements and said I'd PayPal him full bv for the original cards if they ever arrived, he got real whiny about being on a fixed income and how sending replacements was such a huge burden. He sent them and like 2 days later I saw him post an expensive case break. :rolleyes:

The original cards ended up being delivered a couple weeks later and I paypaled him full bv, way more than the cards were worth. I finally just gave up responding to his replies to my trade posts where he wanted any good-selling card I had but mysteriously the stuff he had to trade me were the kind of cards that would sell for 10% of Beckett value. I wonder if he's unloaded that Ron Flores Sweet Spot auto/5 yet, it's a really desirable high dollar card you know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
He actually did send one. I didn't have a problem sending replacements but his reaction got to me. I haven't heard back from him since I pointed out they are all numbered and I feel he really made out on the deal

it's not thick cards, it's with any **die-cut** card that you should send in a bubble like relic cards wtih swatch windows or special die-cut windows with relics like topps triple turds features. The "nonmachineable surcharge" is a huge USPS scam - you pay it with a PWE and it still goes through a machine instead of being hand-processed.

I"m totally believing the person who the OP sent a card to that stated the jeter is damaged. Using a bubble mailer would have avoided the issue.

Members online