Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Master sets! Complete or trying to complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Thought this might be an interesting thread, I have been trying to complete the entire master set of 1998 Donruss Preferred for years now. I will share where I am at, but I would be curious to see what other people have completed or are trying to complete. Try to share a tough set to complete, limit it to either master sets (meaning all cards in an entire set) or (rare insert sets, limited to say print runs of /100 or less) I know there are some really cool sets out there and I would love to see what other people are working on. List number of cards in the set, how much you have completed and maybe add what cards you still need. Maybe we can help some people complete their quests.. I think we can all agree what a pain it can be to find those really hard cards sometimes and maybe this can help get some needed exposure.

my set I only took pictures of a small sample, to much to picture everything right now

1998 Donruss preferred Total cards in set excluding sample cards. = 499 out of 512
base set. COMPLETE. 200 of 200 cards
preferred seating die cut base set parallel. COMPLETE. 200 of 200 cards
Title Waves Die Cuts /1998 or less COMPLETE. 30 of 30 cards
Great X pectations. /2700. COMPLETE. 26 of 26 cards
Great X pectations die cuts /300. COMPLETE. 26 of 26 cards
Precious Metals. /50. INCOMPLETE. 17 of 30 cards

Still Need these 14 Precious Metals
Frank Thomas Platinum
Greg Maddux Platinum
Mike Piazza. Platinum
Chipper Jones Platinum
Tony Gwynn Gold
Derek Jeter Gold
Nomar Garciaparra Platinum
Barry Bonds Gold
Kenny Lofton Gold
Jose Cruz Jr. Silver
Ben Grieve Gold
Travis Lee Gold
Mark Kotsay Silver
Mark McGwire ( hopefully coming in mail)

IMG_20130406_134326_zps605e44ca.jpg

3d9111ca-9d8d-4069-b29f-57e4c495f6ce_zps561300a9.jpg

IMG_20130406_134538_zps49b2bf5b.jpg

IMG_20130406_134506_zpsb045f804.jpg

IMG_20130323_114625_zpsb8fa596c.jpg

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
That's insane. :shock: I'd love to find a Kotsay as well. I'm pretty sure I know of a guy with the Grieve, but he's a die hard Grieve guy and probably wouldn't give it up :(

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have missed a few Kotsay's people just wanted to much at the time. but i am motivated now. as for the Grieve, Everyone has a price. Lol... Willing to pay real good for it :) would you mind checking ??

That's insane. :shock: I'd love to find a Kotsay as well. I'm pretty sure I know of a guy with the Grieve, but he's a die hard Grieve guy and probably wouldn't give it up :(

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I have been working on the 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Master Set (minus the cuts) for a few years. I say minus the cuts because there are 71 cut autographs which include names like Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Ronald Reagan, Babe Ruth/Roger Maris, George Burns and Abner Doubleday. Many of them are numbered to 1.

I have only added autographs over the last year and maybe a few low number blues because I have started to lose interest and the since it is not my primary collection the cost was getting prohibitive. I need 18 autographs to complete the 109 card auto set and I am pretty sure that I am going to sell off the rest of the collection to fund the purchase of the autos I need.

Anyway, here are the numbers and links to some of the photobuckets:
Base Set 145/145
Blue Series 1 /500 77/80
Blue Series 2 /94 or less 35/65
Autographs 91/109
Anouncing Greats 4/10
Anouncing Greats Duel Autos 0/8
Battery Mates 10/10
Battery Mates Autos 4/7
Battery Mates Duel Autos 0/6
Forever 25/29
Forever Jersey 8/20
Forever Jersey Logo 10/23
Forever Jersey Number 8/23
Forever Jersey Patch Duel Logo 1/10
Forever Jersey Patch Duel Num 1/10
Forever Jersey Patch Logo 5/23
Forever Jersey Patch Number 1/23
Glory of Their Time 33/35
Glory of Their Time Game GU /250 22/32
Glory of Their Time Game Gold 17/29
Glory of Their Time Game Patch 1/13
Yankee Clippings 3/8
Yankee Clippings Autos 0/8

Base Autos
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Autographs?page=1
Battery Mates Autos
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpu...ats Master Set/BatteryMates Autographs?page=1
Fleer Forever
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Fleer Forever?page=1
Glory of Their Time
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpu... Greats Master Set/Glory of their Time?page=1
...and the one cut that I have
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Cut Autographs?page=1

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
That is a sweet set!! I totally understand the ridiculous cost in these sets but that's pretty incredible how well you have done. If you can get all the autos that would be awesome.. Thanks for Sharing!!! Maybe someone on here can help you out... Who are the autos you need? Maybe edit your post to add those if you want. Just a thought. Looks like you only need 3 blue series 1 as well. So close

I have been working on the 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Master Set (minus the cuts) for a few years. I say minus the cuts because there are 71 cut autographs which include names like Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Ronald Reagan, Babe Ruth/Roger Maris, George Burns and Abner Doubleday. Many of them are numbered to 1.

I have only added autographs over the last year and maybe a few low number blues because I have started to lose interest and the since it is not my primary collection the cost was getting prohibitive. I need 18 autographs to complete the 109 card auto set and I am pretty sure that I am going to sell off the rest of the collection to fund the purchase of the autos I need.

Anyway, here are the numbers and links to some of the photobuckets:
Base Set 145/145
Blue Series 1 /500 77/80
Blue Series 2 /94 or less 35/65
Autographs 91/109
Anouncing Greats 4/10
Anouncing Greats Duel Autos 0/8
Battery Mates 10/10
Battery Mates Autos 4/7
Battery Mates Duel Autos 0/6
Forever 25/29
Forever Jersey 8/20
Forever Jersey Logo 10/23
Forever Jersey Number 8/23
Forever Jersey Patch Duel Logo 1/10
Forever Jersey Patch Duel Num 1/10
Forever Jersey Patch Logo 5/23
Forever Jersey Patch Number 1/23
Glory of Their Time 33/35
Glory of Their Time Game GU /250 22/32
Glory of Their Time Game Gold 17/29
Glory of Their Time Game Patch 1/13
Yankee Clippings 3/8
Yankee Clippings Autos 0/8

Base Autos
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Autographs?page=1
Battery Mates Autos
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpu...ats Master Set/BatteryMates Autographs?page=1
Fleer Forever
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Fleer Forever?page=1
Glory of Their Time
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpu... Greats Master Set/Glory of their Time?page=1
...and the one cut that I have
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/dpuccio/library/2004 Fleer Greats Master Set/Cut Autographs?page=1

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I have missed a few Kotsay's people just wanted to much at the time. but i am motivated now. as for the Grieve, Everyone has a price. Lol... Willing to pay real good for it :) would you mind checking ??

I'll check but I know what his answer is. He spent too long looking for it as well and probably won't settle for less than in the neighborhood of $500 or so, as that's what a recent Griffey / Grieve Mirror Image Atomic /25 went for.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
PM sent

I'll check but I know what his answer is. He spent too long looking for it as well and probably won't settle for less than in the neighborhood of $500 or so, as that's what a recent Griffey / Grieve Mirror Image Atomic /25 went for.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
One of the sets I am working on is from 2004..

2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber - Baseball Leather Auto's..

The regular autos were either wood or glove leather numbered to /224

The baseball leather auto's are numbered /5 or /10.. There are 50 cards in the Leather & Lumber materials..
Some of the players never autographed (Phil Rizzuto), and some of the cards were never made as baseball leather (Bob Feller and Bob Doerr)
One of the cards (Frank Robinson) wasn't supposed to be made as a baseball leather auto, but I found one on EBAY..

Here is link to the set..
Leather & Lumber '04 Donruss

will-clark.jpg

I just started a new set I am putting together..
National Treasures Hall of Fame Logo.. 50 cards in the set, and I have about 25 or so now..

View attachment 15617

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Very nice set Pinbreaker, keep it up, that would be fantastic to complete. Good luck with the NT HALL OF FAME LOGO another dandy

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I am 199/200 for the 1998 Leaf Fractal Materials die-cut set. All I need is a #176 Hideo Nomo Gold Leaf Star Leather Z-Axis die-cut card . Only 50 total sets could ever be made. It's a nice set considering it's one of the first sets ever that has every card serial #ed. Also have the base set /3999 and the non-die cut set complete. The non-die cut set is only 50 sets total (there's 5 X-Axis wood cards that are only serial #s 201-250) . As for the Z2-Axis set, don't think I'd ever try tbh just too much effort for a set that's serial /20.

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Set sounds sweet, got any pictures? Love the late 90 parallels. I had crazy idea to go for the 98 pacific platinum blue parallel set, didn't make it far haha. I think that set had a stated print run of 55 sets.

I am 199/200 for the 1998 Leaf Fractal Materials die-cut set. All I need is a #176 Hideo Nomo Gold Leaf Star Leather Z-Axis die-cut card . Only 50 total sets could ever be made. It's a nice set considering it's one of the first sets ever that has every card serial #ed. Also have the base set /3999 and the non-die cut set complete. The non-die cut set is only 50 sets total (there's 5 X-Axis wood cards that are only serial #s 201-250) . As for the Z2-Axis set, don't think I'd ever try tbh just too much effort for a set that's serial /20.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Set sounds sweet, got any pictures? Love the late 90 parallels. I had crazy idea to go for the 98 pacific platinum blue parallel set, didn't make it far haha. I think that set had a stated print run of 55 sets.
I don't have any of it scanned yet - been uploading a lot of my collection to Zistle but I mainly collect Rockies team sets so haven't gotten around to scanning it in yet.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Very cool 98 DP set I purchased a ton of that product as a kid and it was impossible to pull star players was easier to pull the inserts still have them.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Any precious metals? Willing to sell/trade. Haha. Just had to ask, The blasters back then were loaded. Never got a PM out of one, but yanked a ton of the die cuts and subsets. That is where my idea to start this project happened. Lost steam for years then about two years ago really thought I would go for the master with the PMs

Very cool 98 DP set I purchased a ton of that product as a kid and it was impossible to pull star players was easier to pull the inserts still have them.

Members online