Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
So my wife has bought me a copy of a book called "The Card" Collectors, Con Men, and the true story of history's most desired baseball card, and in my mind it would tell me what I already knew about the whole Gretzky T206 scandal...WRONG! I just read the 1st chapter and so far I am eager to get into chapter 2 but if I did, I'll find myself tryin to finish the book in one sitting. Have any of you read this book? What did you think of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Excellent book. I also recommend Card Sharks: How Upper Deck Turned A Child's Hobby Into A High Stakes, Billion Dollar Business by Pete Williams.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
It's an excellent book, I thought it was better than Card Sharks (Card Sharks had a lot of really boring behind-the-scenes business stuff that seemed to stretch on forever with a few juicy tidbits sprinkled throughout).

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
This one is obvious. I remember checking it out at the library, and i blew right through it. I loved it. It was on my want list for a while, and late last year i added it to my personal collection. I tend to keep the books that were very good and i would want to read again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 11

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
This should be required reading for anyone that claims to be a baseball fan. I personally have two copies in my collection ( one for me, a spare to give away ) and i have given three copies away already.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 15

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I enjoyed this book immensely. Its about the cape cod league, and this has been in my collection for years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 12

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Operation Bullpen is one of my favorites. Its about one of the biggest forgery outfits ever, and will make you rethink the authenticity of your entire collection. Such an amazing book, i was thrilled to finally buy a copy for my personal collection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 11

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Mnt Condition is a great read of how baseball cards came to be, and takes you to the present where the card market has collapsed and we find the market to be flooded and cards deemed worthless. Another great book i sought to add to my collection after checking it out at the library.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 12

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I heard good things about three nights in august, and i have yet to read it. And got em got em need em looked interesting as i was book searching ebay, and i havent read that one yet either...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Mnt Condition is a great read of how baseball cards came to be, and takes you to the present where the card market has collapsed and we find the market to be flooded and cards deemed worthless. Another great book i sought to add to my collection after checking it out at the library.

I enjoyed this one too. Particularly the sections on Jefferson Burdick (sp). Easy read with some good content for even long time collectors

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a good chunk of my books in a box under the bed, so im gonna try the next by memory.

I am really into players autobiographies, and my favorite was David Wells book "perfect, i'm not. I have read it three times. I just really like reading baseball stories told by the players.

"it aint brain surgery" by larry dierker. Again, stories of his playing days, and stories of his managing days. Me being a Bagwell fan and an Astros fan during his managing years made this one a great read for me.

the cheaters guide to baseball. Probably my most recent read. Bought it at the bookstore on a whim and couldnt put it down. Stories of all varieties of cheating, scuffballs, steroids, stealing signs. My favorite was the groundskeeping section. I mean, patting the foul lines to slant inwards or out? Amazing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9

Members online

Latest posts