Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

AMAZING Collection!!! :-o

1992limerocked.jpg

limerockauto.jpg

Last edited:

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks athletics, I don't think they are serial numbered. Only 61 were made of the red label.

Correction: They are serial numbered, according to baseballcardpedia.

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1998_Topps_Gold_Label

It seems like even if I manage to complete the red label set of Griffey, the one of one will be an impossible find, unless I find one and want to shell out mega bucks.

Just came across this in the April '99 Beckett.

Not backdoored as I'd assumed. Probably pretty filthy rare but like with most non-numbered stuff, less desirable.

BMol3w5.jpg

eppd3707

Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone have one of the Costacos "Griffey Family Business" posters they'd be willing to part with? I just missed one on ebay and haven't seen any others up for say in quite some time. Just let me know. Thanks

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Just came across this in the April '99 Beckett.

Not backdoored as I'd assumed. Probably pretty filthy rare but like with most non-numbered stuff, less desirable.

This definitely gives guys like me, who only have the non-numbered version, a false sense of satisfaction. Because anyone who collects Griffey knows the unnumbered versions pop up all the time for sale, but the #d ones never do.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
This definitely gives guys like me, who only have the non-numbered version, a false sense of satisfaction. Because anyone who collects Griffey knows the unnumbered versions pop up all the time for sale, but the #d ones never do.

At least you know there are in fact 61 serial numbered copies and the non-numbered versions weren't replacing numbered copies in the production run.

bisioml

Nov 13, 2013
At least you know there are in fact 61 serial numbered copies and the non-numbered versions weren't replacing numbered copies in the production run.

I was finally able to add this to my collection this past year after owning the non-serial numbered version forever! Happy man! I'm only missing the '99 Red Label /25 to own all 9 red labels from '98-'99. Beautiful cards!

I'll always be a 'Kid'...like THE 'KID'!

Attachments

• 1451946105408.jpg
    1451946105408.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 24

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

For those of us that are admirers of the cards in this thread.

What do the different serial numbered Griffeys from gold label go for?

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Nice find Marco!

Still looking for a numbered copy myself. Also that 98 Pinnacle Performers Big Bang Seasonal Outburst!

I was finally able to add this to my collection this past year after owning the non-serial numbered version forever! Happy man! I'm only missing the '99 Red Label /25 to own all 9 red labels from '98-'99. Beautiful cards!

I'll always be a 'Kid'...like THE 'KID'!

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Hey guys -

Wondering if anyone tracks subtle variations that came about in early 90's Griffey cards. May be relevant for the other player collectors who track the Griffey thread as well. Best I can tell, here is the list of variations:

• 1989 Donruss - *Denotes Led League and *Denotes Led League*
  • 1990 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1990 Donruss Diamond Kings - Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (2 Total) - Inc Version Does Not Exist (Alternate DK Layout)
  • 1990 Fleer - Printed in U.S.A and Printed in U.S.A.
  • 1991 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Donruss All Star - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Donruss MVP - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Stadium Club - A* and B* Printing Sheets
  • 1991 Upper Deck Hologram Variations - could be several. I have:
    • Griffey with 1990 - 1991 UD Hockey Hologram
    • Griffey Sr. with 1990 UD Baseball Hologram
    • Briley Cameo with 1990 UD Baseball Hologram
  • 1992 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Donruss All Stars - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Leaf - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Leaf Black Gold - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Stadium Club - E* and F* Printing Sheets
  • 1992 Stadium Club Members Choice - E* and F* Printing Sheets

Chris

I'm a Puckett guy, but the 1989 Donruss list should also include Inc/Inc. variations I would assume, as well as the small gap/large gap variations you can see here with where the bottom text is in relation to both the stats box, and the MLB/MLBPA logos.
IMG_3423.jpg
Also, Griffey has a 1995 Stadium Club Extreme Corps card (521 I believe), there are about a zillion variations of that with the foil printing, plus the foil variations for the World Series and Members Only parallels. It's tough to tell the difference at times in the foil color in online scans, but you can buy them dirt cheap from a lot of places. I have 29 different foil patterns of the base Puckett and the only duplicates I have ended up with while buying all of those are the ones that are entirely red both with the bottom text, and the TSC logo at the top. On the rainbow foil print jobs, at times I've thought I had two of the same foil variation and then upon closer inspection the logo color at the top will differ even if the bottom is basically the same.

Also, thanks for adding your list, somehow I was not aware of the 1990 U.S.A./U.S.A variation, and picked up two new cheap Puckett cards after seeing that. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'm a Puckett guy, but the 1989 Donruss list should also include Inc/Inc. variations I would assume, as well as the small gap/large gap variations you can see here with where the bottom text is in relation to both the stats box, and the MLB/MLBPA logos.
View attachment 57992
Also, Griffey has a 1995 Stadium Club Extreme Corps card (521 I believe), there are about a zillion variations of that with the foil printing, plus the foil variations for the World Series and Members Only parallels. It's tough to tell the difference at times in the foil color in online scans, but you can buy them dirt cheap from a lot of places. I have 29 different foil patterns of the base Puckett and the only duplicates I have ended up with while buying all of those are the ones that are entirely red both with the bottom text, and the TSC logo at the top. On the rainbow foil print jobs, at times I've thought I had two of the same foil variation and then upon closer inspection the logo color at the top will differ even if the bottom is basically the same.

Also, thanks for adding your list, somehow I was not aware of the 1990 U.S.A./U.S.A variation, and picked up two new cheap Puckett cards after seeing that. Thanks!

I also was not aware of the 1990 Fleer U.S.A. Variations and will be going through my Dawson cards tonight

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Marco - incredible find of the HR Race Maris /61! I forgot you picked that one up

Chris - First time I've seen/heard of the '97 Topps Timber Keeper Series; what's the background on this set?

Sean - any update with your potential claim against Topps?

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I wonder how much his cards will jump the next week after he is announced. There is a spike normally after they go in the Hall of Fame.

Members online