Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I a bad seller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
If the buyer is new to eBay maybe they dont have the app or arent keen with the etiquette. Pulling the plug on the guy before 2 days was harsh. if you were concerned about his feedback being so low (which i get) then maybe you should have just declined his BO no? To say that you had four offers out at $120 means you gave each person equal opportunity to accept your offer but didnt give each person the same leeway about payment. If he had 1000 feedback would you have been more willing to wait? Just my opinion.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If the buyer is new to eBay maybe they dont have the app or arent keen with the etiquette. Pulling the plug on the guy before 2 days was harsh. if you were concerned about his feedback being so low (which i get) then maybe you should have just declined his BO no? To say that you had four offers out at $120 means you gave each person equal opportunity to accept your offer but didnt give each person the same leeway about payment. If he had 1000 feedback would you have been more willing to wait? Just my opinion.
If he had a feedback of a 1000 then yes I would wait. Just like on some message boards people won't deal with people with no references. I admitted earlier I f'ed up not checking his feedback before sending the counter.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
If he had a feedback of a 1000 then yes I would wait. Just like on some message boards people won't deal with people with no references. I admitted earlier I f'ed up not checking his feedback before sending the counter.

As you mentioned before it is done at this point so you can't change anything at this point, but if the buyer reaches out to you today and says they are willing to pay but just needed a few days, would you honor his purchase and allow him to buy the card? Just food for thought, in the past year I have had three non paying bidders and each one had over 2000+ feedback. So it can happen no matter what the feedback.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
As you mentioned before it is done at this point so you can't change anything at this point, but if the buyer reaches out to you today and says they are willing to pay but just needed a few days, would you honor his purchase and allow him to buy the card? Just food for thought, in the past year I have had three non paying bidders and each one had over 2000+ feedback. So it can happen no matter what the feedback.
I would, wouldn't even think twice about it

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
2 quick points -

your listing does not mention any specific time period for payment to be made , so logically one would think they should be afforded AT LEAST the minimum as outlined by ebay ....i may be mistaken , but last time i checked , ebay ENCOURAGED 7 days and sent out an unpaid item reminder after 48 hours and a case could only be opened (manually or automatically) after 96 hours (which essentially then gives the buyer another 5 or 7 days to respond in MOST cases)....

you do state that you usually ship within two business days....if you allow yourself at least two days , i think you should have at least granted your buyer the same courtesy....if you canceled after 46 hours , ebay had not even sent out the unpaid item reminder yet....as others have said , just a bit too harsh IMO....

fwiw - going back to 1999 on ebay and 3 other online auction sites , i've actually had less than 20 non-paying bidders - and most were higher feedback....in fact i've found that many newbies are even more attentive to detail than their experienced counterparts , perhaps because they feel they need to "walk the line" so to speak in the beginning....

just my 2 cents....

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'll throw this out there...I'm notoriously a bad communicator on eBay. I'll buy things and pay a few days later. Do it all the time. I get busy with work and I'll literally forget. I may get 10 seconds while at work to look at eBay on my phone and make sure nothing I'm trying to win is going to end soon. Other than that I stay off to save my data. I hate paying on my phone because it's notorious for screwing up. But I always pay. Always. 100% of the time. I've been trying, especially lately, to not use credit cards. So, that said, if your auction ends on a weekday, I'm probably paying that Friday.

But I don't think sellers understand or care. They want their money very quickly and a lot more as of late have been very unwilling to wait. If it's a cheap card I'd understand. But they're doing it about any card. And I, like I'd assume most of us are, am not made of money. This is a hobby. So if you're selling an expensive card and unwilling to wait, you're selling yourself short. All in the interest of making money quickly. But in the end, it's probably costing you.

There are a couple of sellers on eBay who've lost a lot of money because they happen to sell things I want, they flood eBay with them all at one time, they all cost quite a bit to win, and they're unwilling to wait. It's their cards and that's fine. They can do what they want. So can I. And I'm not the one losing money. And before one of you folks who likes to argue for no reason other than to argue pipes up and says something along the lines of you have to pay right away, save it. That's you. Not everyone else.

All I'm saying is if sellers would be more flexible, realize this is a hobby for some of us, and it's kinda hard or not always possible to pay right away, I really don't think you'd find all buyers are bums.

As to the op, everyone starts somewhere. Over and done with. Just keep it in mind.

Members online

Latest posts