Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Football cards are doing well because... football is doing well. Football is the most popular sport in the US.

While many people want shiny, pretty cards with a bunch of doohickies attached to them, people are most likely to collect cards of the sport they're most interested in. The sport is most important.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Football rookie cards are more exciting because they're of actual rookies, most of whom are on an NFL roster, instead of a bunch of unknown 18-year-old kids who won't make the major leagues for 2 to 6 years.

But if football cards are really more popular than baseball cards, then why do football card message boards have a small fraction of the action of baseball card boards?

Football rookie cards are less exciting to me because the relic cards contain one of 5,000 Jerseys they wore on Photo Shoot Day.
Football rookie cards are less exciting to me because each player has 15 different RC Autos/Relics/Basecards 1/1s in each product.

Cam Newton only had 352 1/1s in his RC season.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The baseball card section of the hobby seems to have more true "collectors", which fosters more discussion on message boards. I feel like basketball and football are more about $$$, pulling that big card, flipping it for cash, etc. Obviously there's a ton of that in baseball as well, but there seem to be waaay more player/team collectors as opposed to the other sports.

At some point everybody goes through their "oooh I'm gonna make money!" phase before maybe they get past it and reconcile it as a money-losing hobby and just decide to have fun. With football/basketball those rookies you invested in are going to pay off or crap the bed pretty quickly so you can be in and out pretty fast without catching the collecting bug. In baseball the rookies take years to pan out or not, and maybe in that interim time you start to actually like cards and not just the prospect of making cash. So that could create higher turnover in collecting of other sports and limit message board discussion?

Plus I think just the nature of baseball as a sport somehow lends itself more to discussion. There seems to be a lot more baseball books than football and basketball books. The thinking mans game!

Richard

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I think it's premature to say there are no 2013 MLB rookies to drive cardboard. True its UNLIKELY someone will match up to the Strasburg, Harper, Trout hype of the past few years, but its still a long way from Spring 2013.

yclipper21

Feb 14, 2010
with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

My football collection is littered with 7th round special teams players, 4th round nickel backs, and once promising running backs. Yes money can be made in football, but baseball card collecting is far more superior to football in my opinion. I enjoy buying who I like or feel is undervalued and then selling for a profit to feed my PC. Football although loaded with many young stars is a drain on funds. Just opened 4 boxes of chrome because its hot, got 3 defensive player autos that unless they become Troy Polamalu, or Reggie White there worth spit. And a promising Isaiah Pead who is 3-4 on the depth chart at Rb. I'll take a Dan Vogelbach, Jose Fernandez (who many sold at less than 10 bucks on release including me) and USA autos of 16-18 year old kids any day because there is hope of future value. Football yes there are Tom Brady's and Terrell Davis, but those guys are few and far between. Basketball.... well its basketball its my favorite sport, but there are too many Gilbert Arenas, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Greg Odens to shake a stick at. RA Dickey.... Man even Angel Villalona still has a chance to return some profit 4 years later. Just my opinion for whatever that's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
My football collection is littered with 7th round special teams players, 4th round nickel backs, and once promising running backs. Yes money can be made in football, but baseball card collecting is far more superior to football in my opinion. I enjoy buying who I like or feel is undervalued and then selling for a profit to feed my PC. Football although loaded with many young stars is a drain on funds. Just opened 4 boxes of chrome because its hot, got 3 defensive player autos that unless they become Troy Polamalu, or Reggie White there worth spit. And a promising Isaiah Pead who is 3-4 on the depth chart at Rb. I'll take a Dan Vogelbach, Jose Fernandez (who many sold at less than 10 bucks on release including me) and USA autos of 16-18 year old kids any day because there is hope of future value. Football yes there are Tom Brady's and Terrell Davis, but those guys are few and far between. Basketball.... well its basketball its my favorite sport, but there are too many Gilbert Arenas, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Greg Odens to shake a stick at. RA Dickey.... Man even Angel Villalona still has a chance to return some profit 4 years later. Just my opinion for whatever that's worth.

Exactly why I do not open football, basketball or hockey anymore. You have to get lucky to make it worth opening those sports...
Getting a redemption of a 4th round defensive rookie in a product where you got 2 rookies per box.
There a very few collectors of non stars in other sports but baseball you have collectors buying everything...
Only reason Football seems to be so popular is because its all played on mostly 1 day! same as racing..
Baseball is another beast! Will beat out any product when you need collectors to buy.
Just look at the team collectors and player collectors on this board.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

It seems like someone always gets hot.. BG

Last edited:

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

Can't wait for the Lillard, Rose, Ali, Ichiro, Pujols Logoless product.

Thankfully, most stores and retailers are open minded to servicing the needs of their customers rather than being the censor of their local market..

Fortunately, the closed minded make up a tiny amount of the reseller market..

I guess your loss is Dave and Adams, blowout cards, etc gain...

BG

P.s- I respect your right to choose the products you carry, too bad your customers aren't given the same choice..

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

Ok ok we all know who doesn't like or carry leaf. Theres been 2,635,563 threads about that, but this isn't one of them.

Keep it on topic.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

I don't agree that there aren't team collectors or people who collect non-star players in football. That's absurd. There are a lot of great football players that aren't even considered stars but they produce like them. And yes, the discrepancy in the average price of defensive players' stuff versus offensive players is crazy. But that makes it a hell of a lot cheaper to collect whereas baseball or basketball, if the guy produces, you as a collector will pay!

I personally collect texans stuff and enjoy picking up autos of people not named Schaub, Andre Johnson, or Foster. So if a guy like Cushing or Joseph or manning isn't considered a star, ok. Same goes with Owen Daniels or Kevin Walter. I'm still buying.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

And football is more popular because it's faster, and there aren't 162 games a year. I love baseball. Always have and always will. But by July, I'm already getting burnt out.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I don't agree that there aren't team collectors or people who collect non-star players in football. That's absurd. There are a lot of great football players that aren't even considered stars but they produce like them. And yes, the discrepancy in the average price of defensive players' stuff versus offensive players is crazy. But that makes it a hell of a lot cheaper to collect whereas baseball or basketball, if the guy produces, you as a collector will pay!

I personally collect texans stuff and enjoy picking up autos of people not named Schaub, Andre Johnson, or Foster. So if a guy like Cushing or Joseph or manning isn't considered a star, ok. Same goes with Owen Daniels or Kevin Walter. I'm still buying.

I didn't say there aren't any, I said "There a very few collectors of non stars in other sports but baseball you have collectors buying everything..."

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Of course you're burnt out on baseball by July. You're an Astros fan.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :grouphug:

Uh no, I watch the rangers and Yankees too. Now what's your excuse?

Members online

No members online now.