Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some sellers on ebay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Boo-freakin-hoo, he called someone "boss".

So effin what??

Shoulda told the seller you'd trade him a box of tampons for it after his response.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
In the context of your response "Thanks anyways boss" or "Thanks anyways bro" comes off as ******* to me. I wouldn't have responded like the seller but I'm not a highly combative person. He could be real annoyed by certain types of guys and it set off his "cocky young a-hole" alarms. Not saying that's how you actually are but that's how it came off to me in the message.

Boiled down: the seller's a jerk and he thought you were being a jerk to him.
Richard

well said.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Boo-freakin-hoo, he called someone "boss".

So effin what??

Shoulda told the seller you'd trade him a box of tampons for it after his response.

Same could be said for the sellers response.

So the guy upped his price to $18 on the card that HE owns. So what? I don't know if the OP saw the card prior to the listing closing but I would have just shelled out the extra two bucks to buy it then.

Last edited:

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I will say this, as a seller, there is nothing I hate more than "what's the lowest you'll take on this??" Why would I tell you the lowest I'm willing to take? You should have started out with YOUR offer and gone from there, let him counter, etc. Had you done that, I'm pretty sure it would not have escalated to what it did. Technically, the sellers offer was there, $10+$3. Take that as a starting point and negotiate. If you offer $11 and he counters with his ridiculous response, then ignore him, or say "no thanks."

Is calling someone "boss" a big deal? No, but it's not difficult to see that it was used in a completely condescending way, which is just as big a d-bag move as was the sellers response.

And Chad's completely right, the customer is NOT always right. Not even close to "always".

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I will say this, as a seller, there is nothing I hate more than "what's the lowest you'll take on this??" Why would I tell you the lowest I'm willing to take? You should have started out with YOUR offer and gone from there, let him counter, etc. Had you done that, I'm pretty sure it would not have escalated to what it did. Technically, the sellers offer was there, $10+$3. Take that as a starting point and negotiate. If you offer $11 and he counters with his ridiculous response, then ignore him, or say "no thanks."

Is calling someone "boss" a big deal? No, but it's not difficult to see that it was used in a completely condescending way, which is just as big a d-bag move as was the sellers response.

And Chad's completely right, the customer is NOT always right. Not even close to "always".

For what It's worth, I went at thus seller with an offer of $11 dlvd, and he was still a ****** about it. Told him to relist it and I'll just grab it for the $10 starting bid.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
For what It's worth, I went at thus seller with an offer of $11 dlvd, and he was still a ****** about it. Told him to relist it and I'll just grab it for the $10 starting bid.

He might just shill you out of it too and that way if somebody wants it, they pay what he wants. But he should just do a bin if he wants the amount he does. Some sellers just seem to want to play games and give the illusion of a buyer being able to win something in a fair market situation.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
He might just shill you out of it too and that way if somebody wants it, they pay what he wants. But he should just do a bin if he wants the amount he does. Some sellers just seem to want to play games and give the illusion of a buyer being able to win something in a fair market situation.

He can shill all he wants. I won't bid over the $10, and if he shills, he'll get reported. Doesn't matter to me either way. I was just trying to help the OP out, by seeing if he would work with a more experienced ebay member.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
He can shill all he wants. I won't bid over the $10, and if he shills, he'll get reported. Doesn't matter to me either way. I was just trying to help the OP out, by seeing if he would work with a more experienced ebay member.

Nah, I understood you. Unrelated but... I lost out on a card a couple weeks ago because I threw a high max bid in, more than the card should have gone for, and the seller had only a couple of feedbacks, all as a buyer. So then another mystery bidder with only a few feedback proceeds to bid me up in $1 increments until they reach my max bid and they stop there. Truthfully I think they may have went over and then just canceled the last bid. Not sure. Anyways, I contact the seller and tell him this was kinda fishy. What do you know, I'm outbid by the other guy a day later. And sure enough, I don't win and a few days later I get a second chance offer. I mean, this is ridiculous! But it goes to show you how crazy some of these people are. Dude probably thought he had $25 in the bag when all I was doing was making damn sure I would win the card. His greed cost him all the way around. Not only did he not sell the card for $25, but he didn't get anything at all for it.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Nah, I understood you. Unrelated but... I lost out on a card a couple weeks ago because I threw a high max bid in, more than the card should have gone for, and the seller had only a couple of feedbacks, all as a buyer. So then another mystery bidder with only a few feedback proceeds to bid me up in $1 increments until they reach my max bid and they stop there. Truthfully I think they may have went over and then just canceled the last bid. Not sure. Anyways, I contact the seller and tell him this was kinda fishy. What do you know, I'm outbid by the other guy a day later. And sure enough, I don't win and a few days later I get a second chance offer. I mean, this is ridiculous! But it goes to show you how crazy some of these people are. Dude probably thought he had $25 in the bag when all I was doing was making damn sure I would win the card. His greed cost him all the way around. Not only did he not sell the card for $25, but he didn't get anything at all for it.

I know the feeling man. I am fairly certain that I got shilled on a Moustakas 2012 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor 5/5 last week. A new ebayer came in and beat me at the last second. 20% of his bids were with the seller, and he had won very few auctions.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I know the feeling man. I am fairly certain that I got shilled on a Moustakas 2012 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor 5/5 last week. A new ebayer came in and beat me at the last second. 20% of his bids were with the seller, and he had won very few auctions.

This kind of thing happens to me all the time. If it's obvious, like if the mystery bidder has bid on 20+ items for a total of 75+ bids over the last 30 days and 100% of those bids was with the seller in question, then I contact the seller EARLY in the bidding and tell them to knock it off or I will report them. They always deny any wrongdoing but then I suddenly notice the shilling ends and I and end up winning the card at a fair price. For those less obvious sellers, there's not much you can do about it...if you want the card bad enough, they're going to get away with it.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

I get what you're saying, but there is still something to be said for treating people with respect. I don't like it either when people ask me "What's the lowest you'll do on this card?", but I'm respectful enough that I will turn that question around and say "What do you think is a fair price?" From the way this seller handled this whole issue, he doesn't sound like a very stand-up guy, and no matter how the OP approached it, I'm sure the seller would have been a ****** about it. I have contacted plenty of sellers in the past where I have made fair offers in the first message, only to get hostile replies like "Are you effing kidding me?!?!" and "You must think I'm a complete idiot." A person's personality dictates how they handle this stuff, and the fact that this seller was trying to run up the price of a card in the first place tells me he just doesn't give a crap about other collectors.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I get what you're saying, but there is still something to be said for treating people with respect. I don't like it either when people ask me "What's the lowest you'll do on this card?", but I'm respectful enough that I will turn that question around and say "What do you think is a fair price?" From the way this seller handled this whole issue, he doesn't sound like a very stand-up guy, and no matter how the OP approached it, I'm sure the seller would have been a ****** about it. I have contacted plenty of sellers in the past where I have made fair offers in the first message, only to get hostile replies like "Are you effing kidding me?!?!" and "You must think I'm a complete idiot." A person's personality dictates how they handle this stuff, and the fact that this seller was trying to run up the price of a card in the first place tells me he just doesn't give a crap about other collectors.

Hit the nail on the head. I was very polite and made an offer in my initial message. He was still a *********.

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009
If it were me, I would have messaged him with an offer......I can stand for people to ask me what I would take for it.....offer what you want to pay, and go on....just my opinion

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I hate people in general. Customers are usually wrong, because they're entitled ********.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
If it were me, I would have messaged him with an offer......I can stand for people to ask me what I would take for it.....offer what you want to pay, and go on....just my opinion

I hate when people message me and ask what is the lowest I will take. My response every time is "What is the most you are willing pay?" Its typical in almost all situations. Buyer wants a deal, seller wants to maximize profits.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Funny part is, the sellers want the buyer to offer up a price first. Uuuhhhh.... If you're thinking you're entitled to an offer, just remember you're the one selling. I've got a zillion things to be interested in. My advice? You want my money, have a price in mind you are willing to sell the item for. Otherwise, I'll stick to buying from people who have their crap together. Cause I can always walk away and go after another card while you'll still being trying to sell your card.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Funny part is, the sellers want the buyer to offer up a price first. Uuuhhhh.... If you're thinking you're entitled to an offer, just remember you're the one selling. I've got a zillion things to be interested in. My advice? You want my money, have a price in mind you are willing to sell the item for. Otherwise, I'll stick to buying from people who have their crap together. Cause I can always walk away and go after another card while you'll still being trying to sell your card.

Ding ding ding. I'll usually email the seller and ask if they can give me a better deal. A good seller will negotiate a sale instead of being a jacktard.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009

The seller made the initial offer with the listed price. A buyer should offer from there. Your comment above goes for the buyer too. You want my item for less than my initial offer you should have a price in mind you are willing to pay.

Throw out a reasonable offer and I am willing to deal. Ask me what is the lowest I will go and I am annoyed.

Members online

Latest posts