Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A dealer's take on Stadium Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
To me, this is how it REALISTICALLY should be done.

18 packs a box
5 (or 6) cards a pack
2 autos a box
$5 per pack srp
Around $80 a box

Similar mix of inserts (maybe amp it up a bit) like this year's but
Make the base cards exactly like the inaugural '91 issue (complete with the "topps RC" photo on the back).

Obviously, make sure the base set photos are outstanding, just like this year's.

And to make us feel even more nostalgic, do "sample" variations just like the the originals had (3 gold foil lines on front and a generic back) as rare inserts in packs. These would be labeled as variations in today's hobby.

I think this would work. And I think a $3 retail pack product would too, especially since it brings back that nostalgic feeling which is a great way to hook former collectors.

Stadium Club SHOULD have a presence in this hobby and I think this year's issue is on the right track, just needs a bit of retooling.

Well the math states that is a $90 box at minimum and hobby shops will jack it up to $105 or so.

You're spinning your wheels.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
All this makes me miss those early Fleer Ultra releases. Wow those were sexy.

Another great coupla sets, but not at $60 per Mini box, like the current one that UD has done in football and hoops. The Hockey looks nice, but I haven't heard any reviews yet...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Not spinning anyone's wheels.

I can't control what any lcs charges except mine but if a product with 18 packs and $5 per comes in, my price would be $79-$85

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I wonder why Stadium Club didn't bring back the GU Dirt and GU Base cards. Have a couple GU a box, a couple Beam Team cards per case and then maybe a couple auto's per case. Go back to the Co-Signers, but make it logical pairings ! I think they'd see coin, hand over fist if something like this was done.

To be blunt, Topps needs to focus on cutting products and releasing less autographs per product.

If products are truly hard to find, they will be desirable. This decision will NEVER be implemented because it won't help TOPPS right now. However if they continue to put Koufax, Mays and Aaron in everything until their death those names will no longer have the luster that they have now.

Topps needs to not focus on manufactured scarcity (parallels, refractors) and focus on actual scarcity. If they do, they will create a market that can be sustained for another 60 years.

They can make BASE cards desirable if they want to. Look at 2012 Heritage High Sets.

Tops doesnt care so it will never happen

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Stadium Club died in 2002 when Topps got lazy and started using garbage card stock that chips.

1997-01 was the absolute pinnacle of TSC. I still look through my binders every few months

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I thought the inserts which were NOT serial numbered was just so out of this world and it's funny how we've been brainwashed to think that didn't use to be the case back in the '90s. I, too, believe that if they did this more often and even to the extent of not guaranteeing cards per pack or box, etc. then they would see huge results from it. Go back to SP or SSP and make people guess at the print run and how they can aquire them

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
No idea on the sticker/on card. Redemption.

Topps puts odds but they don't break it into tiers like they did in the past. Some of the older Archives boxes for sure had different tiers of autos, corresponding to SP/SSP. Now all autos are together, short-printed or not. So in a case with 36 autos, you get mostly crap and duplicates of the crap. It's a joke and it's too bad because Stadium Club is a beautiful product. One that will lose money for all the sellers for sure.

Good thing I only rip for fun then.Seems like every product they *have* to saturate it with more recycled RC autographs for some reason.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
To me, this is how it REALISTICALLY should be done.

18 packs a box
5 (or 6) cards a pack
2 autos a box
$5 per pack srp
Around $80 a box

Similar mix of inserts (maybe amp it up a bit) like this year's but
Make the base cards exactly like the inaugural '91 issue (complete with the "topps RC" photo on the back).

Obviously, make sure the base set photos are outstanding, just like this year's.

And to make us feel even more nostalgic, do "sample" variations just like the the originals had (3 gold foil lines on front and a generic back) as rare inserts in packs. These would be labeled as variations in today's hobby.

I think this would work. And I think a $3 retail pack product would too, especially since it brings back that nostalgic feeling which is a great way to hook former collectors.

Stadium Club SHOULD have a presence in this hobby and I think this year's issue is on the right track, just needs a bit of retooling.

Yeah, I always liked a picture of the Topps rookie card on back.Remember those awesome scouting reports and strike zone stats they used to put on the back?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Holy cow, did Topps actually take my suggestion for next year's issue?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts