Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
The guy actually listed some for auction... 99 cents and no reserve. I was able to get my guy (Mo Vaughn) for under $40. The ones he's unable to sell for his BIN, I expect to see at auction. Be patient. (a few lesser names sold for under $10)

That's what I'm hoping for now. He did have the Jay Bell at auction but it was the exact same price as the BIN ($74.99). I'm hoping he'll come down on the next listing of it.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
^^just came here to post this. Someone is going crazy over these. Makes me cringe about that Biggio sale awhile back

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Just saw a Karros Fleer Starting Nine on COMC (not mine) Seems like a good deal on it.

Saw that too. Not sure if we have any Dodgers/Karros guys around but yea, it's not being held hostage.

My first Starting 9 should be arriving tomorrow (Eric Chavez!). Also hit a 5.99 BIN on a Schilling only to be refunded, wrong decimal yada yada. Hey, one can dream right?

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
^^just came here to post this. Someone is going crazy over these. Makes me cringe about that Biggio sale awhile back

Late to this party, but these are some sweet looking cards. With that being said anyone trying to put this set together is NUTZ. 1) It will never be done (and I only mention that becuase of 2) Paying 200+ for any Pat Hentgen card is laughable IMHO. Then again, if I had uulimited funds I may go for it LOL

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Late to this party, but these are some sweet looking cards. With that being said anyone trying to put this set together is NUTZ. 1) It will never be done (and I only mention that becuase of 2) Paying 200+ for any Pat Hentgen card is laughable IMHO. Then again, if I had uulimited funds I may go for it LOL

The main guy going after the set started it in 1998. In 1998, Leaf R/S was THE ULTIMATE set for RCs. JD Drew was supposed to be the next Joe DiMaggio. Troy Glaus was hitting bombs at a ridiculous rate, Magglio, Carlos Lee, Mike Lowell, El Duque, Ruben Mateo, Jeremy Giambi, and a few other "Can't Miss" prospects were SPs in this set. Few sets created a buzz like 1998 Leaf Rookies/Stars. At the time, 1/1s were new. Common 1/1s brought RIDICULOUS amounts, and most collectors never had the luck to even see one, let alone own one. So to the higher-end prospectors with deep pockets, this was the pinnacle of collecting. They would go after the True Blue, Longevity, and Holographic Parallels. (Think superfractors of Trout, Harper, Bryant, etc).

The hype died down, and most of those "Sure Things" turned into subpar, mediocre MLB players at best. By that point a good number of those 1/1s were already [over]paid for. So I guess the guy figured he was pot-committed and had to see the project through.

Dec 4, 2008
Back in the early 2000's and into the mid-2000's I was hunting down a lot of these Starting 9's for a guy out on Cincinnati who was chasing the set. All told I probably sold him 30-40 of them. At the time the going rate was $40-45 per for commons and semis, a bit more for stars. Just looked back to see my old records but it looks like Gmail starts purging records after too long a time. One that was still there makes me cringe for today - sale was in January 2007. What do you think this would bring today?

Dear cardboardstars.com,

Congratulations! The following item just sold:
1999 FLEER STARTING NINE RARE INSERT KEN GRIFFEY JR #/9
Sale price:$199.95
Quantity sold:1
Subtotal:US $199.95
Shipping & Handling:
US Postal Service First Class Mail:US $2.50
0JZGxo0ZPOGkfFN-Eycp-EgMOjMWANZEMhXPaNDk2zbGUmj8jITlYjOczV4iWGjttfiDkGlfyPCcXZDRGx8=s0-d-e1-ft
Insurance:$2.30 (optional)
Sales tax:(none)
View item | Go to My eBay | Relist | Sell another item
0JZGxo0ZPOGkfFN-Eycp-EgMOjMWANZEMhXPaNDk2zbGUmj8jITlYjOczV4iWGjttfiDkGlfyPCcXZDRGx8=s0-d-e1-ft

Get Paid

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Click to send an invoice to the buyer.[/FONT]

Details for Item number: 130063221808

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I realized I've never actually posted my Starting 9 - cost me around $3. Only one I've been able to snag, though he is one of my favorite players from days gone by.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Back in the early 2000's and into the mid-2000's I was hunting down a lot of these Starting 9's for a guy out on Cincinnati who was chasing the set. All told I probably sold him 30-40 of them. At the time the going rate was $40-45 per for commons and semis, a bit more for stars. Just looked back to see my old records but it looks like Gmail starts purging records after too long a time. One that was still there makes me cringe for today - sale was in January 2007. What do you think this would bring today?

Dear cardboardstars.com,

Shipping & Handling:
Insurance:$2.30(optional)

Get Paid

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Click to send an invoice to the buyer.[/FONT]

Maybe a few bucks more ;) Don't worry bout it too much

Ryan

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country

hard to say for sure with such a limited item.....they can be found all over the map...i've seen some commons that have sold for under $7 dlvd and then i saw a jeff montgomery fetch $115 and a darrin fletcher go for over $200 (both of those were about 4-5 years ago now)...suffice it to say , a griffey could bring some serious coin these days.....

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
. What do you think this would bring today?

Dear cardboardstars.com,

Shipping & Handling:
Insurance:$2.30 (optional)

Get Paid

Click to send an invoice to the buyer.

I'd pay $1800 for one... and I'm on the cheap end of the Griffey spectrum

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd pay $1800 for one... and I'm on the cheap end of the Griffey spectrum

Didn't one sell in the last 6 months or so from samho-samho ? (guy has/had craziest collection I've seen come to market) What did that one bring ? Or am I mis remembering ?

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts