Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just a wacky thought for you player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I had an idea that I thought would be tailor made for some of you player collectors that collect doubles *cough* [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] *cough*...

What if some collectors had a goal to get as many cards of their guy in a set as there were cards in the set it came from, and store them in a factory set box? For example:

Let's say you have 792 1987 Topps Ozzie Smith ... you store them in a 1987 Topps factory complete set box.
How about 44 1988 Fleer Baseball's Exciting Stars Ozzie Smith? Get a box and put them in it.

And so on ...

What if a player collector could pick up every single topps complete set box that their guy was in and fill with him? That would be a mighty challenging task!

I thought that would be a cool way to keeping collecting doubles fun.

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I had an idea that I thought would be tailor made for some of you player collectors that collect doubles *cough* [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] *cough*...

What if some collectors had a goal to get as many cards of their guy in a set as there were cards in the set it came from, and store them in a factory set box? For example:

Let's say you have 792 1987 Topps Ozzie Smith ... you store them in a 1987 Topps factory complete set box.
How about 44 1988 Fleer Baseball's Exciting Stars Ozzie Smith? Get a box and put them in it.

And so on ...

I thought that would be a cool way to keeping collecting doubles fun.

I love most of your ideas, but I'm not a fan of this one, it would mess up my organization of my cards and I have some cards, the 1987 Topps for example that I would need several factory boxes for.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I love most of your ideas, but I'm not a fan of this one, it would mess up my organization of my cards and I have some cards, the 1987 Topps for example that I would need several factory boxes for.

For the rest of us mere mortals, it would probably be cool. For you however, you may need to work on filling an entire complete set case per year!

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My player collection is a little different than most player collectors. Well, maybe a lot different. :lol: I collect cards of people named Hogan in any sport. It can be their first name, or their last name. For instance Hogan Bassey (boxing) or Hogan Wharton (football). It's just something different. My wife calls it (or me) something else. :p

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Lol! I gotta ask. ..why? Love it!
My player collection is a little different than most player collectors. Well, maybe a lot different. :lol: I collect cards of people named Hogan in any sport. It can be their first name, or their last name. For instance Hogan Bassey (boxing) or Hogan Wharton (football). It's just something different. My wife calls it (or me) something else. :p

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My wife asked me the same question. Why ? It's just something different than a regular player collection. I have about 45 different cards. The pre-war players I go after are in poor to very good condition. I don't mind too much if cards that are trimmed (cheaper);). The 1887 N172 Old Judge cards were about $150.00 to $200.00 each in poor condition. There are 5 different poses for that player. I have 3 different cards. I'll buy a graded pre-war card if it's a good price. The cards from the 60's are usually commons. The modern cards are usually semi stars. Those might cost $5.00 to $10.00 each. I have a 1935 four on one Exhibit card with Babe Ruth and Frank Hogan with the Boston Braves. That was the most expensive at $600.00. I try not to get duplicate cards. I have one Ben Hogan card. I don't have any Hulk Hogan cards. He's a idiot.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I personally am not intrested in collecting doubles of any card, unless it's a jersey card with a different color swatch or something similiar.

For those junk era cards, though, I wonder if some guy is hoarding enough copies of, oh I dunno, say 1990 Upper Deck Andre Dawson :) , at what point would that hoard start to affect the value of that card? I guess the more accurate question might be, "Will there ever be a set/team/player collector in the future who actually needs the card but has a hard time finding a copy?"

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
There's a guy that's hoarding graded 1962 Curt Flood cards. And no one knows why.

1964 actually and I believe he had over 4000 raw the last time I heard.....

personally I collect as many of each card as I can find/afford/store though I do try to turn some of them into a little extra $$$ or new cards...

Last edited:

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I am nowhere close to Hawk8's level but I try to pick up a double or two. For the longest time I tried to limit to just 12 copies each. One for PC, one for 2nd PC (I don't know why I felt I needed to have a back-up PC), 9 for the Ultra pro pocket pages binder and the last one for another binder to remind me that I already have 12 of the card. Over the years that plan of action went out the window and I ended up with all kinds of extras, BUT...... to my defense, and I will say this again, I AM NOWHERE NEAR Hawk8's level. The most I have of any particular card (91 Donruss #52 ) is 186 cards. The rest are maybe 50 or less..

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If anyone is sacrificing being able to pick up a card they don't have to add doubles, I don't get it. So unless you have an unlimited budget and the $ you put toward doubles doesn't matter, I personally think it's "hurting" more than helping.

But for all of you that have doubles, quads, 100s of a card, keep rocking.

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sometimes I think of the better cards I could have if I didn't focus on a single player so intently. I have a pretty decent selection of stars from the 50s to present, but not all of the goodies, yet I have 100s of certified autographs of Garvey! Why? Not sure other than that is what I focus my collecting efforts on. How many other things could I also own? Lots!

Members online