Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Going to buy some 90's hobby boxes, but need some ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
If you were going to buy some hobby boxes to bust, which ones would you choose?

I'm leaning towards mid to late 90's, but want to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

Tim

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
Depends on if you are going for nostalgia, return on investment or just fun. I like the stuff Pinnacle did with all of the dufex style cards and they had some killer inserts to boot! Fleer brands had some great inserts - see Flair for example and the checklist was pretty good with a good representation of players. Or, if you just want to bust lots of cards for little money, Topps has lots of junk to open and enjoy. Most will not get you back what you paid, but if you are looking for fun, late 90's will hit the mark!

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Thanks. It is definitely tough to choose which to buy. My wife bought me a couple of 2015 Topps retail boxes from Wal Mart for Christmas. They were fun to open, but I haven't busted packs in a very long time and they just didn't hold the same excitement for me as busting packs of 90's cards back in the day.

I would like to have the fun factor, plus the ability to sell the cards that I don't want to recoup the money spent or have some trade stock.

Thank you for the tips.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
91 or 92 Base Score... Joe D/ Carl Y/ Stan M/ Mickey M autos... VERY few and far between but they are in there...

Skippy100

Sep 21, 2015
If I had the money, I would find an unopened box of 1996 Leaf Signature, or 1997 or 1998 Donruss Signature. 12 packs per box, each pack has an auto. I did pretty well with these back then. There were a couple redemptions, but I never pulled one in the numerous packs I opened. The best two cards I pulled out of 1997 Donruss Signature was a Greg Maddux (Millenium Marks) auto and a Don Mattingly (Significant Signatures) auto.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If I had the money, I would find an unopened box of 1996 Leaf Signature, or 1997 or 1998 Donruss Signature. 12 packs per box, each pack has an auto. I did pretty well with these back then. There were a couple redemptions, but I never pulled one in the numerous packs I opened. The best two cards I pulled out of 1997 Donruss Signature was a Greg Maddux (Millenium Marks) auto and a Don Mattingly (Significant Signatures) auto.

What do those boxes run?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I would chase the Upper Deck Piece of History sets. Either 3000 hits or 500 HR. You likely won't hit any but how awesome would it be if you did?

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I picked up a few boxes of random late 90's. Excited to get them, but will wait to bust them until I have 10 to 15 boxes to open all at once.

Hopefully, I'll get some good cards to either sell or trade.

Members online