Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to build new stadium for 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
How much of that money was gauranteed? In the NFL you take what you can get. You never know what tomorrow is gonna bring. I dont know how much money the man has, nor do I really care. It is a business and the Vikings offered him more than the Packers, so why not take it?

Whether it was guaranteed or not he still made nice bank.That's plenty of security, or at least it should be.Pretty sure today's players gets a nice retirement, so he should already be set when he does leave.Winning multiple Super Bowls is quite an accomplishment and can never be taken away.But whatever, hope he enjoys making a little more playing on a pathetic team with crap QB's throwing lame ducks all over the field.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Whether it was guaranteed or not he still made nice bank.That's plenty of security, or at least it should be.Pretty sure today's players gets a nice retirement, so he should already be set when he does leave.Winning multiple Super Bowls is quite an accomplishment and can never be taken away.But whatever, hope he enjoys making a little more playing on a pathetic team with crap QB's throwing lame ducks all over the field.
Who is it that decides what is plenty of security? What if he goes out there on Sunday and has a career ending injury? What if in ten years he has some sort of debilitating head issues because of his NFL career? You think he is gonna be worried about multiple super bowls then?

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
Erich, that article is terrible.

hahah totally agree Chris. That was one of the worst articles ever written by a leftist global warming alarmist full of white guilt. Dave Justice was traded to the Indians before Turner Field existed, so I'm not sure what ghost is lurking there with John Rocker.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
hahah totally agree Chris. That was one of the worst articles ever written by a leftist global warming alarmist full of white guilt.

Congrats on randomly stringing together a group of dismissive buzzwords. I agree that the style of the article was annoying (in the same style as your meaningless buzzwords) BUT the basic point that the county should not be paying for this stadium is absolutely correct.

There are tons and tons of studies done on this and they are as conclusive as anything in economics can be... it is ALWAYS a bad deal for the public when they pay for a stadium and the owners of the team keep the profits. Even a cursory investigation into this topic reveals this.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Congrats on randomly stringing together a group of dismissive buzzwords. I agree that the style of the article was annoying (in the same style as your meaningless buzzwords) BUT the basic point that the county should not be paying for this stadium is absolutely correct.

There are tons and tons of studies done on this and they are as conclusive as anything in economics can be... it is ALWAYS a bad deal for the public when they pay for a stadium and the owners of the team keep the profits. Even a cursory investigation into this topic reveals this.

This development isnt just a stadium though.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Who is it that decides what is plenty of security? What if he goes out there on Sunday and has a career ending injury? What if in ten years he has some sort of debilitating head issues because of his NFL career? You think he is gonna be worried about multiple super bowls then?

All the tens of millions he's made is plenty for any player to live on post football career.I'm fairly certain today's players have considerably better retirement and health benefits than players of yesterday.Really doubt he's going to care about $2 million more if he's diagnosed with some brain injury long after his career over.

I guess whomever said money can't buy happiness is a liar then.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
This development isnt just a stadium though.

This news story and infographic attribute all of the funding to stadium development:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/cobb-co-finance-45-new-atlanta-braves-stadium/nbrxj/

This website details the funding of the project (shows how the funds will be created through taxation):
http://www.fieldofschemes.com/

If you're referring to the concurrent commercial development that surrounds a stadium area, you'll find that all studies of the subject have found no relationship between stadium development and increased area revenue beyond an initial honeymoon period lasting 2-7 years. It pales in comparison to revenue increases from other types of commercial or infrastructure development.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
All the tens of millions he's made is plenty for any player to live on post football career.I'm fairly certain today's players have considerably better retirement and health benefits than players of yesterday.Really doubt he's going to care about $2 million more if he's diagnosed with some brain injury long after his career over.

I guess whomever said money can't buy happiness is a liar then.
You are making a lot of assumptions.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This news story and infographic attribute all of the funding to stadium development:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/cobb-co-finance-45-new-atlanta-braves-stadium/nbrxj/

This website details the funding of the project (shows how the funds will be created through taxation):
http://www.fieldofschemes.com/

If you're referring to the concurrent commercial development that surrounds a stadium area, you'll find that all studies of the subject have found no relationship between stadium development and increased area revenue beyond an initial honeymoon period lasting 2-7 years. It pales in comparison to revenue increases from other types of commercial or infrastructure development.

I'm certainly no expert on any of this. But I do know that if ANY place in the country can make it work it's east cobb county. Baseball is KING in North Atlanta and nothing comes remotely close.

The field of schemes article is very well done and even I can understand it. My problem is that I don't necessarily care about the cobb county property taxes increasing. It's yuppieville just like where I live in North Fulton. It would be one thing if you wanted the impoverished to pay for this, but I just can't feel sorry for people living in these huge homes that will have to pay an extra $26 a year to move their braves closer.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I'm certainly no expert on any of this. But I do know that if ANY place in the country can make it work it's east cobb county. Baseball is KING in North Atlanta and nothing comes remotely close.

The field of schemes article is very well done and even I can understand it. My problem is that I don't necessarily care about the cobb county property taxes increasing. It's yuppieville just like where I live in North Fulton. It would be one thing if you wanted the impoverished to pay for this, but I just can't feel sorry for people living in these huge homes that will have to pay an extra $26 a year to move their braves closer.

Dunno, lacrosse's future looks bright... the Cobb county people seem more worried about getting mass transit and the ne'erdowell's that it would possibly bring them a small property tax raise. As if they're going from a marta stop to gated communities

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
But you somehow aren't?You're right though, $8M a year is nothing more than lunch money.
I never said that 8 million dollars wasnt a lot of money. You seem to be flabergasted, and cannot understand why someone would want 10 million when they could make 8 million. Im just saying, thee are many reasons why someone would take 2 million more.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I never said that 8 million dollars wasnt a lot of money. You seem to be flabergasted, and cannot understand why someone would want 10 million when they could make 8 million. Im just saying, thee are many reasons why someone would take 2 million more.

Hardly "flabergasted", just looking at the other side of the coin.

benlee66

Sep 25, 2013
They are going to bulldoze the turtle pond! There is a decent sized man-made pond across from an office complex filled with river cooters. I have caught one with my bare hands. They are usually so skiddish you can't get within 20 ft of them.

The proposed parking lot is going to be about a thousand feet from my apartment complex. I live with all the undesirables. Amazing that they made it to Cobb County without MARTA! Also explains why this complex has been bought by new owners twice in the last two years. I'm not going to get into the politics. Just having been born and raised in Atlanta, not much surprises me. The traffic is soul-sucking.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
HAHA.. Undesirables.. That is funny. You must be up near Windy Hill.. If you ever want to get a good stabbing, check out the sports bar next to Blue Moon Pizza.. Quality place! I walked in one time after going to Blue Moon, and I swear I heard the record scratch and everyone looked up at us.. It was a pretty funny "Oh..GEE! I think I left my keys in the car!" moment

Members online