Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Redemption from Topps (scans included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
pulled the same Nomar redemption in a group break, caused some controversy b/c the checklist shows CUBS but obviously Nomar wasn't a CUBS rookie.

story from Topps was they outsourced these clear rookie reprints to another company and they screwed up. not sure if i believe it.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
Are you going to keep it?

I do plan on keeping it. I paid around $120 for the original redemption card and I don't think I could get more than that if I sold it.

Does anyone think that calling Topps will do anything? I've never called their customer service line to complain, but I have a feeling they're just going to say "sorry" and hang up on me...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've shared this before but Topps has been dicking us like this for at least 13 years.

2001 Topps Tribute= $50 pack

I bought one pack and hated myself all the way to the car. When I slid into the car I ripped it open and saw a redemption, great. As I read the redemption my mood began to change. "You are due to receive an original vintage Topps Ted Williams card. I look immediately at the odds on the pack. If I remember correctly, they were the highest odds in the product.

I redeemed and waited forever. I checked eBay and saw my card was going for $400-$500 all day. I dreamed of ripping open that bubble mailer to see my 1954 Topps Williams in PSA 5 condition.

When it came, I ripped, no slab. I turned the card over, no Red Sox logo.

I was crushed. 1970 Topps Washington Senators Manager card, in "Good" condition.

I'm still pissed even typing this up.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I've shared this before but Topps has been dicking us like this for at least 13 years.

I bought one pack and hated myself all the way to the car. When I slid into the car I ripped it open and saw a redemption, great. As I read the redemption my mood began to change. "You are due to receive an original vintage Topps Ted Williams card. I look immediately at the odds on the pack. If I remember correctly, they were the highest odds in the product.

I redeemed and waited forever. I checked eBay and saw my card was going for $400-$500 all day. I dreamed of ripping open that bubble mailer to see my 1954 Topps Williams in PSA 5 condition.

I was crushed. 1970 Topps Washington Senators Manager card, in "Good" condition.

Did you contact Topps about it? Crappy story, btw...

Apr 13, 2014

^ This is why I dont bust product anymore. The lows are lower than the highs are high (to me at least). Im pretty sure Tyrone the crackhead from the Chappelle show writes better IOU's than card companies.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY

This is the exact same scenario for me. Pulled the Williams redemption in a pack I got for Christmas. I believe you are a little low on sales prices as I remember them being closer to $750. Either way, I did the same as you. Since there aren't many original Topps Williams cards, I was definitely going to get something awesome and quite valuable. I think you got a better card than I did as the card they sent me was a 1976 Topps Sporting News All-Star. I raised hell with them. They eventually sent me 2 more Tribute packs to compensate. Unfortunately my brother got them out of the mailbox, before I got home from school, and opened them. 2 Tommy Lasorda jerseys. I'm still pissed too!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Huge fail on Topps side and disappointing if you're a Nomar fan because you're probably hoping for a Red Sox uni AT LEAST! Sorry about your luck. Redemptions are a huge risk.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I do plan on keeping it. I paid around $120 for the original redemption card and I don't think I could get more than that if I sold it.

Does anyone think that calling Topps will do anything? I've never called their customer service line to complain, but I have a feeling they're just going to say "sorry" and hang up on me...

Sorry to hear that.I didn't think the redemptions sold for that.I won one of these recently, I don't think it is a rookie image either.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

Wow, that is awful.Why the hell would Topps think anyone would want a Williams Senators card?That's as bad as UD making all those Dimaggio Athletics relic cards years ago.

Members online

Latest posts