Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Getting my Maxx Williams cards graded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
I know I shouldn't get all the cards graded, but cards of him that are Autographed or other special ones should I consider getting those graded? I know he is just a rookie so should I wait a little before doing something like this or go ahead and do it right off? Thanks

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
[MENTION=12588]Golden Gopher[/MENTION]

I would first compare companies and see which one you like best (PSA vs BGS) their grading system is completely different so also look into that.

Next, I would but a standard on a card, aka you only want to grade something say 9.5, (or much lower if vintage) so spotting card defects yourself is important before sending. Main categories are centering, surface, corners, edges.

Also see a pop. report of the card you're thinking of sending, and how the company is doing that card. I thought about grading my Crusades but am not happy at all with any companies flippant scores on that set.

edit:and for your final question, I don't think there's a time rush unless you're looking to flip. In fact it's the opposite- there will always be graders around, but the pool of cards you're looking for can certainly dry up.

Last edited:

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
@Golden Gopher

I would first compare companies and see which one you like best (PSA vs BGS) their grading system is completely different so also look into that.

Next, I would but a standard on a card, aka you only want to grade something say 9.5, (or much lower if vintage) so spotting card defects yourself is important before sending. Main categories are centering, surface, corners, edges.

Also see a pop. report of the card you're thinking of sending, and how the company is doing that card. I thought about grading my Crusades but am not happy at all with any companies flippant scores on that set.

edit:and for your final question, I don't think there's a time rush unless you're looking to flip. In fact it's the opposite- there will always be graders around, but the pool of cards you're looking for can certainly dry up.
Thanks, it looks like I have some work ahead of me them before I jump into grading anything.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Thanks, it looks like I have some work ahead of me them before I jump into grading anything.

I'm more of a baseball collector but I think it's the same in most sports-

modern rookie/prospects = BGS
medium aged cards = PSA
prewar = SCG

also can be seen as-

young people = BGS
middle age = PSA
Hans Moleman = SCG

:lol:

not always true but its good to keep in mind. for example you'll get less resale for a 2015 rookie in a SCG, thats for sure.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015

medium aged cards = PSA
prewar = SCG

also can be seen as-

young people = BGS
middle age = PSA
Hans Moleman = SCG

:lol:

not always true but its good to keep in mind. for example you'll get less resale for a 2015 rookie in a SCG, thats for sure.
Great information. It looks like my best best would be BGS right now then. Right now I don't think I can afford getting them graded anyway as I am just about to start my Senior Year at Minnesota. Maybe after I finish and have my degree and hopefully get a real job I can afford it.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Great information. It looks like my best best would be BGS right now then. Right now I don't think I can afford getting them graded anyway as I am just about to start my Senior Year at Minnesota. Maybe after I finish and have my degree and hopefully get a real job I can afford it.

Sounds good. I would just save money up for his Super when it gets pulled, the rest could get more affordable down the road whereas the Super might not be seen again.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas

medium aged cards = PSA
prewar = SCG

also can be seen as-

young people = BGS
middle age = PSA
Hans Moleman = SCG

Hey! I use SGC for my T206's and my 1948 Bowman Football & Basketball collections!

(Your generalization, however, is correct.)

1440030720967.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Hey! I use SGC for my T206's and my 1948 Bowman Football & Basketball collections!

(Your generalization, however, is correct.)

View attachment 53739

:lol: great visual.

If I ever started a second set (besides my Crusades) it would be either T204 or T205, and I'd get them SGC graded (even though I called them SCG above...not old enough to know real name) so I can't blame you or Hans there. ;) How many T206s do you have?

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I am at 517 of 524. The Green Cobb Portrait is in the mail as we speak. It's a PSA card now, so I will need to get ut crossed over to SGC.

After that, I will be down to two (the Demmitt and O'Hara variations). I will call it quits at 520 because the final four cards (Wagner, Plank, Doyle variation, Magee error) will require a lottery win to buy. :)

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I am at 517 of 524. The Green Cobb Portrait is in the mail as we speak. It's a PSA card now, so I will need to get ut crossed over to SGC.

After that, I will be down to two (the Demmitt and O'Hara variations). I will call it quits at 520 because the final four cards (Wagner, Plank, Doyle variation, Magee error) will require a lottery win to buy. :)

Wow, just amazing.. congrats.

Missing those blockade cards make my Crusade problems seem chickensht, at least I could technically pull them in packs still.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

That's very impressive !

Ryan

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015

That is extremely awesome.

Members online

Latest posts