Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Triple Threads Big Hits!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
No, it just means the autograph has been authenticated under that sticker number. PSA also authenticates game used bats but a bat could conceivably have auto authentication, GU authentication or both.

That's the case here. The cert # is 1B05294 for anyone curious.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
PSA also authenticates game used bats but a bat could conceivably have auto authentication, GU authentication or both.

I"m still not convinced the Henderson bat is a gamer. Given the database number mcgoo2 gave, it says it's PSA/DNA's opinion the bat is "genuine". The certificate doesn't say that it's PSA/DNA's opinion the bat is game-used or uses the phrase "game-used" anywhere in their opinion statement or bat specs.

Does PSA/DNA only check to see if the bat is the model Rickey Henderson used? I wonder if their opinion of "genuine" would be the same no matter if it was a true game-used bat or if it was a bat that a fan had made based on Rickey's bat model for the purposes of getting it inked at a show.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Why would Topps leave those PSA stickers on this stuff? Just opens things up for question. Otherwise you'd be all in that it's a gamer.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I"m still not convinced the Henderson bat is a gamer. Given the database number mcgoo2 gave, it says it's PSA/DNA's opinion the bat is "genuine". The certificate doesn't say that it's PSA/DNA's opinion the bat is game-used or uses the phrase "game-used" anywhere in their opinion statement or bat specs.

Does PSA/DNA only check to see if the bat is the model Rickey Henderson used? I wonder if their opinion of "genuine" would be the same no matter if it was a true game-used bat or if it was a bat that a fan had made based on Rickey's bat model for the purposes of getting it inked at a show.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I think it means that the bat doesn't have enough provenance to say it was definitivley used in a game. The bat was the right model and had evidence of use but, it didn't come with absolute proof it was used by Rickey in an MLB game.

To cut Topps some slack, that's pretty common for older bats. It isn't like the MLB was selling their certified game used bats on their website in the 80's. Outside of player estate sales, strong provenance is pretty hard to come by.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
Where did you obtain that cert # ?

Google. If you google the cert number it brings up the auction where the bat was won. A lot of the older mem used in cards can be found this way. It's how I found that Panini got a bunch of the 2012 NT inventory was bought on Heritage.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Google. If you google the cert number it brings up the auction where the bat was won.

thanks for the tip!

Doing a google search like you did to get the bat info, I found the auction site that sold the bat and the scan of the PSA/DNA letter of authenticity has different info than than the info listed on the PSA/DNA website when you enter that bat ID number.

On the website, it calls the bat "genuine". In the physical letter of authenticity, it calls the bat "authentic" and even seems to lead one to believe it's game used by including the phrase "... was used by Henderson during the referenced labeling period.". It also has an explanation about why PSA/DNA thinks the bat is authentic, info that was left off the website lookup. It also answers my Q posed earlier in this thread - they consider it authentic based on the fact the model number, weight and length matches the manufacturer's bat ordering records for the labeling period (1986).

BxYC8XRIUAAvfI7.jpg:thumb

David Wright Triple Game Used Letter Patch Card Booklet 1/1

Mine

Members online