Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Box came in today. Thanks to very one for making this the quickest trip it has seen! No hang ups anywhere along the way! Nice work to all!!!

I think a lot of guys must have found stuff they could use because the content is pretty different from what I sent out. That is great, as that was one of the main points of doing this. I do feel that the overall quality of the box took a substantial hit this round. There were about 500 base cards that I just weeded out again and I pulled the not-so-vintage vintage out. See below - most of it is severely damaged and essential fire starter material or it is fairly recent 80's common base cards that just take up space. And while Panini looks neat and people always like chrome, I still feel base cards have no place in the box so they were taken out. Once one person sees base cards then they think it is okay to add some and so on and then there are, well, 500 of them.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1389317411.853277.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1389317523.233623.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1389317639.816322.jpg

The oversized cards... So, yeah... These are DONE. Super destroyed and clearly not worth sending around again.

I'd love to start a round four, but frankly, the remaing content doesn't justify a $16.95 commitment for postage. We would really need to rebuild the game used and auto supply with some decent stuff (don't need any more IP autos of common players or Topps AUs of guys no one ever heard of). It has gone too far down the road of low end no name refractors and prospect inserts of guys who went nowhere.

Just to reiterate, I'm not mad about or anything like that. I'm actually very happy that the better cards were pulled and found new homes with folks that can use them! I just think we need a decent rebuild before it goes back out.

I am willing to keep the efforts moving forward for a rebuild if there is interest from the community and a commitment round 4 members to try and make it better as it passes through your hands.

Thanks for now and let's see where we go with this. As always, feedback, thoughts and comments welcome!!!

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I will sit out round four, but I will look to see what I have that could help re-stock it. It was pretty bare by the time it made it to me. I took out a chunk of base, but there was plenty left.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
I woulda loved those base cards haha I wish I had enough quality material to participate in the next round but I just don't think I can make the cut, don't see much of what I have being beneficial to anyone.. Primarily base cards and mostly 80s/90s

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm in for the next one. Once it fills out, I can send stuff to you to add. It sucked being towards the end because I couldn't put little packages together specifically for members (I love you guys,but my wallet wouldn't like me sending out multiple packages at once). I did send something out directly to [MENTION=4248]rum151man[/MENTION] for putting something together for me. Thanks.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Glad it made its way all around with no issues.

Totally agree on weeding out, nice job.

As for the contents, so it's not much good left?! Or it's just full?

I don't see anything wrong with any autos or game used being added, I mean how cool would it be to have a large flat rate box of all autos and game used essentially? Leave the base out obviously.

Not b!tching but I know I would be interested in and Indians autos or game used, doesn't bother me to have no names, I don't know.

Maybe that's what the low end thread is for? I'm cool with that.

Anyways, everything depending, I might be interested in next round.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Glad to hear that the box made it around, kind of bummed that it didn't keep growing in quality. It seemed like a lot of members did add more to it then they took (which I thought was the point) sad to hear that Bill thought the overall quality of the box went down on this trip. Thanks again to Bill Menard for doing this I have enjoyed participating in this thread both as a receiver of the box and as an observer.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Anyone who wants to help with a rebuild just PM me for address.

Anyone who wants to participate in Round 4 please PM me your info (assuming you meet requirements to participate posted in first post)

Address. Phone number. Players you collect. Favorite teams. Anything else you like/collect.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Anyone who wants to help with a rebuild just PM me for address.

Anyone who wants to participate in Round 4 please PM me your info (assuming you meet requirements to participate posted in first post)

Address. Phone number. Players you collect. Favorite teams. Anything else you like/collect.
I'm interested in the next round again but want to know the new ground rules for take/add, what qualifies now as stuff we can't add (which a lot I agree with, like no more base, etc.) and all.

Not being picky but it's good to know if the box is going to become an all mid-level minimum insert, game used and auto box and nothing more and nothing less. Just good to know before someone commits.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Hi All -

Is anyone still interested in trying to keep the box alive? I didn't hear from anyone via PM after the last request for a rebuild, so if we don't get a response here, I'll assume this is dead and move on with piecing out the box items I've no interest in or use for through the freebies threads.

If we want to keep moving it forward, we need to add in some game used and autograph stuff. I picked up some game used at the last show for the box and I'm going to get more next weekend at the local show.

The box is pretty much low end inserts from recent Topps and Bowman products with some scattering of older inserts. There is a 300 ct. box of current (past 5 years or so) refractors, but all pretty much commons or semi-stars. A lot of nicer stuff was taken, but not replaced with better cards. It appears more quantity was added, but that was about it. I'm happy to send this back out as is, but for those that have already participated, I don't think they are going to be too thrilled to spend $16.95 for shipping on a box of stuff that they have all pretty much already seen.

If some people want to participate and/or chip in for a rebuild, we can try that. I'll see if I can get down to a medium size or a Regional Box B to get the cost down a bit for shipping.

As for what I'd like the box to be... Well, I really didn't want this to be about feeling like you have to add certain things, etc., but maybe some "rules" are needed to ensure it's growth. I'd like it to grow to be mainly game used and autos with some nice inserts or stuff that you don't see everyday. I'd like it to get away from low end insert cards and base cards, which we were on our way to, but I think this last round, we stepped backwards. Honestly, a lot of the low end that was in the box from round 1 continues to be in there after round 3 and was added to, so it really didn't grow in quality, just quantity above and beyond what was there to begin with (round 1 was a medium flat to start and now we are at a large flat with much of the same quality stuff). I'd like to pull this kind of stuff (especially if it has been there since round 1).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is just me and I haven't been following the "pictures" for what guys took and replaced with after me but I'm somewhat shocked the box got all the way around and it's skin and bones now...

When I got the box it was JAMMED with stuff and I didn't take enough to justify the $20 s/h with delivery confirmation but was happy to be a part of it and essentially just trade some things around and take some Indians stuff and Belle commons.

IMO your post about the box being only memo and auto cards of stars or whatever just scared me away and I was interested in just watching y'all continue it. Are you going to make the box smaller? A box of nearly only mid- to high-end memo and autos is going to be a pretty valuable item being moved around the country.

At the end of the day, if what you're saying it true, it's sad people took more than what they put back into the box... who was it? Call people out? I mean I thought the concept was to take pictures of everything in/out? I think some people just took one pictures from the ceiling of their bedroom of a stack of cards and that's not what you were trying to accomplish with the whole "taking pictures" part of the to-do list for those included.

This is a rant but it's frustrating to hear the box came back to you as a zero because the concept isn't that every time the box comes back to you that some members have to send you stuff to load it up and then it just gets picked apart through the process.

To be clear, I'm probably out going forward. The funnest part to me was just being part of it and looking through all the cards from different eras, etc.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Sorry if I wasn't clear on this - there are game used and autos still in the box and there are some nice inserts still in there, but what went out versus what came back is far fewer of those better cards and more of lower end inserts as filler and I don't see the point of sending this stuff back around to the same crowd that passed on it two times before. So I posted we need to build it up with some different stuff and let's try to get away from base and move more towards GU and Autos. I hope that makes sense!

If we had 10 NEW participants, then sure, we could send what we have. But, after two requests for additional participants for a 4th round, I've gotten an "I'm in" from Ashburn, Astroburn, some guy who's too new to participate and just wants me to give him the base cards, enfuego79 (several people asked that he not be allowed to participate due to previous concerns) and you (but now you are saying your out). I don't have concerns about enfuego and he's been around for a while now and seems to be okay, so I'm fine with him participating. So, basically, Ashburn, Enfuego, myself and Astroburn are in for the next round. Give me 8 more new guys and I'll send what we have as is. Astroburn will probably love it.... there are tons of Astros in the box, as I don't think anyone who has participated so far collected them.

The box was about helping to build collections. I asked that people try to improve the contents, that was all. But I realize perhaps not everyone had stuff to improve the box, so no, I won't call people out. I'm glad people found stuff they liked! It was originally about doing something fun and getting the stuff I (ME, BILL) didn't want out of the house in hopes of it turning more into stuff I would like when it returned. Of course, it didn't quite go that way and so I chose to keep it moving for additional rounds. It grew in Round 2, regressed in Round 3 and I don't know what it will do for Round 4, but all I'm saying is that in order to make it a worthwhile venture, we need to put some stuff in before it starts going around again.

If there is no interest in moving forward, then I'm going to blow it up through the Freebie thread here, or previous participants can send me money for shipping and I'll send stuff back to them. Alternatively, it can sit in my closet until the summer and I'll try a new posting for this and see if people are interested then. Maybe some new blood at that time or people who don't have the time/posts at FCB to participate now, will by then.

Members online

Latest posts