Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
Mailday - Griffey Jr style

Pleasantly surprised that the autos are on card - well done, Topps

13_Topps_TheGreatsAutographRelics_KGJ_zpsc9ce78cf.jpg

13_Topps_TheGreatsAutographs_KGJ_zps132a9568.jpg

As nice as these 2013 cards are - Vintage Jr. with a beautiful signature, we all had high hopes for Topps last year! How quickly our hopes were dashed as the dreaded 'stickers' resurfaced after they set the 'hooks' in us once again! We were fine through Tier 1 but then Triple Threads hit the streets and it was all downhill the rest of the year! BUT - based on these first 2013 issues, on card autos are back and we get our hopes up once again! How long before the dreaded 'stickers' reappear???

Attached you will see everything that is wrong with Topps and the stuff they are putting out. This is the '12 TTT Sapphire Insert numbered 1 of 3. Just received it after such a long wait and what a big letdown!!! The 'sticker' I can live with but the red and white materials for vintage Jr.???? Have you ever seen anything so ugly in your life!!! Just matches up beautifully with the sapphire color!!! To top off this huge disappointment, the card is miscut!!! With an edition of 3, you know how much luck I will have with a 'replacement'!!!

View attachment 16862

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
As nice as these 2013 cards are - Vintage Jr. with a beautiful signature, we all had high hopes for Topps last year! How quickly our hopes were dashed as the dreaded 'stickers' resurfaced after they set the 'hooks' in us once again! We were fine through Tier 1 but then Triple Threads hit the streets and it was all downhill the rest of the year! BUT - based on these first 2013 issues, on card autos are back and we get our hopes up once again! How long before the dreaded 'stickers' reappear???

Attached you will see everything that is wrong with Topps and the stuff they are putting out. This is the '12 TTT Sapphire Insert numbered 1 of 3. Just received it after such a long wait and what a big letdown!!! The 'sticker' I can live with but the red and white materials for vintage Jr.???? Have you ever seen anything so ugly in your life!!! Just matches up beautifully with the sapphire color!!! To top off this huge disappointment, the card is miscut!!! With an edition of 3, you know how much luck I will have with a 'replacement'!!!

View attachment 16862

The attachment image wouldn't open for me. Anybody else having that issue?

The description of it sounds horrible. Very tough break. I have bought some redemptions in the past, but I don't think I'll buy anymore new Griffey autos until I get to see what the card looks like in hand.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
scanners down, so I stole this from Flarick

Thanks for posting that Magic! I really want that one and would prefer that over the one that I have, since it was a 1999 pull from a pack. The 2009 "20 Years" card is a really nice one too though.

Thanks for posting the other cards. I also really want that 1998 SP buyback. That is the only year from the 90's that I am missing.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
The attachment image wouldn't open for me. Anybody else having that issue?

The description of it sounds horrible. Very tough break. I have bought some redemptions in the past, but I don't think I'll buy anymore new Griffey autos until I get to see what the card looks like in hand.

Yeah it isn't opening. I would assume you could still get decent $ back from resale, hopefully.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah I can't believe it lasted that long. I check ebay pretty frequently, so I guess I (and everyone else on here) just got unlucky with that one. I mean, what's next? A reasonable comparison would be a red crusade listed at $125 buy it now? Could you imagine Steve Brinn's reaction if he wasn't the one to scoop up a red crusade at that price? Sorry Steve, I definitely don't mean to poke fun. We all just know how much you want that card.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I can't believe it lasted that long. I check ebay pretty frequently, so I guess I (and everyone else on here) just got unlucky with that one. I mean, what's next? A reasonable comparison would be a red crusade listed at $125 buy it now? Could you imagine Steve Brinn's reaction if he wasn't the one to scoop up a red crusade at that price? Sorry Steve, I definitely don't mean to poke fun. We all just know how much you want that card.

What is the market for the gold card & the red crusade...I'm not familiar with the prices on that stuff

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
What is the market for the gold card & the red crusade...I'm not familiar with the prices on that stuff

Well they very rarely come up, but the Crusade Red is probably a $3000 card these days, if not more. Steve Brinn would probably fork out close to $4000 when the next one surfaces, but I don't know if there is anybody else willing to match that. That is his best insert from the 90's, with the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold coming in a close second. That mirror gold card is worth about $2000-2500. I'm not entirely sure about the 24 Karat card, but it is probably in the $500-800 range, perhaps more. It is hard to put an accurate value on some of the really rare ones from the 90's.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Well they very rarely come up, but the Crusade Red is probably a $3000 card these days, if not more. Steve Brinn would probably fork out close to $4000 when the next one surfaces, but I don't know if there is anybody else willing to match that. That is his best insert from the 90's, with the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold coming in a close second. That mirror gold card is worth about $2000-2500. I'm not entirely sure about the 24 Karat card, but it is probably in the $500-800 range, perhaps more. It is hard to put an accurate value on some of the really rare ones from the 90's.

Yeah makes sense...I just saw it was out of 24...and if I knew anything about that insert it would make me sick too for a sale of $80

Griffey collectors are absolute sharks & if anything like that comes up I've noticed "the market" eliminates the bargain immediately...I know my place on the totem pole

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009

Also depends on the set collector's. I know of a big time collector putting that set together and I sold him the Frank Thomas for $1K, so bidding could get pretty crazy if the right couple of bidders were involved. I'd guess Griffey a $1300 to $1500 card, but wouldn't shock me at $2K plus either.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Well based on the sellers feedback (lots of sales) and the rest of the 24kt gold cards on eBay that looks like a mis listing to me. That price makes little sense...350 would be a steal...look for it to be relisted

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts