Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can a buyer win a case on ebay if he feels he paid too much shipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I had a buyer win an item. It was a new pair of binoculars in the box that I had to put in a different box. He said that actual shipping cost should be what it costs me. I told him it is for shipping and handling and he should have not bid if he didn't agree what I charged for shipping. He then goes ahead and opens a "item not described" case against me. He already left me positive feedback saying it was a great transaction but he decided today to open a case. I don't think the buyer has a shot at a "partial shipping refund" or does he? Thanks....

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He's a fool. He already left positive feedback.
And why does he think he can file an "item not as described" complaint if the shipping is described in the auction?
Logically, he doesn't have a case. But with eBay, you never know since they seem to usually side with the buyer.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
If you haven't already done so, add him to your blocked bidders list. He may not win this case, but could decide to screw with you on another item.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Personally I think once feedback is left the transaction is done and over. His case should have no legs.

Let us know how this turns out.

- Rodrick

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Logically, he doesn't have a case. But with eBay, you never know since they seem to usually side with the buyer.

This is the sad truth, but chances look like you should be safesince he left feedback already more or less "agreeing" that the transaction went well.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
I knew that would flame me but my kid got them with his buddies. I even cancelled his previous auctions but my wife got involved to help my kid pay down a purchase. She has no idea. You think I would have posted in here regarding ebay if their wasn't consequences of looking my auctions up getting my balls broke? Look up my past auctions. You'll find one other (recent) in over 1400+ transactions. Wife + kid and ebay don't mix. He learned this crap on youtube.

Last edited:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Tell the wife and kids forging autographs is also highly profitable, why stop here. Hell reseal them who cares.

A_Pharis

A better lesson for a kid would be to take the packs from him and make him earn the money back another way. Show him that doing things like that is not beneficial for anyone.
By no means am I trying to tell you what you should do for your own child, but he won't learn anything other than pack searching makes money.

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
A better lesson for a kid would be to take the packs from him and make him earn the money back another way. Show him that doing things like that is not beneficial for anyone.
By no means am I trying to tell you what you should do for your own child, but he won't learn anything other than pack searching makes money.

Round of applause!!! Huzzah!

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Personally I think once feedback is left the transaction is done and over. His case should have no legs.

Not true. I had a buyer file after he left positive feedback & eBay sided with him. I had to give a full refund after he returned it. I even called eBay to ask about it & I learned that the feedback isn't always a sign of a done deal if he claims the item is different or not as described.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Shipping is designed to cover your costs, not be a profit center. If sellers would remember this, shipping charges would not be that big of a deal. You can recoup the cost of postage, insurance, DC, packing materials, etc, but you can't make money doing so. Handling is a catch all for sellers to make up fees and such, but in reality, you can't just make up extra fees to charge for the fun of it. Shipping costs are fairly well structured on ebay, if people read and follow the guidelines. It's a joke to see a seller charge a handling fee, then use a priority box PROVIDED by the USPS for FREE or a well used recycled mailer! You should not be charging for time, gas, etc. Media even has set shipping maximums...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/maximum_shipping.html#maximum

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#postage

Just out of curiosity, do you remember how much the postage was vs. the amount charged for s/h and did you use your own packing materials?

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
Shipping was $10.50 plus DC which was another $1.05 or something and used bubblewrap. I did use a box I had. I charged $14.99.

Shipping is designed to cover your costs, not be a profit center. If sellers would remember this, shipping charges would not be that big of a deal. You can recoup the cost of postage, insurance, DC, packing materials, etc, but you can't make money doing so. Handling is a catch all for sellers to make up fees and such, but in reality, you can't just make up extra fees to charge for the fun of it. Shipping costs are fairly well structured on ebay, if people read and follow the guidelines. It's a joke to see a seller charge a handling fee, then use a priority box PROVIDED by the USPS for FREE or a well used recycled mailer! You should not be charging for time, gas, etc. Media even has set shipping maximums...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/maximum_shipping.html#maximum

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#postage

Just out of curiosity, do you remember how much the postage was vs. the amount charged for s/h and did you use your own packing materials?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You were in the ballpark. Looks like you were maybe a few bucks high, but I am not assigning a cost to the bubble wrap and the box. Most people probably don't buy that stuff, unless they ship a lot of things. I have saved packing materials for years and would not have to buy sleeves, top loaders, cardboard, mailers and such for a long time if I started selling. Technically, I probably paid for all of them in my shipping fees paid to other sellers, but I would not try to recoup my costs as a seller by charging for these recycled items. Odds are, I will probably end up throwing them away because of the space they take up and the fact that I am not using them.

It's funny that the typical single card charge these days is $3, but it has been that way for years. With recent postage hikes, this amount seems more in line, but it still feels excessive to me. I won't be surprised if that rises to $4 soon though.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
I charge $2.99 for a single card or cards in a lot. With DC it costs over $4. So I only use DC if the card is a over $12.

You were in the ballpark. Looks like you were maybe a few bucks high, but I am not assigning a cost to the bubble wrap and the box. Most people probably don't buy that stuff, unless they ship a lot of things. I have saved packing materials for years and would not have to buy sleeves, top loaders, cardboard, mailers and such for a long time if I started selling. Technically, I probably paid for all of them in my shipping fees paid to other sellers, but I would not try to recoup my costs as a seller by charging for these recycled items. Odds are, I will probably end up throwing them away because of the space they take up and the fact that I am not using them.

It's funny that the typical single card charge these days is $3, but it has been that way for years. With recent postage hikes, this amount seems more in line, but it still feels excessive to me. I won't be surprised if that rises to $4 soon though.

Members online

Latest posts