Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Various retail exclusive parallels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
At the moment most of these parallels don't sell too well. But I could see some of the obscure one being quite valuable in a few years when theses products dry up and the younger players mature.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Are you referring to a specific set? Retail parallels have long been a thorn in many a player collector's side. Not necessarily in value, but rarity for sure. Especially "lesser" stars

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
I'm been busting Prizm retail and stocking up on stuff like red white and blue pulsars and camo prizms. Also I am buying Topps retail to build up a stash of stuff like the toys r us purples and i.e. chasing history parallels, wal-mart blue backs. I just busted 50 blasters of 2009 Tristar Obak just for the exclusive Obama retail cards. I think Obama's card prices have bottomed out at this point

img565_zpswm86bnra.jpg

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm been busting Prizm retail and stocking up on stuff like red white and blue pulsars and camo prizms. Also I am buying Topps retail to build up a stash of stuff like the toys r us purples and i.e. chasing history parallels, wal-mart blue backs. I just busted 50 blasters of 2009 Tristar Obak just for the exclusive Obama retail cards. I think Obama's card prices have bottomed out at this point

Not a bad idea. I was hunting 2012 Prizm retail parallels for a couple years! I was happy to pay $20 a pop for the Walmart Blues I needed

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
do you have any 2015 prizm blue baseball prizms? I need the Puckett. I have some red,white, and blues I could trade for it.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Its a fun but possibly frustrating endeavor. I did the 2011 Bowman Chrome Purple refractor set, it took 3 years to get one of Addison Reed. I think maybe retail doesn't get open as much or something

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I considered stocking up on these too. Seems like retail exclusives can be a pain especially for player collectors. Toy's R Us purples always seem to bring a premium.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I considered stocking up on these too. Seems like retail exclusives can be a pain especially for player collectors. Toy's R Us purples always seem to bring a premium.

Well because TRU is the last retail outlet you want to buy cards from. They are over priced. Lot less gets opened from them.

I love retail and I think it's cool they make things that are retail only.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Well because TRU is the last retail outlet you want to buy cards from. They are over priced. Lot less gets opened from them.

I think it's not distributed well though. Target has some but the four or five Walmarts I go to never have anything but Magic stuff

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think it's not distributed well though. Target has some but the four or five Walmarts I go to never have anything but Magic stuff

Agreed. But I think shortly Walmart is going to phase out their sports cards. It's like they started to about three years ago, then they changed the layout and added more product over the last two years. But now they are slowly but surely phasing out how much sports they put out in comparison to magic and yughio.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
The 2008 Topps Target Back To School set is a very tough set to track down. I have 4 Albert Pujols #TB2 . Another tough set is the 2006 Upper Deck Frito Lay that was only available for a few weeks at Walmart in the multi-packs of Frito Lays chips (I have 3 Pujols).

One of the retail exclusives which took me a while to track down, the 2008 Topps Target Back to School for my Yankees team set. TB1-8, all star players with exclusive photographs.

Nice write up on these here: http://bdj610bbcblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/revisiting-idea-of-topps-helping-kids.html

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Those Back To School cards are something. I think there couldn't have been more than a couple hundred sets put out there. I saw one Sizemore when they came out, but it got snapped up immediately. I didn't see another till spring 2014 when someone on these boards offered me one, which I immediately bought it for $20 or whatever. Then one showed up on ebay. Then another showed up also for $15 or $20. It's been sitting there since, down to $2 now. I guess I was the market. They are neat cards, different photos from regular Topps, some mascot shots.

I agree in theory with the idea of hoarding rare parallels on the basis that someday someone might care and they catch on suddenly as the must-have cards (seen in countless cases of 90s-00s inserts, not to mention players and sets in the past). But there are tons of cards out there that people never cared about and still don't care about. As capricious as these trends are, you could easily spend more accumulating possibles than actually make when one of them hits.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
You get lucky every once in a while when they mark them down to $5.99 for a box of something and older Bowman packs marked down from $12.99 to $5.99 (3 packs in a pack with the 3 bonus cards)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Any chance anyone here has the 2012 topps toys r us wakefield/sabathia/buehrle?? As was mentioned the toys r us set is a huge pain. If someone has one stashed I will certainly make shipping the single card worth it.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
2005 was a good year.

Donruss Zenith. Gold regular, Silver foil Retail parallel, Holofoil parallel, which I can't remember if it was Retail/Hobby or just plain hard to pull.

2005 Leaf. Silver foil was the norm, with Red and Blue Press Proofs, but there were also Green Foil parallels, and Black foil (though not really foil) parallels. Can't recall if one was Target and the other was Wal-Mart, either, neither or both. Tough to find ones of your guy, of course.

Members online