Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fake 1998 Griffey Master Piece from Probstein Auction and other Fake MPs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlackRabbit

Jan 10, 2015
maybe its real and yours is fake? do you have pictures of yours? I know fakes happen often, just curious what proof you actually have to back up your accusation. I know Prob lists a ton of consignment, and there are fakes that slip thru the cracks, especially graded fakes.

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
I bought mine five years ago from the Ted Yates collection. If you are not familiar with his collection do a Beckett utube video search and you will see what I mean. If you look close at the stamping on the back of the fake Griffey, it is not good quality. Letters run together or are larger than others.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Please show us what your Griffey looks like.. I pulled some of these 1 of 1 masterpiece cards when I was ripping them and the one listed looks good..

The color of the lettering looks good as well..

What does your card say on the "FLAIR SHOWCASE" area..

There are also a "Grace"and "Style" as well..

Last edited:

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
I am also working on a project with the lead designer and manufacture at Fleer from 1989-2001 to help identify fakes. We have spent a lot of time on the MP cards in particular since so much fraud takes place in the three major sports. Take a look at the Jeter Protstein has listed and how quality the back stamping is (I am being sarcastic). I have spent a lot of time buying up fakes. In addition, Probstein has sold a lot of fakes in the past, particularly of this set. Same ones keep popping up.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 309

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
To me, and I'm just a collector, not an expert, but I can't call a card a fake that has been graded by a reputable company, even if it is not my grader of choice. Since this card is graded, there may be 2 now somehow or some slight difference. Maybe one is an executive card or something like that, but if this card made it past a grader as the real deal, then, even if it once was fake, it's not fake anymore. They made it the real deal when they graded it. Just my opinion.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
And fake & backdoored are also different things, at least IMO. The card was made by Fleer, probably as a replacement, then released later through shadier means. The Thomas I have listed isn't a fake the way I define a fake. Now I didn't place any additional embossing or naming on the reverse of the card and clearly state it is from the bankruptcy leaked stuff. But just like the 1998 Score, there are confirmed Masterpiece extras. Now, if the back of that Griffey has been altered by additional text or embossing adding, then maybe it can be seen as fake or definitely altering, but it was a legitimate card, just back doored. I like to compare them to other great stuff we all collect, 1998 Crusade Series 2, 1998 Select, 1998 Totally Certified, 1990 Aqueous Test or Blue/White Test. To each his own, but I really like the backdoored, unreleased stuff.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I agree that if the 1 of 1 notation on the back was added aftermarket there's a level of fraudulence here, but like Nolan, I don't call these fake, they were produced by whomever Fleer contracted to print for them.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I too agree with Nolan's assessment. Very well said! I hate that someone stamped the backs of them if it was aftermarket though, but then again - Fleer may have done that themselves after the fact as well.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
yea clear as day your's has legit stamping. the other one...nice try. at least they put more effort into stamping the griffey than the jeter they have listed

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To me, and I'm just a collector, not an expert, but I can't call a card a fake that has been graded by a reputable company, even if it is not my grader of choice. Since this card is graded, there may be 2 now somehow or some slight difference. Maybe one is an executive card or something like that, but if this card made it past a grader as the real deal, then, even if it once was fake, it's not fake anymore. They made it the real deal when they graded it. Just my opinion.

Uhm...do what?

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
A card is still a fake card even if it got past a grader. This is why I have a problem with grading companys. You can prove to them that they made a mistake and they will do nothing. It would be so simple for them to put a warning up for anyone that did a serial number search for a card. Instead they do nothing. I have a list of a few cards that I know are not graded correctly and I am going to add this card to my list. Thanks for the heads up!

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I am also working on a project with the lead designer and manufacture at Fleer from 1989-2001 to help identify fakes. We have spent a lot of time on the MP cards in particular since so much fraud takes place in the three major sports. Take a look at the Jeter Protstein has listed and how quality the back stamping is (I am being sarcastic). I have spent a lot of time buying up fakes. In addition, Probstein has sold a lot of fakes in the past, particularly of this set. Same ones keep popping up.

hopefully your listing will attract some attention, good thinking samho

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Thanks for the heads up! I have been eyeing the Maddux and would have certainly spent a lot of money to get it. To me, back doored and an actual 1/1 are completely different things. Too bad, I would have still paid pretty good money if it hadn't been altered. Altered in this context kills it for me. In hindsight, it seems suspicious that there is a large group of them being sold with similar grades of NM84 (supports the idea they were sheet cut). Anyways, I'll let someone else jump on that one - hopefully no one from this board.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
A card is still a fake card even if it got past a grader. This is why I have a problem with grading companys. You can prove to them that they made a mistake and they will do nothing. It would be so simple for them to put a warning up for anyone that did a serial number search for a card. Instead they do nothing. I have a list of a few cards that I know are not graded correctly and I am going to add this card to my list. Thanks for the heads up!

I was curious and sent a question about the cards in question. The response says it all.
[h=1]New message from: probstein123 (330,014)[/h]
[h=3]best to reveiw the scans...we scanned the fronts and the backs and these are slabbed by industry leaders[/h]

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
All the companies grade backdoor cards. Anyone can see the probstein S were stamped after market. It's still a nice card for a collector but it's not the original highly sought after masterpiece 1/1's

Members online

Latest posts