Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sportsbuy closing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
COMC also has an unbelievably supportive community. It amazes me how much free work are putting into the database. I guess there are plenty of people motivated to bury Beckett. It will be interesting to see what they do with all the people who helped build the database when they finally start to monetize it by creating an inventory management, checklisting, or price guide services.

That's an interesting point, as many people have put in hours of free or extremely cheap labor. Even the guy who led the challenge last week, with 244,305 points, would have had to put in something like 80 hours for $500 in store credit. Less than minimum wage for one tedious enterprise, and store credit sure doesn't pay the rent.

Related to that, the challenge grinds to a barely perceptible crawl every time the prizes go away. It really boggles my mind that COMC lets days go by when they could be tapping into such cheap labor. Sure, they have to shell out money, but when they were paying $1 for 1,000 points, that came down to something like 3 bucks an hour (and since there's a 20% cashout fee, COMC is ultimately only responsible for $2.40 of that), and huge amounts of data was collected. I really can't think of a reason why they're willing to just waste time like they have.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That COMC challenge was such a waste of time haha... I think I did like 20 points or 30 points and was just burned out. I haven't given it much thought but can anyone explain quickly what they're doing with it or what the point is? I am asking as I'm now just starting to think about it, so maybe it's obvious but thought I'd ask.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
COMC mastered the modern world...a free, crowd-sourced database that they end up owning the rights to and a database that they can choose to license, sell, distribute however they choose. It becomes an asset as little to no cost to them.

Kind of a no brainer.

For me, COMC doesn't work as a seller for a multitude of reasons...and right now as a buyer...it's non existent.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
That COMC challenge was such a waste of time haha... I think I did like 20 points or 30 points and was just burned out. I haven't given it much thought but can anyone explain quickly what they're doing with it or what the point is? I am asking as I'm now just starting to think about it, so maybe it's obvious but thought I'd ask.

I think they have 10 million plus images. They present the image to the users who put in the player, card #, team etc on the card. In the end they have a massive database of searchable data and images to go along with it.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
That's an interesting point, as many people have put in hours of free or extremely cheap labor. Even the guy who led the challenge last week, with 244,305 points, would have had to put in something like 80 hours for $500 in store credit. Less than minimum wage for one tedious enterprise, and store credit sure doesn't pay the rent.

Related to that, the challenge grinds to a barely perceptible crawl every time the prizes go away. It really boggles my mind that COMC lets days go by when they could be tapping into such cheap labor. Sure, they have to shell out money, but when they were paying $1 for 1,000 points, that came down to something like 3 bucks an hour (and since there's a 20% cashout fee, COMC is ultimately only responsible for $2.40 of that), and huge amounts of data was collected. I really can't think of a reason why they're willing to just waste time like they have.

I think they tried to the # challenge this week to see how it goes. I have a feeling they will increase the incentives next week. Everybody is probably using the functionality that allows them to populate the data on their own inventory, but I am sure they have a bunch of images that are no longer on the site, so they are going to need other people to populate the data.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't understand any of this speculation about who is closing next regarding COMC or Sportlots. SportsBuy didn't fail because of the customer base, it failed because its ownership pushed through a terrible "upgrade" (the transition from Naxcom) and then all but abandoned the site. Neither Sportlots nor COMC are in anything like the same situation. Both sites still have tremendous support from their customer base, and both sites are stable and functional. COMC's current issues are not from the site struggling to survive, it's just a very major (and hugely public) move to a new database.

Anyone who thinks the current events at COMC are evidence of the company falling apart are just being willfully ignorant of what is going on there. The site isn't getting any worse as the days go by, it's getting incrementally back to normal. It's just all those people living in caves have decided to advertise their ignorance as loudly, and publicly, as possible when they see that COMC isn't exactly as functional as it was this time last year.

I've not heard anything about any problems at Sportlots, aside from the same complaints about usability (which are always the same complaints, from the same people).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't understand any of this speculation about who is closing next regarding COMC or Sportlots. SportsBuy didn't fail because of the customer base, it failed because its ownership pushed through a terrible "upgrade" (the transition from Naxcom) and then all but abandoned the site. Neither Sportlots nor COMC are in anything like the same situation. Both sites still have tremendous support from their customer base, and both sites are stable and functional. COMC's current issues are not from the site struggling to survive, it's just a very major (and hugely public) move to a new database.

Anyone who thinks the current events at COMC are evidence of the company falling apart are just being willfully ignorant of what is going on there. The site isn't getting any worse as the days go by, it's getting incrementally back to normal. It's just all those people living in caves have decided to advertise their ignorance as loudly, and publicly, as possible when they see that COMC isn't exactly as functional as it was this time last year.

I've not heard anything about any problems at Sportlots, aside from the same complaints about usability (which are always the same complaints, from the same people).
I think Sportlots is in more trouble than you think... I'll have to find the thread or post(s) about it but it's something like the people behind the business are no where to be found. Has something to do about getting funds out as a seller or something. I forget but it didn't sound good.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I think Sportlots is in more trouble than you think... I'll have to find the thread or post(s) about it but it's something like the people behind the business are no where to be found. Has something to do about getting funds out as a seller or something. I forget but it didn't sound good.

I'm a seller there, and they've never missed a payment to me in 5 years. True, I'm not exactly a high-volume seller, but I've had no problems. I have heard all of those issues you raise with respect to SportsBuy, however.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm a seller there, and they've never missed a payment to me in 5 years. True, I'm not exactly a high-volume seller, but I've had no problems. I have heard all of those issues you raise with respect to SportsBuy, however.
Hmmm well maybe I got them confused, I'm not sure. You'd know better than me if you're a seller.

ch2423

Jan 3, 2011
NE Ohio

Have you used it lately? Wrong names, wrong information, missing insert names. Not sure how fast it will get better when people are clicking as quick as they can entering info to get that fraction of a cent. I loved what COMC used to be. Found a lot of great stuff there. I'm just not sure they'll ever get fully back unless they change how they are building the database.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You can't search Chipper Jones on COMC right now. He's under Chris Jones. lol I love raiding COMC for my ebay store though. I use them, Beckett Marketplace and sportlots as means to fill my ebay store. I used Sportsbuy too, but not nearly as much because it sucked all-around. I once picked out like 125 cards from a seller and never heard a peep. Had to get a refund through sportsbuy. Sportlots rules though. I hope they stick around.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You can't search Chipper Jones on COMC right now. He's under Chris Jones. lol I love raiding COMC for my ebay store though. I use them, Beckett Marketplace and sportlots as means to fill my ebay store. I used Sportsbuy too, but not nearly as much because it sucked all-around. I once picked out like 125 cards from a seller and never heard a peep. Had to get a refund through sportsbuy. Sportlots rules though. I hope they stick around.

COMCs is a F'ing mess right now... can't search anything specific. Where is that Moe dude on here... we need him to weigh in

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

Chipper worked fine for me.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
COMC is getting incrementally better each day. They seem to have a plan, and although it's taking longer to get to 100% than many customers would like, rebuilding an entire database pretty much from scratch is a ton of work

Maybe they could have planned better, but I'm not so sure. It didn't seem like there was much reason to believe Beckett would pull the plug, at least based on the court documents of the two lawsuits currently in play

I'm still confident that the site will get back to full capability in the near future. Sending a 150 card rapid submission sometime this week. It's all baseball, so I want to get stuff up there soon, even if it't not all listed correctly right away. Pretty confident that it will still be listed properly before what would be an 8 week submission.

I REALLY wish they would bring back the two week bulk submission. Or at the very least, something in between rapid and the 8 week stuff

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You'd have to be crazy to send COMC any submission right now as they're going through these two law suits and then the overhaul of their site. No offense to COMC but they're site looks like sh!t right now. I use to visit it a few times a day and have a hard time looking at it once a day now. I know Beckett pulled the plug and it's not a quick fix but damn... that really had to hurt them and their traffic at least.

Members online

Latest posts