Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Miguel Olivo bites off part of the ear of Cuban prospect Alex Guerrero.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What the hell? Just like Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield.

ESPN -- Alex Guerrero, the Cuban infielder the Los Angeles Dodgers gave $28 million to this past winter, could miss five weeks after Triple-A teammate Miguel Olivo bit off part of his ear.

They were involved in a dugout altercation during Albuquerque's 7-4 loss to Salt Lake today.

Guerrero was taken to a local hospital and will have plastic surgery, his agent, Scott Boras, told ESPN.com.

Salt Lake City police told ESPN.com that they visited Guerrero in the hospital but he told them he didn't want to file a report until he talks to a lawyer.

The argument began on the mound during an Albuquerque pitching change in the bottom of the seventh inning and continued in the dugout in the top of the eighth, at which point the altercation became physical. The disagreement began with Olivo getting upset that Guerrero failed to tag out a runner after a throw from Olivo, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Both players were removed from the game, and it's possible one or both could be subject to further action from the team.

The Dodgers released a statement saying they were aware and investigating the incident, and general manager Ned Colletti said he had already spoken to the Isotopes' coaching staff about it.

Colletti wouldn't say what caused the altercation but admitted the Dodgers weren't happy with it.

"We don't condone it, and we don't think it's constructive," Colletti said at Citi Field, where the Dodgers were to play the New York Mets on Tuesday night. "People can have disagreements. When it gets beyond that level, it's over the line."

Guerrero played for the Dodgers on the season-opening trip to Australia but has been with Albuquerque since the Triple-A season began.
Olivo, a 35-year-old veteran catcher in his first year in the Dodgers' organization, was sent to the minor leagues last week when A.J. Ellis came off the disabled list.

Olivo has displayed a hot temper on the field before, charging at Jose Reyes and missing with a wild punch during a dustup between the Marlins and Mets late in the 2007 season. He appeared in eight games for the Dodgers this month, marking his 13th season in the majors.

The Dodgers signed Guerrero with the idea that he could play second base in the big leagues, but he has struggled defensively. He has hit well at Albuquerque, with a .376 batting average with 10 home runs and 29 RBIs, and the Dodgers have started giving him playing time at other positions.

The idea, Colletti said, is that Guerrero could be ready to fill in if one of the infielders gets hurt or could come to the big leagues as an extra player who could fill in at multiple positions.

"We've had good offensive performances from our infielders," he said. "We think offensively, [Guerrero] is very close. Defensively, he still needs repetition."

Guerrero had been particularly hot lately, with 21 hits in 46 at-bats (.457) over the past 11 games, with six home runs and 17 RBIs. He went 2-for-3 on Tuesday before being removed for a pinch hitter in the eighth inning, shortly after the altercation with Olivo.

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I was just coming over to report the same thing. Wow.

I saw Guerrero rake on Sunday vs. the Grizzles. Two homers & a double.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Today in the 9th inning against the Mets, Juan Uribe re-aggravated his hamstring.

Interesting problem for the Dodgers as their defense has been costly this season and the only other real candidate to replace Uribe is Justin Turner.

For now, the Dodgers have no choice but to have Turner fill in at third while Guerrero heals his ear. Or maybe Seager?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Olivo should be banned from the game for that.
He should be arrested. Only animals and Mike Tyson bite off peoples' ears.
The Dodgers will no doubt release him.

And he's 35, so no other team will want him.
He hasn't hit above .224 in four years and he sucks defensively.
Baseball-Reference says he's 1st among active catchers in both errors and passed balls.
Buh-bye Olivo.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The Dodgers will no doubt release him.

that's my guess. I don't see how Alex could feel safe in the dugout or clubhouse with Olivo around, wondering if Olivo would attack him again. The way the Dodgers have to fix it is release him or trade him for a bag of baseballs. ;)

I also have to wonder about Alex being out five weeks - for something that sounds like it's just some stitches and to some place that doesn't play into hitting or fielding as if it were his hands, arms, legs or feet (since it's an ear), I don't see why he couldn't be back in 1 week. When Guerrero is placed on the DL, I'd like to see Arruebarrena brought up to the Isotopes.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Olivio is the real deal

A side note on Olivo: he passed a kidney stone during a game with the Rockies. Like, he was playing, went into the clubhouse and passed the thing, and went back out and kept playing. Came out to the plate the next inning and singled! Damn!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/bi...iguel-Olivo-passes-kidney-ston?urn=mlb,237573

But I agree that the Dodgers should release him and send him home. There are plenty of Carribean leagues for him to play these twilight ears.

Last edited:

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
With the Dodgers putting a bunch of money on the major league club, it is apparent there isn't enough money for the pre game spread for the Isotopes. ;)

Hope for a quick recovery for Guerrero though - he looks like he will be good.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
After a hearing, eareconcilable differences was the reason given for Olivo's release
I'ts possible Guerrero never heard Olivo coming.
Earily similar to the Tyson incident, isn't it?
Olivo was really earitated with his teammate.
I hope Guerrero hasn't been eareparably harmed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts