Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is why I don't care for Upper Deck's hand numbering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I love the hand numbered cards.

I does too............. :p

2000autonumberedjersey.jpg

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
could possibly be from
2005 National Pastime
Buybacks

There are simply too many Buyback Autographs, Game-Used, and Game-Used Combo cards (over 1000) to list here. Each buyback is hand-numbered and supposed to have had a National Pastime logo embossed on the card. However not all Buybacks were embossed.

http://www.joering.com/mcgwire/inde...ring9&listType=Cards+Only&tn=tn&&years[]=2004

I remember this. I have a couple of these cards but I really don't like them because mine are exactly as they were originally distributed and looks like someone just wrote the numbers to sell them as buybacks.. I bought my two the same time so after I got them and looked at them, I realize I just overpaid someone for what looks like normal cards....

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I remember this. I have a couple of these cards but I really don't like them because mine are exactly as they were originally distributed and looks like someone just wrote the numbers to sell them as buybacks.. I bought my two the same time so after I got them and looked at them, I realize I just overpaid someone for what looks like normal cards....
they should have a crimp stamp like this, sometimes they are faint....... if even there at all
I had a Griffey Hot Gloves /3 with a faint crimp
I think 2006 beckett has a list of buybacks
fleerstamp.jpg

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I can't stand hand-numbering. I don't want some random company employee with good penmanship writing on my card.
And printed or stamped numbering looks so much cleaner.

Sure there are hand-numbered cards that are done subtlely, but they would look much cleaner with stamped numbering.
If the card has to be hand-numbered because of printing limitations or a tight schedule, than the player should write it, not Mertle in accounting.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Here is where a photo data base for special/unique cards would have been an amazing thing. Buybacks are/were ripe for cheaters, especially when they were poorly cataloged. The Fleer embossing was poorly done and on thicker cards, it can be hard to see or missing all together.

Despite the issues, this is why stamping or embossing is still much better than handwritten serial numbers or even worse, unidentified buybacks (like 1991 Topps sweepstakes, which have no special meaning as they are just old cards inserted into packs at random and can't be identified or proven to come from 91T packs unless you witness one being pulled).

If you didn't get the cards when they were new, you have to go on blind faith that what you are getting is unaltered. Here is a great example. The unnumbered version is plentiful, but the National Pastime cards are /7. I got mine when the product was new.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Then there are these National Pastime gems. They are embossed, but were not numbered, and were SPs. The reported quantity for this issue is 15 copies. I have two different embossed stamps, which seems very odd for such a small run. However, the pen is clearly the same for all copies I have seen.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One of the National Pastime GOTG Buybacks, bought when the product was live:

Last edited:

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
No matter how I tilt this thing, there is no crimp to be found anywhere on both the cards. I think what I have are cards that someone decided to sell as buybacks and I'm the dummy who fell for it. Both were bought back in late 2006.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This is not Upper Deck but I just found this one from Fleer Tradition. I found no record/checklist of these cards hand numbered. No versions numbered to /7 either. They made 200 G/U non serial numbered and a gold version numbered to a foil numbered /100. Read the description and they sure make it sound authentic.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BERNIE-WILLIA...3A3b2672e315a0a5eb3611da90fff6e01a%7Ciid%3A21

found this...............
http://www.beckett.com/search/?term...+bernie+williams&sport=185223&year_start=2005

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013

Wow good work. Nothing in the sellers title or description would have put me down a patch to know what these are. I can't see any type of emboss in the pictures either. Beckett through me off also. I searched all the keywords but I was using Bernie Williams not B. Williams. When I tried searching eBay that way years ago you run into Billy Williams cards. Thanks papa!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
also if you compare the written numbering to the ones you can see e stamping on you can get a idea if its legit or not

past.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts