Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Arod 3,000 hit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I like the quote website George posted and it shows cheating has been going on 70 years it's just the news and internet makes it where you can't hide if you are cheating. Another member also said if 70% of baseball was doing the same thing what kind of advantage did he really have over the others and you have to assume everyone was taking PED's just only a few have been caught. I think some day they will let Arod, Bonds, McGwire and all the others who have been caught cheating in the Hall Of Fame but it will probably be 20 years from now or longer. The thing is in the 90's when McGwire, Sosa and Griffey were hitting all those homeruns baseball was hurting after the strike and they brought people back into the stands with the homeruns they were hitting. Baseball didn't mind they and turned away until years later.

Won't Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire not be eligible 2 decades from now?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
My point is this...AROD stepped on his crank quite a few times all these years. Is the positives he has been doing a result of it? Maybe. Has he burned more than just a few bridges? Maybe. Will he ever change the minds of baseball fans about his behaviors? Probably not. I as one of his fans acknowledge his screw ups, I acknowledge the fact that his name will forever be enshrined as a cheater....however, I also acknowledge the fact that he had his legacy pretty much solidified and his ticket punched for Cooperstown. His choice to turn to PEDS because he felt it would help him standout as "the best" will forever haunt him, but as one of his fans, I still support him and that won't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I applaud those like you who still stick by their favorite players despite their transgressions throughout their career.Despite what a lying cheater McGwire was, I can't pretend to forget all the games I was glued to my TV or radio during the 1998 season.I can't just erase all those great memories and pretend they never happened.If someone has some McGwire cards I want I will still collect him.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Won't Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire not be eligible 2 decades from now?

They will get in by veterans voting others have and there numbers are too good to keep them out forever no matter what they did. Pete Rose will get in one day as well but that probably will not be till after he dies.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
They will get in by veterans voting others have and there numbers are too good to keep them out forever no matter what they did. Pete Rose will get in one day as well but that probably will not be till after he dies.

Don't fully understand voting process.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
As an Alex fan and collector, I'm not ignorant to think he didn't make the best choices. I do forgive him just like my friends and family have forgiven me when I did wrong in the past and I'm sure just like each of your family and friends forgave you when you did wrong. No one is perfect. Everyone has screwed up in one way or another. My words aren't going to change anything. It's just my 2 cents. Oh yeah, I'm just a baseball fan who has loved watching ARod, Maddux, Bonds, Schmidt, Rose, Clemens, Griffey Jr., Jeter and thousands of other players of a GAME.

Back to honoring 3000 hits and counting.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1435112483.746389.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1435112516.349296.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1435112546.575590.jpg

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ

Doubt it. Just look at shoeless Joe...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have wanted un unredeemed redemption card, but it was never a high priority. i looked around from time to time, but have not for years now.

The card was from 1994, the 94 Score R/T or update set and was probably actually issued late 94 or early 95 via redemption process. i got mine on the secondary market, so I am not sure when they were mailed out. With an expiration date of 1/31/95 (thanks to the scan provided), they were not available for much more than a year and with the strike ending the baseball season early, many probably hid undiscovered in boxes that sat on Kmart shelves and by the time people really started buying again, the redemption cards already expired!

I think the card still brings a couple hundred dollars now, bunt have not shopped for one in years. Most I saw available were graded, probably to try to capitalize on the condition sensitive borders and the fact that high graded copies were selling for insane money at one point.

From a collecting standpoint, nothing will ever cause me to stop collecting a certain player or type of card, despite what they may have done or been accused of doing. I may not buy a certain product or brand crest from the packs, but secondary cards are always fair game.

If the card was printed in 1994, then to me it is a true rookie card.What year was it printed?How rare are they?What did the redemption look like?How much are they?

Last edited:

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Doubt it. Just look at shoeless Joe...

Shoeless Joe actually changed the outcome of a game in a negative way him and his teammate purposely lost a word series. Is on a whole different level than Pete Rose betting on games and it seemed he was not really betting for or against his team. The PED users are different as well and people will come to realize what they did was wrong but also saved baseball.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.

I wouldn't bet on Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, and Rose getting in by the veterans commitee.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't bet on Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, and Rose getting in by the veterans commitee.

You know how many players who probably didn’t deserve to be in the Hall that got voted in the Hall by the veterans committee. These player you have mentioned played a huge part of the game in the 90's especially after the strike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Shoeless Joe actually changed the outcome of a game in a negative way him and his teammate purposely lost a word series. Is on a whole different level than Pete Rose betting on games and it seemed he was not really betting for or against his team. The PED users are different as well and people will come to realize what they did was wrong but also saved baseball.

They did nothing wrong but break the rules of baseball... thats all...and they didnt "save" baseball

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
They did nothing wrong but break the rules of baseball... thats all...and they didnt "save" baseball

One writers opinion that disagrees with you, as do I.
[h=1]The Steroid Era Saved MLB; It’s Time They Recognize It[/h] By Jason Fletcher [MENTION=11777]Jason[/MENTION]Fletcher25 on April 30, 2015
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The strike-shortened season of 1994 could have been the beginning of the end for Major League Baseball. Fans were angry and fed up that MLB and the MLBPA couldn’t get a deal worked out to save the season. It was a season in which the Montreal Expos, a team that had only one playoff appearance under its belt, had the best record in baseball, and Tony Gwynn had a shot at becoming the first hitter since Ted Williams to hit .400 in a season. But it was all for naught, as both as the players went on strike and wiped out the entire 1994 season.

When the two sides finally worked out an agreement in 1995, it was too late to play an entire season, so they played yet another shortened season. Fans were still angry, and it showed in attendance numbers and revenue. Attendance was down 20 percent in 1995 when compared to the last full season played in 1993. Revenue fell from $1.87 billion in 1993 to $1.4 billion in 1995.

In 1996, attendance was still down 10 percent compared to 1993 and revenue still hadn’t quite reached the levels of the 1993 season. Things were looking bleak for MLB and there wasn’t a whole lot they could do. There was one trend in 1996 that seemingly came out of nowhere and would eventually end up saving the entire league. By the end of the season, there were 17 hitters who had produced 40 or more home runs. In 1993, the season prior to the strike, there were only five batters to hit 40 or more home runs. This would catch the interest of fans and would provide light at the end of the tunnel for MLB.

The 1998 season was the greatest in the history of America’s pastime. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa would enter into the greatest home run race of our generation. It was a display unlike any other, and, whether you are opposed to steroids or not, it was the most memorable summer in baseball. Both guys would go on to break Roger Maris‘ 37-year-old record of 61 home runs in a season. McGwire would finish with 70 and Sosa with 66. The race captivated, not only the entire baseball community, but the entire country. MLB couldn’t have asked for better timing, and they were soaking it up as revenue jumped all the way up to $2.5 billion.

McGwire’s 70 home runs seemed like a record that would last forever, but then came the 2001 season and a guy by the name of Barry Bonds. Bonds would put together what was widely considered the greatest season of any hitter in history, as he finished the season with a major-league record 177 walks. He also had a .515 on-base percentage and another major-league record .863 slugging percentage. Bonds also hit .328 and had 137 RBIs. It was a brilliant season and one that will never be duplicated. Oh yeah, he also broke McGwire’s all-time single season home run record after smashing 73 homers and etched his name in the record books. Bonds would go on to later break Hank Aaron’s career home run record of 755 on Aug. 7, 2007, a night I will never forget, and finish his career with 762 bombs.

From 1995 to 2001, attendance rose 44 percent at MLB games and revenue rose from $1.4 billion to $3.7 billion. Those numbers prove that steroids saved baseball from disappearing from the national pro sports landscape. Everyone wants to punish the players who took steroids when what they accomplished could be considered the most important era of all time.

MLB was the one that didn’t put any steroid testing in place until 2003. MLB was ecstatic raking in the dough while these home runs were being hit. No one ever even stopped to think, wow, I wonder why there’s such an astronomical spike in home runs? Everyone enjoyed the ride and lost themselves in the pure excitement of the era. For MLB to then come back and punish these guys and try to expunge all their records is hypocritical. If the steroid era guys can’t go into the record books for what they achieved, then MLB should have to forfeit the revenue they made off the players due to steroids.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

I love the quote [MENTION=1953]Musial Collector[/MENTION] posted and you should realize and appreciate that what they did though was cheating but it also saved baseball and with all the money they made off of Sosa and McGwire during that season they turned away and pretended nothing was going on. Once everything went back to normal they didn't need those monster stats so they dropped the hammer on all the players accused of cheating in a time when they saved baseball. Again you can hate them call them cheaters then you need to call all the players for the last 70 years cheaters and take everyone during that time out of the HOF. It should not be a pick and choose of this guy was a good player and we let him in but this guy was great but cheated so he will not get in. Seems like a double standard to me. Again the only reason why players are getting caught now is that it's impossible to hide secrets now where in the 1950's till now it was easier to get away with it. We have had HOF players from back in the day admit using greenies which helped them out and considered cheating back then but there in so why not let the people who saved baseball in the 90's in as there numbers deserve to be in. It funny how they punished them long after they saved baseball from extinction.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I have wanted un unredeemed redemption card, but it was never a high priority. i looked around from time to time, but have not for years now.

The card was from 1994, the 94 Score R/T or update set and was probably actually issued late 94 or early 95 via redemption process. i got mine on the secondary market, so I am not sure when they were mailed out. With an expiration date of 1/31/95 (thanks to the scan provided), they were not available for much more than a year and with the strike ending the baseball season early, many probably hid undiscovered in boxes that sat on Kmart shelves and by the time people really started buying again, the redemption cards already expired!

I think the card still brings a couple hundred dollars now, bunt have not shopped for one in years. Most I saw available were graded, probably to try to capitalize on the condition sensitive borders and the fact that high graded copies were selling for insane money at one point.

From a collecting standpoint, nothing will ever cause me to stop collecting a certain player or type of card, despite what they may have done or been accused of doing. I may not buy a certain product or brand crest from the packs, but secondary cards are always fair game.

Was Rodriguez the only player that was redeemed?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He was the only subject of the redemption card. I don't think he was named originally, but maybe he was the first guy called up in Sept, so he became the subject? Not totally sure either way.

Was Rodriguez the only player that was redeemed?

Members online