Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Selling a player collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Anyone done this? Any trusted Ebay options for having someone do the work for you?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have seen a number of people breaking up collections and selling them on ebay. If you can find a rival to buy you out, that might work. However, sometimes we are the reason that a certain player sells well and w/o us in the hunt, they aren't worth a crap!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Best way to do it is to list some of the more eye catching pieces and then use the subtitle to put "Selling Entire "Player's Name" Collection! *** total cards!"

Then just field questions from possible buyers.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

I'm paring down my Will Clark collection and may potentially move a few high end Eddie Murray items. I also have a deep collection of PSA & BGS Clark and Murray stuff.

I don't want to sell this stuff but I'm in a position in life that I need to. My goal is to be debt free by August 2017. I'm on track but would like to be at my goal sooner rather than later. After we're done, we'll only have about 14 years left on our mortgage and that's it.

Perhaps when my time is more flexible, I'll be able to get back into cards a little bit. I love the hobby and miss interaction with all of you fellow collectors.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Try listing everything you're selling with a super high buy it now price and see what kind of interest you get. That's what the previous Mariano Rivera super collector did and found me.

Scott F

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Use free listings to fish with your higher end items. Cosigners do well as long as you are not the only buyer of your players.

Both options should work well with Clark.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Have you asked around here? There's a few Will Clark collectors on here, maybe they can save you some time and take the cards off your hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I sold my whole collection.. I listed a few nice patches on Ebay and other collectors asked what else I had so I was able to sell most off Ebay in package deals. Used Ebay solely for exposure. all the base and low level common inserts I sold last after the whole collection was picked through by other player collectors. I have a FB group for Canseco and someone joined just to buy what I had listed as left. I had over 2500 cards and it took about a year to be completely card free but I maxed out my profit in the process and there was no real rush.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Have you asked around here? There's a few Will Clark collectors on here, maybe they can save you some time and take the cards off your hands?

I have, it's been slow going but helpful.

I sold my whole collection.. I listed a few nice patches on Ebay and other collectors asked what else I had so I was able to sell most off Ebay in package deals. Used Ebay solely for exposure. all the base and low level common inserts I sold last after the whole collection was picked through by other player collectors. I have a FB group for Canseco and someone joined just to buy what I had listed as left. I had over 2500 cards and it took about a year to be completely card free but I maxed out my profit in the process and there was no real rush.

How did you organize the FB group? I'm sure there are more collectors out there for my guys. It'd be nice to connect, talk, and hopefully sell some of this stuff as well.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
How did you organize the FB group? I'm sure there are more collectors out there for my guys. It'd be nice to connect, talk, and hopefully sell some of this stuff as well.

I just simply started a group for Jose Canseco collectors and fans and it blossomed from a few of the collectors still on here to other current and former collectors. the group currently has 250 members which isn't huge but it keeps growing as more and more people are finding it. I'm sure you could do the same with Will Clark(one of the guys in my group is actually a Will Clark fan/collector)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CollectorsofJoseCanseco/?ref=bookmarks

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
If it's rare cards then .99 auctions run correctly are your best bet. Probstein or PWCC seem like they get good money if you don't want to do the work.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
8 months away from your goal! That's impressive. I'm on track to be there too in March 2018 - just before I turn 28.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I use Rick (Probstien123)......pm me if you need his email.

Done, thanks for the help!

I just simply started a group for Jose Canseco collectors and fans and it blossomed from a few of the collectors still on here to other current and former collectors. the group currently has 250 members which isn't huge but it keeps growing as more and more people are finding it. I'm sure you could do the same with Will Clark(one of the guys in my group is actually a Will Clark fan/collector)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CollectorsofJoseCanseco/?ref=bookmarks

Right on, thanks for the advice.

8 months away from your goal! That's impressive. I'm on track to be there too in March 2018 - just before I turn 28.

Nice, congrats. It'll feel good to be finished. When I paid off my student loans, that was a great feeling. Once I became a father that shifted priorities quite a bit. I'll feel less guilty resuming a collecting pursuit when I have no debt to speak of.

[MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION] - LOL!

Members online

No members online now.