Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeter is overrated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
How does a player vote show that SI was trying to vote on the Yankees? Maybe it is obvious that players around the league don't like all the attention that the Yankees get, and feel they just aren't that good.

Hmm. Let's see.

Arod, Jeter, Werth, Swisher, and Pujols add up to 42%.

Ichiro, Martin, Teixeira, and Gardner increase that total to 48%.

0.5% is nearly equivalent to 1 vote.

There is another 52% of that poll that is unavailable. You are trying to tell me Martin (1 vote), Gardner (2 votes), Teixeira (1 vote) are the only names they could add in the blurb? Is it just a coincidence the 4 total votes that they show in addition to Arod, Jeter, Werth, Swisher, Pujols, ans Ichiro were three Yankees?

Also, I don't know what "vote on the Yankees" means, I said focus on the Yankees - meaning out of the remaining 52% of that poll, they decided to pull 2% worth of insignificant votes that happened to be Yankees players.

I know you hate the Yankees/Jeter/Swisher, but come on.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Hmm. Let's see.

There is another 52% of that poll that is unavailable. You are trying to tell me Martin (1 vote), Gardner (2 votes), Teixeira (1 vote) are the only names they could add in the blurb? Is it just a coincidence the 4 total votes that they show in addition to Arod, Jeter, Werth, Swisher, Pujols, ans Ichiro were three Yankees?

Also, I don't know what "vote on the Yankees" means, I said focus on the Yankees - meaning out of the remaining 52% of that poll, they decided to pull 2% worth of insignificant votes that happened to be Yankees players.

Oh noez! The Yankees are getting picked on again! I must come to their defense!

Shut up. People like you are the reason everyone hates the Yankees and more importantly, their fans

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Hmm. Let's see.

The point that SI seems to be making is that Yankees players made up almost 10 percent of the players named in the poll. Players are hating on the Yankees, probably because most of them wish they were Yankees (or at least getting Yankee money and press coverage). But these are directly related to the reasons that there have always been repeated "Jeter is overrated" threads on every baseball message board I've ever frequented.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
His rehab is going well to.

de5d48c170679ec8bf9955bf71014d70_zps2a1aff28.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Baseballreference lists Jeter's most comparable player as Craig Biggio

A quick thought experiment

Switch their places. Biggio was the career Yankee, and Jeter was the career Astro.

I don't know where your brain goes with this, but mine goes to the title of this thread.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
So your real premise is that Yankees are overrated. This is always true, as they get more publicity than other teams based on being in New York and due to their history. That isn't going to change. I agree with what others have already said in that Jeter's career has been great, even among the numbers put up by former Yankee players and that he has been able to deal with the extra pressure of playing for the Yankees and the extra scrutiny that goes with it. There have been quite a few excellent ball players who have gone to New York and not been able to hand that pressure. Would there be as many questioning Arod if he was still in Seattle? Unlikely. Part of it is that people love or hate the Yankees. There isn't a lot of middle ground for most baseball fans.
We'll never know if Biggio could have or would have put up the same numbers in New York, as people have different psychological makeup.
As a Yankee fan, I'll agree that the Yankees are always overrated, but that is due to the media and the people who buy what the media puts out. In the end, its always about money...and the Yankees make it for themselves, those who write about them and for the other teams when the Yankees come to town.
DANNY

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
All of what you say is true. It gets to the heart of the matter to say that the Yankees as a team are overrated and overexposed (see the SI article above). Jeter is merely a cog in that wheel. But a lot of people like to point at Jeter's five rings first and foremost when discussing his career. Add five rings to Biggio's resume and does he wait a year for the Hall? Is Jeter so much better than Biggio that he brought those rings to the Yankees, and would have done the same if drafted by Houston? Nobody believes that to my knowledge. So, yeah, Jeter and the Yankees are inextricable, with all of the positives and negatives that the relationship brings to a player.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Nolan Ryan is more overrated. Guy never even won a cy young in a 27 year career. Missed the all-star game 19 times. Has allowed almost 1,000 walks more than anyone in the history of the game. Yet, people are all over his d!ck.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Don't think Jeter is that over-rated and is/was a better all-around player than Biggio.

But who cares, that girl on Jeter's left is UN-believable! :eek:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I love the "jeter is overrated" threads.

From a statistical standpoint and given he still has a few years he can add to them, how many shortstops in the history of the game have put up the offensive numbers he has?

He isnt the greatest glove in the world and there arent many that can argue that but Jeter is one of the three best shortstops of all time.

Members online

Latest posts