Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1999ToppsFinestSterlingGoldRefracto.jpg

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
[MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION] - David, great looking displays, as always. Enjoyable to see those holders fill up with nice Griffeys.
[MENTION=5489]murphy17[/MENTION] - Sean, I saw that news article a few days back about the LV guy thinking he bought a real Honus Wagner T206. Pretty gullible buyer and reporter.
[MENTION=10041]num1jrfan[/MENTION] - Congrats on finishing that set!
[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] - Congrats on finally getting a September Gold! And I don't have an copy of the card you're looking for.

Question for anyone out there that has information about the 1998 Finest Centurion Refractors: Baseballcardpedia states that there were some unnumbered, backdoored copies that are in circulation and that those same backdoored copies have been doctored by people who've added fake serial numbers in attempts to pass them off as the "real" version. Sounds similar to the Flair Legacy Row 0's from that same year. After looking through Worthpoint, I found two versions: Which version is real, and which is the backdoored?

#1 : I've seen more versions of these appearing/sold:

#2 :

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
The numbering with the "0" I believe to be legitimate. Here are a few I have, including a non-numbered version:

09-20-2014050635PM.jpg

Interesting.....why would there be a "0" preceding the numbers when it only goes to 75? Additionally, versions in basketball, football did not have a preceding "0"; seems odd that they would use that numbering style in baseball, but not other sports.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Interesting.....why would there be a "0" preceding the numbers when it only goes to 75? Additionally, versions in basketball, football did not have a preceding "0"; seems odd that they would use that numbering style in baseball, but not other sports.

This is of course just a random sample of what I have. Between COMC (including sales) and eBay the only graded copies have the "0" notation and the majority have the "0".

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
[h=3]Centurions[/h] Randomly inserted in Series One packs, cards from this 20-card set are each serial-numbered on back to 500 copies. Unfortunately, an unknown quantity of unnumbered Centurions made their way into the secondary market in 1999. It’s believed that these cards were quality control extras. To further compound this situation, some unscrupulous parties attempted to serial-number the cards. The fake cards have flat gold foil numbering. The real cards have bright foil numbering.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Centurions

Randomly inserted in Series One packs, cards from this 20-card set are each serial-numbered on back to 500 copies. Unfortunately, an unknown quantity of unnumbered Centurions made their way into the secondary market in 1999. It’s believed that these cards were quality control extras. To further compound this situation, some unscrupulous parties attempted to serial-number the cards. The fake cards have flat gold foil numbering. The real cards have bright foil numbering.

From my understanding all the REFRACTORS are legit - it's only the non refractors that were backdoored. Got mine graded just in case though :)

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
From my understanding all the REFRACTORS are legit - it's only the non refractors that were backdoored. Got mine graded just in case though :)

The refractors are legit, until they are altered by those attempting to deceive others/make a profit - these doctored versions ruin the integrity of the entire insert set. What info can you share about the non-refractors being backdoored? I haven't heard of those being backdoored before.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I am looking to pick up a nice-looking, relatively inexpensive, on-card Griffey auto in a Mariners uni. There are so many autos on the market, I don't know where to start. What do you guys suggest I make a run at that fits my criteria? Also, what can I expect to pay? Thanks!

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
This is of course just a random sample of what I have. Between COMC (including sales) and eBay the only graded copies have the "0" notation and the majority have the "0".

Assuming the refractors all have the gloss coating and the card front 'peel', the serial numbers should be 'shiny' gold and stamped on back. Enclosed are shots of mine which was graded early on. Tend to agree with tidel144 that "0" may not be the key. In that same year "The Man" refractors were numbered to 75 without the zero.

Attachments

• 98 FINEST CENTURION SET FRONT.jpg
    98 FINEST CENTURION SET FRONT.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 98 FINEST CENTURION SET REAR.jpg
    98 FINEST CENTURION SET REAR.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 33

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
@goobmcnasty - David, great looking displays, as always. Enjoyable to see those holders fill up with nice Griffeys.
@murphy17 - Sean, I saw that news article a few days back about the LV guy thinking he bought a real Honus Wagner T206. Pretty gullible buyer and reporter.
@num1jrfan - Congrats on finishing that set!
@magicpapa - Congrats on finally getting a September Gold! And I don't have an copy of the card you're looking for.

Question for anyone out there that has information about the 1998 Finest Centurion Refractors: Baseballcardpedia states that there were some unnumbered, backdoored copies that are in circulation and that those same backdoored copies have been doctored by people who've added fake serial numbers in attempts to pass them off as the "real" version. Sounds similar to the Flair Legacy Row 0's from that same year. After looking through Worthpoint, I found two versions: Which version is real, and which is the backdoored?

#1 : I've seen more versions of these appearing/sold:

#2 :

As "off" as it may seem, I believe the 042/75 version is authentic. All of the Centurion refractors I have seen, even the commons, have the "0" in front.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Just like the peter max serigraphs, the baseball version where not serial numbered and the football versions where. Same thing with 97 Gold Embossed Refractors, baseball unnumberred and basketball numbered. So it changing from sport to sport is common.

Members online

Latest posts