Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Anybody on here win the 3 Gwynn diffractors on ebay? I bid but lost. Glad to see that the seller, who had to sell his Gwynn collection, get $150 for the 3 cards. You just don't see many 3 card Gwynn deffractor card lots on ebay anymore. I don't even have one of his regular Tek cards yet. I always liked Tony Gwynn. He was a great hitter, class act, and played the game the right way.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Anybody on here win the 3 Gwynn diffractors on ebay? I bid but lost. Glad to see that the seller, who had to sell his Gwynn collection, get $150 for the 3 cards. You just don't see many 3 card Gwynn deffractor card lots on ebay anymore. I don't even have one of his regular Tek cards yet. I always liked Tony Gwynn. He was a great hitter, class act, and played the game the right way.

That must have been tough to whoever lost $150 bid with 4 seconds to go on the 3 Gwynns. ...
I dont think I will ever finish diffractor set # 2. Too many crazy bidders on ebay. Oh well .

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
Just scored a Burks I needed on Sportlots. Now I'm down to only 9 left. Thanx guys for mentioning that site. Forgot about it.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Still looking for these

Card #2 Kerry Wood. Need Patterns- 2, 3, 4, 9, 19, 20, 25, 30, 31, 40, 46, 50, 51, 63, 64, 67, 71, 72, 75, 81, 82, 86, 87, 90 Need all Diffractors except- 46
Card #2 8 Sammy Sosa Need Patterns- 2, 20, 24, 25, 28, *32, 41, 45, 47, *53, 54, 56, 60, 73, 82, 84 Need all Diffractors
Card # 78 Mark Grace Need Patterns- 4, 20, 22, 24, 27, 35, 38, 39, 41, 51, 52, 54, 55, 62, 71, 73, *80, 83, 85, 90 Need all Diffractors except 16, 88

* = incoming/pending

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
As expected a last minute snipe winning bid from "you know who" on the Jeter Pattern # 55 Diffractor...lol $80+

I don't see any reason to lol @ a rare 90's Jeter card that has probably less than 10 copies out there. $80 is a steal for a card that rare of arguably one of the best 90's players. If people didn't have Christmas fast approaching I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same card easily top $100+.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
I don't see any reason to lol @ a rare 90's Jeter card that has probably less than 10 copies out there. $80 is a steal for a card that rare of arguably one of the best 90's players. If people didn't have Christmas fast approaching I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same card easily top $100+.

I thought the Jeter diffractor would go for over $100. Happy to win it at $80. I didn't bid on the last couple of Jeter diffractors that were on eBay and went for $75 to $80 without my help because they were duplicates for me. As to the whining about my bidding method, I just don't have the time to sit and watch bidding over a several-day period and keep adding tiny incremental bids like the pre-teens do. Wish I could spend all my extra time on hobbies, but I have a business to run and a family to take care of.

Funny, yesterday afternoon I stopped by an LCS that I rarely frequent. The owner is a grouchy old bird who complained years ago that I was being unfair to LCS owners like him by frequenting the Internet to collect cards. He didn't do eBay for some pretty bogus reasons. Yesterday I did pick up a couple of nice Pedro cards from him at a fair price, and picked eight misc. 1998 Teks out of his large 10-cent box. He then asked me if I was interested in what turned out to be a beat-to-crap 1998 Tek box. I gave him the $50 he asked for the box that he insisted was "as is" and non-returnable. I cracked the box this afternoon. While the box was pretty badly crushed and damaged, the cards were fine. The box definitely looked old, and he said the box had been in his cellar since '98. Lot of oddities with the packs. Many packs were missing the blue check-list. Nine packs had five cards each, including the four with diffractors. Many of the packs looked like the cards were scrambled--reversed, upside-down, etc. But they weren't damaged, and I would swear they had never been opened or tampered with. 85 commons plus 4 diffractors. I got two new diffractor patterns: a Larry Walker and an Edgar Martinez. Also two pattern 1 duplicate diffractors, one of Bernie Williams and one of Brian Jordan. I checked the commons against a bunch of want lists I have. I got one of Don's last 40 of 8100, a p. 1 Bagwell. I'll check with Shadowking86, Brian26, RustyGreerFan, and BenG76 about a few cards on their lists. Sorry I didn't hit the others people are looking for.

Rich

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I thought the Jeter diffractor would go for over $100. Happy to win it at $80. I didn't bid on the last couple of Jeter diffractors that were on eBay and went for $75 to $80 without my help because they were duplicates for me. As to the whining about my bidding method, I just don't have the time to sit and watch bidding over a several-day period and keep adding tiny incremental bids like the pre-teens do. Wish I could spend all my extra time on hobbies, but I have a business to run and a family to take care of.

Funny, yesterday afternoon I stopped by an LCS that I rarely frequent. The owner is a grouchy old bird who complained years ago that I was being unfair to LCS owners like him by frequenting the Internet to collect cards. He didn't do eBay for some pretty bogus reasons. Yesterday I did pick up a couple of nice Pedro cards from him at a fair price, and picked eight misc. 1998 Teks out of his large 10-cent box. He then asked me if I was interested in what turned out to be a beat-to-crap 1998 Tek box. I gave him the $50 he asked for the box that he insisted was "as is" and non-returnable. I cracked the box this afternoon. While the box was pretty badly crushed and damaged, the cards were fine. The box definitely looked old, and he said the box had been in his cellar since '98. Lot of oddities with the packs. Many packs were missing the blue check-list. Nine packs had five cards each, including the four with diffractors. Many of the packs looked like the cards were scrambled--reversed, upside-down, etc. But they weren't damaged, and I would swear they had never been opened or tampered with. 85 commons plus 4 diffractors. I got two new diffractor patterns: a Larry Walker and an Edgar Martinez. Also two pattern 1 duplicate diffractors, one of Bernie Williams and one of Brian Jordan. I checked the commons against a bunch of want lists I have. I got one of Don's last 40 of 8100, a p. 1 Bagwell. I'll check with Shadowking86, Brian26, RustyGreerFan, and BenG76 about a few cards on their lists. Sorry I didn't hit the others people are looking for.

Rich

Thanks for letting me know about the couple I needed. Nice find on that box as well.

Members online