Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will any baseball record ever be broken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Those records the OP posted seem nearly impossible to break. There are so many records that seem that way in baseball though. A few I'd like to note:

Whitey Ford pitched 283 innings in 1960 and didn't allow a single stolen base. I don't see that record being broken.

A few other single season records I don't see being broken:

Most shutouts: 13 -- Bob Gibson, 1968
Most IP: 376 -- Mickey Lolich, 1971
Most complete games: 36 -- Bob Feller, 1946
Most strikeouts: 383 -- Nolan Ryan, 1973

Ripken Jr's consecutive games played streak of 2,632 also seems unbreakable.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
One thing that has not been mentioned here that I think is even MORE unbreakable than Cy Young's 511 wins?

His 316 losses!

As mentioned above, there might some breakthrough technology in the future, maybe arm-strengthening and/or anti-aging, which could threaten the win total. That would only further solidify the status of the loss total (though I guess if someone were made immortal, he would eventually break both...I have too much time on my hands)..

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Ripken Jr's consecutive games played streak of 2,632 also seems unbreakable.

I was going to say that will be one that I just can't see happening.

Ryan's 7 no hitters and career strikeouts should stand the test of time. In today's game just to make it to 300 will be amazing, but at 511 Cy Young's record will NEVER be broken.
Also, I think it will be a while before someone breaks Maddux's record of 17 CONSECUTIVE 15+ win seasons.

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
No one will stick around long enough to steal 1407

My apologies to Rickey! I meant to put his stolen base record in the original post.

Another unlikely season record...consecutive no hitters pitched. Johnny Vander Meer pitched back-to-back no hitters in 1938 (79 years ago!). Someone could get on a hot streak and pitch two no hitters, but it will take three to break the record.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
My apologies to Rickey! I meant to put his stolen base record in the original post.

Another unlikely season record...consecutive no hitters pitched. Johnny Vander Meer pitched back-to-back no hitters in 1938 (79 years ago!). Someone could get on a hot streak and pitch two no hitters, but it will take three to break the record.

Wow! Had absolutely no idea that anyone had even accomplished back to back no hitters. A pitcher would literally have to walk on water to get three.

Members online