Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I really HATE when... (More fake patches)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
... people fake patches. I hate it even more when grading card companies slab these fake patches and naive collectors get suckered into buying them thinking they're real. :(

Pic from auction when originally sold

#6/9
B4CVjM2kKGrHqNhkE78oyfBMoVw7ZGc_12.jpg

Faked #6/9
$T2eC16Z,!)8E9s4l8!0IBRG)WtDBrw~~60_57.JPG

2010 Topps Triple Threads Derek Jeter All Star Patches 6 9 Beckett 9 5 Yankees | eBay

Pic from auction when originally sold

#15/20
KGrHqJkwE1K9r-Pn4BNWcwHpWg_12.jpg

Faked #15/20
$T2eC16N,!)QE9s3HDw7SBRG)Wy6B3!~~60_57.JPG

2011 Topps 60 Jumbo Relics Derek Jeter 15 20 Beckett Authenticated 1 of A Kind | eBay

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow wow wow wow wow

Whoever faked the one graded a 9.5 must of been smiling so big. Somehow he didn't tip off the grader that the card was sawed in half?! Isn't that like the small detail they're suppose to catch? Check the corners and edges?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Those patches were already very solid Jeter patches, shame on that seller. Will keep his name and report his listings if any more suspicious patches come up

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
And Beckett's response would be " we authenticate the card - not the patch!" :facepalm:

And it makes no sense, The patch is part of the card, Heck they Grade Sticker autos, which according to them is not part of the card. No only that as good as some of these people are at altering cards they do leave flaws, sometimes smaller or Bigger. You would atleast think they would come back slabbed altered.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
And it makes no sense, The patch is part of the card, Heck they Grade Sticker autos, which according to them is not part of the card. No only that as good as some of these people are at altering cards they do leave flaws, sometimes smaller or Bigger. You would atleast think they would come back slabbed altered.

I wonder that guy is who used to run around here in every fake patch topic claiming there is NO way to split the card and remove the patch without damage. I think the 9.5 ends that.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder that guy is who used to run around here in every fake patch topic claiming there is NO way to split the card and remove the patch without damage. I think the 9.5 ends that.

Yes but if you know what your looking for you will see the Damage or where/how if was altered. Heck the Fact that it was Graded means nothing (Other than to the unknowledgeable collector) as we all know Beckett and all the grading companies Grade altered vintage, Fake autos, ect ect. The person who would know how easy or hard it is to split a card and put it back together perfectly would be Mike (200lbscollector) as he is one of the best at customs cards and knows what it takes to put together and take apart.

Last edited:

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009

People were splitting LeBron Chrome RCs with common refractor colors. Think it's the reason refractors kinda suck now when compared to the old ones. Funny how Beckett broke the news on that to show how great their grading experts were for catching it at the time.

SFeistel

Aug 28, 2013
Evansville, IN
pujolspatch.jpg

Would like the patch experts to look at this one. This recently sold on a Facebook group through raffle and when I asked the seller about it and stated that I believed the patches were fake the group admin went into attack mode and it has gotten ugly. Many more Pujols relics from 2010 Triple Threads on the bay that are quite fake as well. When I stated that "typically Topps does not put such patches in a #/27 relic card" I was met with "well you must be a dip s*%t and not know anything about Triple Threads" from the admin. Class act there. HELP ME PLEASE if anyone can find out an original image or anything I would forever be in debt to them.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
To the OP, I guess all that can be assumed when a patch card is graded is that the faker did a clean enough job that the card wouldn't come back as altered. Sheesh.

Again goes to show that card companies should have picture databases of their patch cards.

- Rodrick

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I am in that group as well, and have seen that card being shopped for a few weeks, on FB. I questioned its authenticity as well. I've learned not to post about it though, as most of the members are a tight knit group, and really don't care.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

Members online

Latest posts