Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadHandle11

Jan 31, 2011
Spokane, WA
Still looking for advice on value for the Destination Cooperstown and Gold Holodomed Refractor. Only 1 of each in completed listings and sales seem high ($700 for DC) and low ($40 for Stars N Steel). I threw them up on eBay with crazy BIN but a ballpark figure would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
That is a great story!

It's hit or miss with cards like that
I would be surprised if you got more than 300 for the Destination and not really familiar with the Topps Stars and Steel card? But hey I would have said 3000 for the Red Crusade and he already has a 6500 offer...

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Still looking for advice on value for the Destination Cooperstown and Gold Holodomed Refractor. Only 1 of each in completed listings and sales seem high ($700 for DC) and low ($40 for Stars N Steel). I threw them up on eBay with crazy BIN but a ballpark figure would be appreciated. Thanks!

The $40 BIN for the Stars N Steel Domed Holo was from a seller who didn't know what he/she had - it was bought within seconds after listing. I just paid $175 for one about a month back, offline.

The Destination Cooperstown is trickier - I'd suggest letting it ride for 7 days, true auction.

Hope this helps.

TheJuniorJunkie

Jun 12, 2015
New Orleans, La
The first site I saw about the card was actually TheJuniorJunkie's blog post (http://thejuniorjunkie.blogspot.com/2015/12/1998-donruss-crusade-one-card-to-rule.html) which I found both hilarious and very informative (and directed me to this forum). So thanks to him if he sees this!

*blush*

Glad you enjoyed the write-up! And I hope you enjoy the dozens of PM's you're probably getting, pleading with you to sell it! Sadly I cannot afford such a prize...

Good luck, and only do what feels right.

pogert2003

Apr 7, 2016
MN
Any looking to sell their 1994 Finest Refractor Griffey or 1995 Finest Refractor Griffey? I'm looking to round out my personal collection...

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Good morning..

Talk about a grand entrance to the Griffey Thread..

Over the years, I have seen the Red Crusade card sell for $800, $1500, $2400, $4000, and $6500.. Reminds me of when I started collecting and saw a Bowman Mantle for $500 and everyone was saying it was too high then..
(can I get a time machine and go back to the early 80's)

If you look at the card and you think it might grade well, it might be worth sending it in.. It would be protected as well..
(here's my Edgar as an example)

edgar-red-a.jpg

Once again, great card and welcome to the Griffey thread as well as FCB..

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Good morning..

Talk about a grand entrance to the Griffey Thread..

Over the years, I have seen the Red Crusade card sell for $800, $1500, $2400, $4000, and $6500.. Reminds me of when I started collecting and saw a Bowman Mantle for $500 and everyone was saying it was too high then..
(can I get a time machine and go back to the early 80's)

If you look at the card and you think it might grade well, it might be worth sending it in.. It would be protected as well..
(here's my Edgar as an example)

edgar-red-a.jpg

Once again, great card and welcome to the Griffey thread as well as FCB..

The guy that got $6500 spelt his name wrong, the $4000 was a bin that lasted 10 minutes. You can see where I'm going with this.

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys. It's no Crusade, but I'm happy to add this one to the thread. Curious if anybody familiar with grading thinks this is worth re-grading with Beckett? I'm far from a grading expert, but I'm thinking it's close to a 10. Any opinions?

(Hold down Control and either Scroll Up, or press the plus sign to zoom in.)

Attachments

• 892506537_o - Copy.jpg
    892506537_o - Copy.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 892506581_o - Copy.jpg
    892506581_o - Copy.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hey guys. It's no Crusade, but I'm happy to add this one to the thread. Curious if anybody familiar with grading thinks this is worth re-grading with Beckett? I'm far from a grading expert, but I'm thinking it's close to a 10. Any opinions?

(Hold down Control and either Scroll Up, or press the plus sign to zoom in.)

Card looks great; better than most I've seen. Send it in! Also, welcome.

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
Card looks great; better than most I've seen. Send it in! Also, welcome.

Thank you.

That leads to a roadblock that I didn't consider until I saw the $85 invoice. Will Beckett accept a card that's in a PSA slab? Or am I expected to extract the card on my own? :confused:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Actually, having this card authenticated is much better than having it graded.

Agreed - if you don't have the original COA, having certification from BGS (even with BGS' authentication criticisms) is highly valuable, especially if you're looking to sell.

Don't know how Beckett deals with submitted cards already slabbed from other authenticators.

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
Are you referring to Upper Deck not being able to authenticate them anymore? :):facepalm:: Who was in charge of IT, there?)

If so, yes, I 100% agree with your statement. The curiosity as to what it would be graded by condition is what grabs my attention. I look at the pop report and only see two 9.5's in existence. I feel this has a shot at 10!

But if Beckett refuses to accept the card in a PSA slab, it will stay as is.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Agreed - if you don't have the original COA, having certification from PSA (even with all the PSA authentication criticisms) is highly valuable, especially if you're looking to sell.

Don't know how Beckett deals with submitted cards already slabbed from other authenticators.

I think BGS (james Spence) will not grade these or authenticate these without the COA..

I have two of the three.. I am going to get the third one someday..

mantle-jr-dual-auto.jpg

mantle-jr-auto.jpg

mantle-griffey-au-coa-a.jpg

Members online

Latest posts