Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB Weekly Hot List November 9th 2012 Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
It’s been a bad fall for me where sports are considered. I’m still smarting from the Braves getting tossed from the playoffs when Alabama gets bounced by Texas A&M costing a shot at repeating and Michael Bourn declines a qualifying offer from the Braves. Maybe I was naive in thinking that a Boras client would actually re sign with a mid market team at a reasonable rate, but seeing him fit in so well in Atlanta got my hopes up. Then the undefeated Atlanta Falcons, who had to lose eventually, lose to the freaking Saints. I realize they weren’t gonna go undefeated but why the Saints?

It looks like Topps Chrome Football is having it’s best year ever though. I didn’t know if they could top the secondary market success that they had this year. Early indications are that this product is a step forward. That’s a big deal when a product is already lights out. It’s #1 on the hot list this week.

#1 Topps Chrome Football Boxes & Cases

Topps really did their best to be through with this product. They went to some of their best designs in history to make this one of the best football products ever. Some of what drives it are the insanely beautiful rookie reprint cards. This Andrew Luck 1984 Retro on card autograph is perhaps THE card of 2012.

It’s got other nice cards as this rookie class is exploding in such a manner that even non sports news is paying attention. These boxes are doubling direct cost in hobby shops, and eBay isn’t far behind.

#2 Johnny Manziel Autographs

Mr. Football does not have a certified Autograph card. He doesn’t event have a recognized sports card. But hype is hype and you can’t deny the attention he has gotten this week. Putting up 20 points in the first quarter vs Alabama as a freshman will certainly get you noticed. At $90 for an uncertified autograph of a college freshman on a Wal-mart football is insane, and I am not sure that it has ever happened before. Put it on a nice logo ball and it can go triple that. These prices are absolutely insane.

#3 Chris Ivory Playoff Contenders Autographs

The Saints had a high visibility win this weekend as they knocked off an unbeaten. Chris Ivory turned some heads in limited time with a really long and hard fought run for a touch down that was critical in that game.

Look for another spike if it earned him some playing time for next week. Oftentimes play callers like to feed the hot hand and good games for a running back are like momentum. With Ivory’s slashing style of running and quick feet, momentum can be fun. As for now, his Contenders Auto went from $8 to $15.

#4 2012 Bowman Chrome Top Player Autos
Supply and demand is a concept as old as trade itself. If you want something and it’s getting hard to find expect to pay more. This is why it’s getting more expensive to obtain some of the top players from 2012 Bowman Chrome.

Jorge Soler has done nothing this week, yet his autographs have went from $50 for a base to $60 for a base. When the market goes up, the scales start to benefit the seller. This increase is definitely not going to make anyone who bought with the intent of flipping pull the trigger and sell. The price should hold or increase.

#5 2012 Leaf Wrestling Rare Parallel Autographs
Professional wrestlers outside the ring are some of the nicest athletes you may meet. Most of them are extraordinarily appreciative of their fans. Even the heels as they are portrayed on TV are generally nice guys once the cameras turn off. This leads to them signing a ton of autographs. That in turns leads to the devaluation of the signatures.

That was honestly the first thing I thought about when I heard about this wrestling product, as that is a huge hill to climb for this product. One way to go about it is to create the rarity by including rare chase parallels and hope people chase them. The early indications are that collectors are going to chase the limited editions in this set as this Bret “The Hit Man” Hart sold for close to $200 and others are bringing more. This could be the start of something good for wrestling products.

#6 Nick Foles High End Topps Autographs

The phrase “Michael Vick concussion” sent people rushing to eBay looking for high end Foles stuff. As I said in a previous week, no one is more popular in a bad team environment than the back up quarterback.

That 44 yard pass to Jeremy Maclin was nice, but as it was a blown Dallas coverage it’s one that nearly every NFL starter would have made.
Still, it happened and Vick is out for at least next we will all get a better view of what Foles can do. His chrome autos could possibly be a steal as they are only $33 right now.

#7 AL Rookie of the Year Mike Trout

His rookie season was by all indications amazing. When you think about a base sterling autograph selling for $220 then it sets in on what kind of career some people think this guy will have. His rookie autographs eclipse pretty much any young player in baseball and while it’s good to see card values catch up with talent, the prices that they are at are WAY too high and can’t possibly sustain long term. And that means a few years so don’t come to me January wanting a retraction.

His 2009 autographs are even more expensive than Bryce Harpers who has had much more press. Bryce also has about five times the certified autographs as Trout.
Things I wanted to put on this list but aren’t sports cards.

#1 Turfman’s Aresol Scotch: Takes the edge off for stressful things, like driving (credit EDSBS)
#2 The New Mumford and Sons album: Seriously, I didn’t think they could get any better than the first cd. Thought we had some Pearl Jam 10 thing going on there. The new CD surpasses it by a mile.
#3 The SEC: Love it or hate it, you have to admit it’s some exciting football.
#4 This chat system I am working on for FCB. Word on the street is that it’s gonna have built in user video chat rooms that you can stream your breaks in.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Nice list Chris and keep it up [MENTION=1848]masonphillip[/MENTION]

But every time I click on the links you provide. it only goes to the eBay front page. But I do know you get paid by click [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Members online