Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Round 2: Vintage Group Wax Buy From BBC Exchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Thank you for catching the error! 83's added to the invoice to BBCE.
Bill,

I will make payment ASAP, but I think your total for me was incorrect.

8 1982 Topps Rack Pack - $9.00/pack
4 1985 Topps Rack Pack - $6.00/pack

$72 + $24 = $96 + $17.50 = $113.50

Also, can you add 5 1983 Topps Cello at $7.00 - 10% = $6.30

So Grand Total would be $145.00

Thanks again for all your work on this.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'm glad we filled at least one of the SPs and I'm jacked we went after the '93.

Do you think it's guaranteed one of us hits a Jeter? Or more? Just curious, I'm imagining someone has too right?

There are no guarantees in wax. I'm optimistic we get at least one, but you never know. At least we know we got a sealed box, so that's a good thing.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There are no guarantees in wax. I'm optimistic we get at least one, but you never know. At least we know we got a sealed box, so that's a good thing.
Well I know there are no guarantee here but I was just curious if the odds are stacked in our favor... God, you'd think so... if you can buy the complete set for $200, you'd think you'd have the chance to pull one or two in a box which sells for like 2x that

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I completely hear ya. Based on some reading just about every post I read said 1 per box. A few said 2 per box and a few said none.

I believe the box prices for 93 SP are driven by four things 1) Scarcity 2) Severe Condition Sensitivity 3) PSA Population Report 4) Jeter's iconic status in the game and for future generations to come. His name in the game will outlive us all (and I don't really even like the Yankees, but I have no problem giving props to this guy!).

The boxes don't surface that often and they are getting harder and harder to find, so that increases the price. Cards are easily damaged. The black bordered backs are often damaged right out of the pack and the surfaces scratch extremely easily. CUT THE PACK OPEN AT THE TOP WITH SCISSORS - WEAR GLOVES HANDLING THE CARDS. These cards are brutal when it comes to grading. The odds on a PSA 10 grade are less than 1:1,000 and a PSA 9, about 1:25. I think in reality, it's a nice little game PSA plays to keep the prices up on the 10s, b/c no other card in the set, foil or otherwise, has anywhere near those ridiculous odds, and the cards are just as condition sensitive. PSA 8's are about $125 on average, PSA 9's sell for a grand, 10s, I'm not sure where they are at right now, but have sold in the past for $15K-$20K. Everything pulled worth grading has probably already been graded so where do you go if you want the very remote shot at a 10? Wax. A 9 is a lovely thing too, so good luck to whoever gets one. And noth for nothin, but it's nearly a $100 card raw, so if someone gets it for $16.88, I think they will be quite happy. Too bad for the rest of us, but it's a gamble - as is all this stuff we are buying. A mean, a Pujols from the 2001 products would be a huge payoff too.

I actually think we got this box at a ridiculously good price. They sell as high as $500 (we paid $405 w/discount).

The more I think about it, it's no different than why anyone would pay $350 for a 1973 Topps pack. It's all about getting singles worth grading... occasionally you get that 72 gum stained Clemente though! :(

Well I know there are no guarantee here but I was just curious if the odds are stacked in our favor... God, you'd think so... if you can buy the complete set for $200, you'd think you'd have the chance to pull one or two in a box which sells for like 2x that

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well I hope someone gets the Jeter... getting two would be amazing for the board and group of us who jump in on this... as for getting one with a high grade, I'm not worried about it.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Well I hope someone gets the Jeter... getting two would be amazing for the board and group of us who jump in on this... as for getting one with a high grade, I'm not worried about it.

Yea, pulling one would be great, whatever the condition would be.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Oh it is totally a dream pull for whoever gets it. No doubt about it. I was just trying to explain why the wax is so costly in comparison to a set. I mean if you just wanted a DJ SP RC and didn't care about condition, you'd be much better off just buying one. If you want a chance at a high grade condition one, then the approach we are taking is pretty much it, unless you want to she'll out $1,000. Actually that is probably more practical too, but this is just $16.88 per shot :)

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Payment sent boss. I'm crossing everything that can be crossed on this.

Though somehow I sent it gift AND plus 3%.... Remember that for next time.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Oh it is totally a dream pull for whoever gets it. No doubt about it. I was just trying to explain why the wax is so costly in comparison to a set. I mean if you just wanted a DJ SP RC and didn't care about condition, you'd be much better off just buying one. If you want a chance at a high grade condition one, then the approach we are taking is pretty much it, unless you want to she'll out $1,000. Actually that is probably more practical too, but this is just $16.88 per shot :)

I have thought about the bolded above... Really though, the cheapest one on COMCs is $75 and that's a pretty beat up Jeter. I'm not sure what you can get one on eBay for but I think it's around $60 or so. That's why I only got 2 packs because not only would it be amazing to pull the Jeter but the condition would hopefully be good. If I pull it, I'll probably grade it no matter what. Just seems like slabbing it would be the route to go.

Anyways, are there any other decent hits? Damon I think is decent right? Especially if you get in good condition... grade for added bonus.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
There really isn't anything else in 93SP to get excited about. I think there is a low end insert set, but that's about it. Chipper Jones and Johnny Damon Foil cards as well. Nolan Ryan.

As for the odds on getting a Jeter, it appears there are 2 more cards in the set than there are in the box, barring no doubles (which I'm sure there will be some).

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'll refund you. That must be like $10 on your order!

I have comments on that, but I'll leave it alone. :)
Payment sent boss. I'm crossing everything that can be crossed on this.

Though somehow I sent it gift AND plus 3%.... Remember that for next time.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There really isn't anything else in 93SP to get excited about. I think there is a low end insert set, but that's about it. Chipper Jones and Johnny Damon Foil cards as well. Nolan Ryan.

As for the odds on getting a Jeter, it appears there are 2 more cards in the set than there are in the box, barring no doubles (which I'm sure there will be some).

I'm feeling good someone will get a Jeter... would be AWESOME if two people did!

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
The Jeter would be somewhat mindblowing no matter what. Prospecting on my own is fun, prospecting with a whole group of people makes it about the funnest prospecting experience possible. I can't wait to hear about awesome rookies from the 70's-2000's on this one!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Guys, Zach (jackaryman8) has to drop out of the buy. He was in an accident a little while ago and has to use the funds to pay for the damage he did to someone's car. It is very unfortunate for him and bad for us as a group b/c I can't float his purchase. Is anyone able to pick up his packs or bits and pieces of it?

1982 Donruss - $1.63/pack x4
1982 Topps Rack Packs - $9/pack x2
1989 Upper Deck Lo - $2.25/pack x12
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game - $6.00/pack x2
2001 SP Legendary Cuts - $15/pack x2

$93.52 Total - I'll break it up if people want pieces [MENTION=2777]Todd44[/MENTION] here is an opening for the 1982 Topps Racks you wanted!

Anyone else? I have to rectify this before I can place the order. [MENTION=2458]Erich[/MENTION] [MENTION=5416]D-Lite[/MENTION] [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] [MENTION=8797]RedSoxSoul[/MENTION] [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] [MENTION=7174]cubfanbudman[/MENTION] [MENTION=2384]cubfan131[/MENTION] [MENTION=2159]Greg Cleveland[/MENTION] [MENTION=2271]DRav87[/MENTION] [MENTION=1743]wolfmanalfredo[/MENTION] [MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION] [MENTION=4137]rawonion[/MENTION] [MENTION=5245]trauty[/MENTION]

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
I'm really sorry guys...I feel like crap about this but this is something I need to get taken care of immediately. The next time this comes around I should be able to try again. First accidents always come at an inopportune time...well, I guess any accident does. Again, I'm really sorry about this.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Bill -- I'll take one of the 82 racks, one more 82 Donruss and an 89 UD low... that should add up to about the same as the 2 82 cellos I was gonna get, Right?