Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sportsbuy closing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
You'd have to be crazy to send COMC any submission right now as they're going through these two law suits and then the overhaul of their site. No offense to COMC but they're site looks like sh!t right now. I use to visit it a few times a day and have a hard time looking at it once a day now. I know Beckett pulled the plug and it's not a quick fix but damn... that really had to hurt them and their traffic at least.

The lawsuits are garbage.

Everything is going to be fine, just give it a week. They have great in-house database admins.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Just as a seller on SL I get my $100+ paypal deposit on the first of every month. So I don't think that is who is not paying out on time.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
You'd have to be crazy to send COMC any submission right now as they're going through these two law suits and then the overhaul of their site. No offense to COMC but they're site looks like sh!t right now. I use to visit it a few times a day and have a hard time looking at it once a day now. I know Beckett pulled the plug and it's not a quick fix but damn... that really had to hurt them and their traffic at least.

What's the second law suit? Beckett is suing COMC for allegedly stealing checklist and pricing data, what's the other one?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
How can someone steal checklist data? Cards are called what they are called. Beckett doesn't own rights to what things they have no ownership of are called.
One would then ask how can Beckett charge for the ability to download the checklist then?

I tend to subscribe to the thought that Beckett, at some level, creates the checklists and compiles them, therefore it's theirs but clearly you can make your own checklist but when COMC is pulling directly from their site, tough to argue they're not taking it from them or using them. Too bad they couldn't just make ends meet with Beckett... I'll say it again, COMC looks like sh!t right now after the plug got pulled... traffic has to be a fraction of what it was

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You don't have to pay to just search Beckett though.
Searching Beckett and checklists are two completely different things. In order for me to get Albert Belle's player checklist, I have to pay for the player pricing, which is like $3/month. Otherwise, you're right, I can just search Beckett all I want for general information.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure how exactly COMC was able to get all the info, etc. but something was weird with it. Either way, they screwed up royally with not working something out with Beckett regarding it. Either that or Beckett had the price SO high that it was a good business decision to not go forward with it.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Searching Beckett and checklists are two completely different things. In order for me to get Albert Belle's player checklist, I have to pay for the player pricing, which is like $3/month. Otherwise, you're right, I can just search Beckett all I want for general information.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure how exactly COMC was able to get all the info, etc. but something was weird with it. Either way, they screwed up royally with not working something out with Beckett regarding it. Either that or Beckett had the price SO high that it was a good business decision to not go forward with it.

According to the lawsuit Beckett filed against COMC, Beckett tried to completely terminate the agreement they had in December, four months before it was set to expire. This seems to have been a move out of the blue, and one way of reading this is that Beckett was attempting to cripple COMC.

COMC decision to keep using Beckett's data just until end of the agreement seems to have angered Beckett, so I wouldn't fault COMC for not being able to come to new terms with Beckett.

I do wonder what COMC was doing from December (Beckett's termination of the agreement) until March (start of challenges), however. Maybe they were struggling to get a checklist, couldn't do it, and turned to crowd sourcing as a last ditch effort? I like COMC a lot, but even after Beckett knocked on the bathroom door, they were really caught with their pants down.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

Pricing does not equal checklist. Yes, you have to pay for pricing. No, you don't have to pay to see the checklist.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Pricing does not equal checklist. Yes, you have to pay for pricing. No, you don't have to pay to see the checklist.
I'm going off the assumption that you don't pay for any pricing via Beckett... if that's the case, then I would challenge you to go try and pull me the Albert Belle checklist then. You'll find that you can't. It's actually grayed out and the only way to turn that on is to have player pricing, period. Of course you could also get it if you paid for all baseball pricing, etc. but you get the point.

Believe me, I really HOPE that I'm wrong here because you'd save me one-off instances to pay the $3 to get the checklist officially from their system.

Let me know!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I like COMC a lot, but even after Beckett knocked on the bathroom door, they were really caught with their pants down.
THIS!!!!!!!!!

I mean for the love of god... have you just looked at COMC recently? I just dove back in just now and realize why there haven't been any "newly listed" Albert Belle cards in a while.... THERE ARE NO NAMES ON CARDS haha... Wow, someone dropped the ball. Those dudes at COMC must be working around the clock to figure this out. What a disaster IMO. I'm SO glad I have less than $3 credit on that site right now... this could take a while.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I'm going off the assumption that you don't pay for any pricing via Beckett... if that's the case, then I would challenge you to go try and pull me the Albert Belle checklist then. You'll find that you can't. It's actually grayed out and the only way to turn that on is to have player pricing, period. Of course you could also get it if you paid for all baseball pricing, etc. but you get the point.

Believe me, I really HOPE that I'm wrong here because you'd save me one-off instances to pay the $3 to get the checklist officially from their system.

Let me know!

http://www.beckett.com/player/albert-belle-394008

We must be using the same word (checklist) to mean two different things. To me, a checklist is just a list of cards. I'm not talking about the ability to use Beckett's inventory system to maintain a want/have list. I mean you can still access the list of cards without having to pay.

I use SCF's Inventory Manager to keep track of my collections (for free). For my players, SCF's system is a lot more complete than Beckett, so it works better for me. Looks like SCF has a larger list for Belle, as well (2,893 vs 2,789 at Beckett)

Last edited:

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

Let me know!

http://www.beckett.com/search/?term=Albert+Belle

$3 a month saved, for $36 a year. You can just give me one $25 Gomes card each Christmas and we'll call it even;)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION] [MENTION=3094]LWMM[/MENTION] - I think we're getting this topic a little twisted... let me try this again... It's free and on the web to go line by line on Beckets website and see each and every card in their database. The issue is how the hell are you going to take that data for Albert Belle and get it into anything that looks remotely like a checklist in word or excel or whatever? You'd have to individually, line by line, type them in or try some crazy copy/paste. My point was without spending an entire day hard coding it all yourself, you could pay $3 and just download an actual clean easy to reach checklist (a list that you can check) in PDF from their site. That is what I'm referring too. You can't access that without paying.

[MENTION=6726]PadresFan86[/MENTION] - can you explain? You just went line by line copy and pasting the link into excel or word? That must of taken forever lol.

All in all - I don't have all the money in the word but $3 doesn't break the bank to get Albert Belle's complete checklist in a formatted clean way. You only need to do it once and then like [MENTION=6726]PadresFan86[/MENTION] said, you just drop it into excel or word and then you're good to go. I then just monitor the checklist count and if the # goes up or down, I use the free website to figure out what was added or deleted. If you asked me to do a checklist for any player, that's what I would do. $3 and you're done.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I use SCF's Inventory Manager to keep track of my collections (for free). For my players, SCF's system is a lot more complete than Beckett, so it works better for me. Looks like SCF has a larger list for Belle, as well (2,893 vs 2,789 at Beckett)
What is SCF? Probably the only one that doesn't know... can you PM it to me or something? I'd love to see it or check this out. As some know, I'm crazy about my checklist and monitor it daily, so would be cool to check this out and see what ~100 cards they have added because I probably have a lot of them in my binder for "non-Beckett" cards for Belle.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I copy and pasted Caminiti's entire checklist onto Microsoft word by highlighting from Beckett's website. I keep a want list on a separate word document. It copied onto word weird, it was disorganized but I just edited it. Took a couple hours but worth it.

A lot of collectors prefer the excel format, I find word to work better for me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I copy and pasted Caminiti's entire checklist onto Microsoft word by highlighting from Beckett's website. I keep a want list on a separate word document. It copied onto word weird, it was disorganized but I just edited it. Took a couple hours but worth it.

A lot of collectors prefer the excel format, I find word to work better for me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Cool, that makes sense and further explains my point. It's entirely possible to do it the long way this way. For me, $3 is WELL worth a couple hours of my time and to also be able to hang my hat on everything coming over properly and formatted nicely with a one second download for $3.

Anyways, to everyone their own. That's what makes the hobby great.

Members online

Latest posts