Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A late start....Night Crew Ep. 4. Ticked off Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Whats crackalackin late night geeks n freaks? Well, its a tad bit later than I normally would start it but I'm really ticked off right now. Today was my birthday and I had to work the late shift. I got a call from my LCS today wanting to know if I wanted any Topps Chrome and I declined when I heard jumbo boxes were going for 250. I'm sorry, I just can't spend that kind of money on a box with an extremely outside shot at hitting only one or two autos that might cover that price if I decided to sell. So that pretty much set the tone for my day. Shop owner wasn't really happy that I declined to purchase new stuff from him. Oh well, screw it.

So, I decided to go to Walmart tonight to look for Topps Chrome seeing as how my local stores restock on Fridays and Chrome just hit on Wednesday. First Walmart I went to literally had ONE blaster on the entire shelf and that was the 2017 Panini Football release. Ummm, no thanks. So then, I got the wife and we went to the other Walmart near me that normally has a pretty awesome selection of cards. Walk in, and there is not ONE freaking pack left of Chrome. NOTHING. The display box was completely empty! No blasters, packs, mega blasters. Nada. Just pisses me off that someone went in and wiped out the entire display. They did the same thing with Platinum. Oh well.

Anyways, how is everyone tonight?

Check in NOW!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Can we talk about how the hobby has stepped up its retail game in 2017. It's kinda great.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I can talk about it......if I could find some DAMN hobby to buy!!!! Frustrating.

Seriously, I really like how many of the retail offerings are doing well. Its crazy that Judge and Bellinger, and Benintendi earlier in the year, are driving impressive sales for retail product. The manufacturers seem to be adding a tad more value in the products too. But still, when was the last time you had a base card like a Judge Topps RC sell for more than 5 bucks?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
They should step up their retail game.

I would imagine that the majority of consumers don’t have a local LCS available to visit on a daily basis.

More cards should be put in major stores.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I will agree that they need some thicker toploaders for game used and also some magnetics. If I remember correctly, they did sell mags for a little while. I think it came with a display stand also. It would be nice to see different sized toploaders.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I've found a (partial) set I think I'm in love with: the 500/600/700 HR Club portion of the 2016 Pantheon base set.

Before I took a break from the hobby I completed a 500 HR Club game-used collection. As a low-end collector I went for any jersey/bat cards I could find, especially of the bigger names. In fact, a couple (like Ruth) were gifts from other collectors.

The Pantheon set looks interesting, especially since some of the cards can be had for $20 and under. The downside is that all members of the club aren't included (Mantle and Pujols for example).

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
We need more hobby boxes in retail stores.

Been done before. Pretty fun times. I remember you could pick up some Topps and Fleer hobby boxes for a decent price. So so on the hits that came out however, I did hit an 8 pc game used 1/1 jersey card from a hobby box of Luxury Box basketball back in the day. Sold it for 400 bucks.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I live in southeast AK. my Wal-Mart (not a super) carries almost no retail anything. so far this year they've had blasters of series 1 & 2 and about 4 ginter blasters total.
I'd try my luck if I could find anything at all. would really like to find someone local that sold 180pt mini- snap tites. everyone either charges $40 to ship here or refuses.

Members online

Latest posts