Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Time to play a game. Real or fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
f1f3d0284870c49bd5e1d122fd11d51e.jpg

Will post opinion as discussion progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I know nothing about his signing habits, and I'll take the word of the members above that it's odd he wouldn't center on the sweet spot. Before I read any comments my first thought was why would someone fake it and not center it?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I'll say fake, as it looks like the M in Mickey was gone over twice in a portion and the M in Mantle looks a bit shaky as well.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Something doesn't seem right. Either its fake or just a bit of a flat one. I've heard he is the most faked auto of all time so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Looks like one of the infamous "banana M" forgeries that plagued the hobby.
But it has a JSA letter of authenticity, so it must be real. *sarcasm*

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't know. I'd want to see the JSA letter as well as more pics of the ball.

The more I look at it the more the fact that it is signed so low trips the "fake" alarm. Even a couple months before his death Mantle was still meticulous about signing in the center of the sweet spot.

I'd want to see the ball outside that case too. I can't tell if the distortion in the Ms is the signature itself or because of the plastic.

Edit: Didn't see the pics of the JSA letter. Letter + confirmation pretty well seals it but man that's the worst authentic Mantle auto'd ball I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I don't know. I'd want to see the JSA letter as well as more pics of the ball.

The more I look at it the more the fact that it is signed so low trips the "fake" alarm. Even a couple months before his death Mantle was still meticulous about signing in the center of the sweet spot.

I'd want to see the ball outside that case too. I can't tell if the distortion in the Ms is the signature itself or because of the plastic.

Edit: Didn't see the pics of the JSA letter. Letter + confirmation pretty well seals it but man that's the worst authentic Mantle auto'd ball I've ever seen.

If I was looking for a Mantle signed ball for my collection, I'd pass..

Members online