Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

These came in the store so I bought them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
One thing I noticed from the ones the guy has listed, and from the Champions set you auctioned off not too long ago, is that the cards with the pixelated sample on them are all from 2005. Not that it says anything, but if they were "faking" these why limit it to just one year.

It would cost more to fake these than they sell for.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
None of that matters. All that matters is can I make money off the buy while maintaining my integrity.

Don't think your integrity would come into question here since you obviously didn't buy these with the intention of scamming anyone. And I usually stay away from siding with the guys in the conspiracy theory but agree with allstars and I see a few things wrong with these cards, starting with the grainy sample print on that Killebrew and continuing with the fact that the Clemente Prime Cuts should have never been printed that way to begin with, the Koufax has a cut out for his sticker auto but Clemente obviously doesn't have sticker autos and there are no quad cards like that with a cut auto in that Prime Cuts.

Is it possible that this guy is printing the front and backs of the cards or something? Seems far too unlikely to me because then he should just print far more valuable cards than simple error cards, but then again some scammers are very advanced and very stupid. To me it just doesn't make sense why those cards from 05 are just surfacing and why at least the ones you've shown to us are all top of the line caliber players that are definitely going to bring decent coin. Where are the samples of the low end guys? Obviously these aren't questions for you, but just in general for whoever acquired/made these samples.

The fact that the "Sample" on that Killebrew looks so out of place is just strange because if the guy was a crook surely he could have gone in the paint program and airbrushed the grainy part, but if it's Donruss then why the terrible quality.

And the last comment I'd have would be the obvious red flag that this guy refuses to give you any info of where he got it even if there was nothing suspicious whatsoever that's always at least suspicious to me.

You're not in the wrong at all from my view, and regardless of whether they're "homeade" or from Donruss they have some worth of course more if they're coming from the company printers, but think about it player collectors buy 1/1 homemade sketch cards, I'm sure there's some interest in "homemade" sample cards as well. Hopefully it all works out but with so little information it's hard to tell

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I think some of you guys misunderstand. I know exactly what these cards are from because I know the process.

These cards are proofs for internal and external quality assurance checks.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
I think some of you guys misunderstand. I know exactly what these cards are from because I know the process.

These cards are proofs for internal and external quality assurance checks.
These cards are from Donruss/Playoff. Scraps or leftovers...possibly. Backdoored...possibly. However, I do happen to believe that they were part of the production process as well. Is everyone that's skeptical trying to suggest that these are completely counterfeit or just don't consider them valuable?

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Doesn't really matter if these were stolen or not because the company has long gone bankrupt and been sold off. If anything that is probably why these are starting to appear now and not right after Donruss' last collapse as a company.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'd be very interested to know how someone could fake cards like those and where they had access to printing to create those cards - cause I just don't see it happening.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Doesn't really matter if these were stolen or not because the company has long gone bankrupt and been sold off. If anything that is probably why these are starting to appear now and not right after Donruss' last collapse as a company.

With all due respect, there are so many flaws with that argument, I don't know where to start. Just because the company is no longer in existence (they didn't go bankrupt - they sold their assets) doesn't mean that the property isn't stolen. I am not saying it is or isn't.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There's really no way to tell if any proof, negative, positive or plate was part of the actual production process without a legitimate COA.

Even if it passes a visual inspection by a regular collector, there's no way of knowing for sure if it was produced after the real production run had completed without that legit COA.

One should probably just treat these things 'as is'.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
I don't care about the origin or any of that...I just want to know if there's any I-Rod, Vlad or Biggio stuff in your lot Chris! Hit me up if so.

Thanks!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
There's really no way to tell if any proof, negative, positive or plate was part of the actual production process without a legitimate COA.

Even if it passes a visual inspection by a regular collector, there's no way of knowing for sure if it was produced after the real production run had completed without that legit COA.

One should probably just treat these things 'as is'.

Definitely a great point no one has mentioned before, usually proofs and things of that nature come with a COA, at least if it's from the Topps vault. I don't think anyone is saying there's no value in these things, there obviously is with so many player collectors out there that love oddball items, even in this thread alone. But where these cards actually came from is still anyone's guess

cbarnes274

Dec 29, 2012
New Jersey
I have a couple of donruss dk cards that have SAMPLE printed on the back. Not sure of the year, but I am pretty sure it is Clemente and Sosa. The lettering is small and at the bottom of the card. I bought a whole collection about 6-7 years ago and these were in the lot. I never thought anything of them. Is there any value behind the card?

Jun 30, 2010
As more food for thought.......So what makes for legitimate means for a product to hit the streets WAAAY after the fact( 1996 Leaf Signature Extended Otis Nixon Autograph...No uproar) or the Original Donruss 1/1 Samples( slight uproar) and other products hitting the street after the fact and the discussion becomes a little more intense.. Current Discovered Donruss 1/1 Samples/Autographics/Rookie Premiere autos/Finest Gold refractors/ Bowman reds/other Gold refractors. What is the criteria for when it is OK for an after the fact product to hit the market or not OK? Just pondering. Any thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.