Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whaaaaat? Qualifying offers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I see that no players accepted their qualifying offer of 1yr/$14.1m.

Including Stephen Drew. What? I don't know if I'm more surprised that Stephen Drew received a qualifying offer, or the fact that he turned it down.

I have no words. lol

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I think Drew is a real head scratcher too. With the draft pick tied to him I think he ends up like Kyle Lohse last year, I think Boras is going to cost him on this one

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I believe the thinking is that they'd rather have 3/24 than 1/14. Not sure though.

if you want job security, 3/24 is better. If you are going for the economics while you can, obviously $14m is better than averaging $8m/year (unless the contract is so front-loaded you are getting more than $14m for year one).

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Yeah, it would have been a slight overpay for Salty for 1 year had he accepted it, but that's no guarantee. If he did, then no problem because our catching situation is set for next year.

I think you find a equal player for a 3rd of that price, Ryan Hanigan is available...I think he probably has a higher WAR than Salty; less power bet overall a more consistent player.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I think you find a equal player for a 3rd of that price, Ryan Hanigan is available...I think he probably has a higher WAR than Salty; less power bet overall a more consistent player.
I would love the Sox to trade for Hanigan, for some reason I don't think that will happen.

saraceno21

Oct 18, 2012
Drew will get a multi year deal with someone else (Yankees???) and make out better in the long run. He is a good shortstop who proved he is back to being healthy last season.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Drew will get a multi year deal with someone else (Yankees???) and make out better in the long run. He is a good shortstop who proved he is back to being healthy last season.
Not with the Yankees. At least not unless they miss out on Cano, McCann and all the other guys they are targeting and still need to sign players.

I expect a 2-3 year deal with annual money of 6-8 million. Him costing a draft pick now will also hurt his value.

Members online

Latest posts