Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1997ToppsMintBack_zps9b109c07-1.jpg

1997ToppsMint_zpsfc8bbede-1.jpg

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Well you made my point, Griffey's career is essentially his monster Mariner years (1st half), then his very mediocre stint with the Reds. I agree that injuries plagued him over that span, but he was never hotter than he was in the mid and late 90s... coincidentally lining up with his most valuable inserts.

Maybe "didn't live up to the hype" was the wrong phrase, and "didn't sustain his incredible statistical pace" that he set for himself. If someone today like Harper or Trout fell off from their pace, you'd expect their cards to cool off a bit. Yet Griffey collectors seem to be unphased by the second half of his career.

I am late to this conversation, but value to the collector is more than just on field performance. Griffey was THE player of the 1990s, had enormous marketability, flare, charisma, and was chasing down the homerun record.

He was the Swingman, the Kid, Jr, backwards cap, the guy who made baseball cool. He had video games named after him.

Value of cards may not increase in value because naturally the collector base changes over time to newer players, the next generation, but Griffey for the forsee able future will have a large fan base.

He is free from steroid allegation, has potential to be the first unanimous hall of famer ever.

He is in a class above Ripken who was great still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Does anyone have a Museum Griffey Black frame auto they might be looking to move. If so, I can be reached via pm. I'd be interested in purchasing. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bcarlson33

Nov 14, 2014
Anyone have a Griffey 1999 Fleer Mystique Established /100 they would be willing to move? Sell or trade?
let me know as i would like to pick one up

Members online

Latest posts