Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finally PSA will have dual grading for auto cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I grade everything with PSA for several reasons, uniformity is one since I am incredibly anal about my collection. I have not graded any auto cards because of it, and I always thought it hurt them, and besides Sub grades it was the one legitimate thing I thought BGS had over PSA. Well now as part of their case upgrades they have dual grading as seen on their site

http://www.psacard.com

i can live without the sub grades but this helps if I ever want to add high end rookie autos to my collection.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Def a good step if they are accurate. There are some head scratchers with auto grades at BGS , but is they are consistent it should be a plus.

Ryan

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Autograph grading is stupid. A "10" auto left in the sun can turn into a "2" in a matter of months. But, hey, it says "AUTO 10" right here on the label.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I, like you, like PSA and that's all I use. I don't care much about an auto grade and always thought it was pointless. I don't need a third party to tell me if an auto is streaking or faded or real nice. I would much rather like to know the sub grades as to why a card got a particular grade. I've got a few vintage and modern for that matter, that look real nice and they come back a 4. Would just be nice to know what I missed to make it that grade.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Autograph grading is stupid. A "10" auto left in the sun can turn into a "2" in a matter of months. But, hey, it says "AUTO 10" right here on the label.

If agree you can't just buy the grade. But a crappy looking sig should be downgraded because of it. So although 1-10 may not be best solution but it's something.

Ryan

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I agree that this is pointless and I just don't understand the appeal of the auto grade. Maybe it's that BGS does such an atrocious job of being consistent with the auto grades that has ruined it for me.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I don't remember PSA grading Auto's just the card. As far as subgrades PSA doesn't show that. I prefer beckett because the card is better protected and has subgrades. I have seen cards get damaged in a PSA slab but most people prefer PSA so they sell for more and people use them more for that reason. My only guess is the POP report helped them and they have smaller cases over beckett. So my point is PSA positives sells for more, BGS positives shows subgrades and better protected. Every grade has human error so you can have a card graded 5 times and get 5 different grades. From what I have been told they look at each card with a times 10 loop of some sort and finds any error and gets downgraded from there.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I don't remember PSA grading Auto's just the card. As far as subgrades PSA doesn't show that. I prefer beckett because the card is better protected and has subgrades. I have seen cards get damaged in a PSA slab but most people prefer PSA so they sell for more and people use them more for that reason. My only guess is the POP report helped them and they have smaller cases over beckett. So my point is PSA positives sells for more, BGS positives shows subgrades and better protected. Every grade has human error so you can have a card graded 5 times and get 5 different grades. From what I have been told they look at each card with a times 10 loop of some sort and finds any error and gets downgraded from there.

PSA sells for more mainly because of their Registry, BGS registry is garbage. I do not like the BGS case at all, and the BVG separation is a dumb idea as well. Also there is the thing about BGS being more tolerant on smaller cards, leaving room for trimmers to clean up the card, but like most, I believe both are reputable companies. If you do not believe me try crossing a BGS 9 to a PSA 9 on a 93 Sp Jeter via crack out and see how many come back EOT (evidence of trimming) The reason I like the dual grades is because there are a lot of cards being sold as Gem Mint 10s that the 10 is for auto grade only. This leaves no doubt.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
PSA sells for more mainly because of their Registry, BGS registry is garbage. I do not like the BGS case at all, and the BVG separation is a dumb idea as well. Also there is the thing about BGS being more tolerant on smaller cards, leaving room for trimmers to clean up the card, but like most, I believe both are reputable companies. If you do not believe me try crossing a BGS 9 to a PSA 9 on a 93 Sp Jeter via crack out and see how many come back EOT (evidence of trimming) The reason I like the dual grades is because there are a lot of cards being sold as Gem Mint 10s that the 10 is for auto grade only. This leaves no doubt.

I have not tried to convert over but I have heard both ways where PSA converted over would grade higher on beckett and vise versa. I know a buddy of mine tried to get a 1996 Sportflix Jumbo Jeter card graded a BGS 9.5 and they told him it would not grade a 9.5 so he took it to PSA and got a PSA 10. That's that human error as a Gem Mint should be Gem Mint both ways. I have heard beckett tends to grade a card that could be trimmed but then again I thought I had at least a BGS 9 on a SP Jeter rookie sent it in and they sent it back saying it was trimmed and I compared it to a common SP card and it had really no difference so I think it's still on the grader. The best way I can describe the difference was take your finger nail it was that much of a difference so probably a 64th of an inch. Beckett has a bulkier case yes but what does PSA have on there card from protecting the sides getting damaged moving in the case? Beckett encases there card in a sealed penny sleeve where the card has no chance of getting damaged while in the case. There POP report of beckett sucks but if that's what your going off of then every card would have to be graded. It could be a POP 1 today and a POP 5 next year. I know I have a ton of Jeter cards that would grade well and change the POP report so if that's why your spending a crazy amount of money then you are more than likely going to lose in the long run buying a graded card in the long run. I tend to grade cards I have doubles of for Jeter so I can keep the better condition card.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I have not tried to convert over but I have heard both ways where PSA converted over would grade higher on beckett and vise versa. I know a buddy of mine tried to get a 1996 Sportflix Jumbo Jeter card graded a BGS 9.5 and they told him it would not grade a 9.5 so he took it to PSA and got a PSA 10. That's that human error as a Gem Mint should be Gem Mint both ways. I have heard beckett tends to grade a card that could be trimmed but then again I thought I had at least a BGS 9 on a SP Jeter rookie sent it in and they sent it back saying it was trimmed and I compared it to a common SP card and it had really no difference so I think it's still on the grader. The best way I can describe the difference was take your finger nail it was that much of a difference so probably a 64th of an inch. Beckett has a bulkier case yes but what does PSA have on there card from protecting the sides getting damaged moving in the case? Beckett encases there card in a sealed penny sleeve where the card has no chance of getting damaged while in the case. There POP report of beckett sucks but if that's what your going off of then every card would have to be graded. It could be a POP 1 today and a POP 5 next year. I know I have a ton of Jeter cards that would grade well and change the POP report so if that's why your spending a crazy amount of money then you are more than likely going to lose in the long run buying a graded card in the long run. I tend to grade cards I have doubles of for Jeter so I can keep the better condition card.

Pop repoets are important on realized prices, but not as important as the registry itself. The Jordan Fleer RC PSA 10 has realized prices at auction north of 20k while a BGS 9.5 sells for 5.5-7k. The registry is a way of letting collectors display and compete with their collections at high end all the way to low end levels. BGS has nothing to match this. I have never seen a card damaged in either holder. Like I said to each his own. I am no fan of Bekcett at all for pricing, but think they do have a legitimate grading company and for most cards I have little problem buying BGS slabbed and then cracking them before I send to PSA.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Pop repoets are important on realized prices, but not as important as the registry itself. The Jordan Fleer RC PSA 10 has realized prices at auction north of 20k while a BGS 9.5 sells for 5.5-7k. The registry is a way of letting collectors display and compete with their collections at high end all the way to low end levels. BGS has nothing to match this. I have never seen a card damaged in either holder. Like I said to each his own. I am no fan of Bekcett at all for pricing, but think they do have a legitimate grading company and for most cards I have little problem buying BGS slabbed and then cracking them before I send to PSA.

But how is 2 Gem Mint cards selling at that difference? Who come up with the price that a PSA 10 will cost $20k and a BGS 9.5 sells at $5.5 to $7k. My only thought on this is because PSA 10 is the highest grade where beckett has that BGS 10. I know PSA is more popular as most people I know deal with PSA. My issue with PSA is getting a card seeing it's Gem Mint or Mint but not knowing what flaws they saw. I like to look at the cards after I get them back and see what I missed that they caught. Either way everyone has there preference yours is PSA and mine is BGS for my personal collection. If it's for sale only I will go to PSA every time and that's why I think so many submit to PSA for grading. I will not sell any of my Jeter collection that is not a double so to me I like the BGS slabs and grades. My daughters will be the ones who sell my collection when I am not on this earth any longer.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
But how is 2 Gem Mint cards selling at that difference? Who come up with the price that a PSA 10 will cost $20k and a BGS 9.5 sells at $5.5 to $7k. My only thought on this is because PSA 10 is the highest grade where beckett has that BGS 10. I know PSA is more popular as most people I know deal with PSA. My issue with PSA is getting a card seeing it's Gem Mint or Mint but not knowing what flaws they saw. I like to look at the cards after I get them back and see what I missed that they caught. Either way everyone has there preference yours is PSA and mine is BGS for my personal collection. If it's for sale only I will go to PSA every time and that's why I think so many submit to PSA for grading. I will not sell any of my Jeter collection that is not a double so to me I like the BGS slabs and grades. My daughters will be the ones who sell my collection when I am not on this earth any longer.

the market makes that decision. The Registry pushes it. For the record. Your Jeters would look great in any high end collection. Impressive run. I like collections like yours. Rookie cards, and playing year cards, I do not mind auto cards, but have no need for post retirement autos, jerseys, buttons, patches or any of that nonsense. Just good solid rookie cards in top condition.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

the market makes that decision. The Registry pushes it. For the record. Your Jeters would look great in any high end collection. Impressive run. I like collections like yours. Rookie cards, and playing year cards, I do not mind auto cards, but have no need for post retirement autos, jerseys, buttons, patches or any of that nonsense. Just good solid rookie cards in top condition.

Only one Mem card I will keep and it was a bat card from 1999. Other than that I have no interest in any of them. I sold quite a few of my other cards of his because he is just too expensive to collect for his entire career and the 90's had some of the best card in my opinion.

Members online