Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you collect ticket stubs? I stumbled upon this extremely cool "significant" game stub!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Do you collect ticket stubs? I stumbled upon this extremely cool "significant" game stub!

I have been known to grab random stubs here and there and have kept pretty much every baseball ticket stub for every game I have ever attended. I like the special stubs that feature players or events depicted in photos on the stub, but sometimes there are stubs that are just collectible in themselves, simply due to an event that occurred at that game. This is not new, people have been collecting significant stubs for many years. World Series, All Star games, milestone events, debuts, last career games, etc. Some of my favorite stubs include Garvey's MLB debut, the day he tied and then the next day where he broke the NL consecutive games played record, his 1984 NLCS HR and a game in 1977 which he went 5 for 5 with 5 runs scored and had 5 RBIs. I still seek a few other special games, like his last MLB game and some related to the longest playing infield, but hope to locate them someday. I just added one that ranks right up there though and really had no idea it even existed until I saw it. last week

A little background story first:

The 1977 Dodgers were the first team in MLB history to have 4 players to hit at least 30 home runs each in the same season. Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey and Reggie Smith were the teammates to accomplish this feat. Garvey lead the way at 33, Smith followed up with 32 and both Cey and Baker just made it with 30 a piece.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Teams_with_4_players_with_30_home_runs

11 more teams have gone on to match this feat, but the Dodgers will forever be the trailblazers of this record.

So recently I came upon a lot of three Dodger stubs in an Ebay listing. The listing mentioned that one game in the lot, September 18, 1977, was a game in which Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey and Reggie Smith each hit a home run. That caught my eye, considering this was their historic season and each of the 4 had hit a HR in a single game! This was #31 for Garvey and #30 for both Cey and Smith! The only thing that could have made this game any better is if Baker would have slammed #30 too, but he was lagging behind the gang and was only at #28 for this game. Although Baker wouldn't make the record official until Oct 2, the final game of the season, this had to be a special game. I mean, how many times could the 4 players have hit HRs in the same game in this historic season? After checking every 1977 Dodgers box score in which the Dodgers scored 4 runs or more, I confirmed that this was THE ONLY TIME it happened that season.

This game is the only time in a season where each man hit 30 or more HRs, where they all went yard together! I'm pretty happy to add this one for $1.99 + $1.50 s/h and it arrived home today.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN197709180.shtml

attachment.php

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 118

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
That's a cool ticket for sure and pretty unique. I've added a few Clark pieces, but haven't jumped in like I plan to do when I get a lil more bored with the other categories I'm collecting. I really want to add his first game, and some of the other key games. I may stretch it to all his hr games , or hit games etc. Except for a few of the key ones, I really don't want to pay more than $1-2 each though so maybe I'll hold out for a lot So to answer your question, yes I like them and I know some other members collect as well. I think [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] has all the Harper Hr games so far and I think @VizquelCollector has quite a few.

Ryan

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Not really, but those are some cool ticket stubs. I like the Dodgers/Phillies ticket stub the most. I've got a few ticket stubs, but mostly from rock concerts. June 7th was right about the time I graduated from high school. Thanks for the cool thread.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Tickets are one of those items that I pick up now and then, but don't actively search for them. It's usually when I hit a dry spell I'll start looking for an alternative and sometimes tickets are the ticket (pun intended). Think they make for a fairly cool collectible, but most that are from the era I collect are fairly dull looking. They do go well with other items to display together though. Of course the playoff and WS tickets are definitely cool.

If you have an opportunity I'd really like to see your ticket up close and personal. Could you post just a picture of the ticket from September 18, 1977? By the way, this just happens to be the same day that the Orioles had a "Thanks Brooks" day at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I have a ticket stub, program, give away poster, small poster and banner from the event. Kinda cool that it was the same day that the three Dodgers hit one out.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I grab them when I can. I save the ones from games I have gone to. I was lucky enough to attend a lot of clinches, playoffs WS and even a no hitter. I obtained all the no hit and perfect game stubs from '56 to now. It is the ones you have to work and do your homework for that I like the best. Here is my O'Neill debute.

ycq2m4y5.jpeg

Members online