Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB Custom Cards Tournament - The Pick Wins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think both are nice as well! I would probably pick Aaron though out of these 2, though clearly the creators of both are very talented!

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
A few notes about my submission the Snider-

I didn't make it. Any FCB veteran could spy Mike aka 200poundhockeyman's great work. How this card came to be mine is quite special. We had a pay it forward thread which was originally started as a custom card as well that went a little haywire. A "free to a good home" thread was started and then a wonderful thread, an upper echelon thread that had a great run. Chris AKA Cuddyer offered this card up as he had it made. I couldn't pass it up and here's why-

My father was born in Elmhurst, Queens in 1936 and grew up a huge Dodgers fan. He saw in-numerous games in his lifetime using the PAL tickets (he was an orphan and lived in various boy's homes as a kid- the PAL would come by with tickets for the boys and a nickel for peanuts. You could listen for a lifetime about his stories of jumping turnstiles, peaking under bleachers...ect) My father was at Larsen's perfect game ("he no hitted my heros and I was devastated" he would say these types of stories to me before he couldn't pass these stories on anymore) My dad was pretty cool for the era and loved Robinson and Campy right away. Duke and Furillo and of course Pee Wee. When they moved to California he stopped watching baseball. When we moved from NY to outside Philly in the 80's I was a stranded young kid-youngest of 8 kids and they all were yankees fans :eek: (mothers side, Nassau County) Back then there was no sportscenter, cable TV, pay per view. You watched what was on TV and Michael Jack Schmidt was on my TV and I became a lifelong Phillies fan laying on the carpet way to close to the TV watching MY heros. Von Hayes, Luzinski, McBride.....

My father always nurtured my baseball interest and looking back I think he probably wanted to outright root for the Phils with me but baseball was ruined for him ( and he was a rangers/giants fan and not so quiet about it with the neighbors so there as that)

The man officially didn't watch baseball anymore but could recite any player, play, boxscore or series before the Dodgers move. He LOVED baseball and I never got tired of his old stories.

I have a Campy PC and a small WS Dodgers PC in tribute but nothing too serious. This card will never leave my collection. It was made by a custom master- Classy design, proper grammar, wonderful concept. Read the front and back and tell me that's not what a custom should be! This card looks like it could have been pulled out of a $100 a pack box. It was a wonderful and generous gift for Chris to give to me and it connects me to my father-the baseball encyclopedia who stopped compiling his own knowledge and enjoyment due to greed and "progress" I'm truly happy to own such a card that connects talent, generosity, and my youth.

mouschi

May 18, 2012

I didn't make it. Any FCB veteran could spy Mike aka 200poundhockeyman's great work. How this card came to be mine is quite special. We had a pay it forward thread which was originally started as a custom card as well that went a little haywire. A "free to a good home" thread was started and then a wonderful thread, an upper echelon thread that had a great run. Chris AKA Cuddyer offered this card up as he had it made. I couldn't pass it up and here's why-

My father was born in Elmhurst, Queens in 1936 and grew up a huge Dodgers fan. He saw in-numerous games in his lifetime using the PAL tickets (he was an orphan and lived in various boy's homes as a kid- the PAL would come by with tickets for the boys and a nickel for peanuts. You could listen for a lifetime about his stories of jumping turnstiles, peaking under bleachers...ect) My father was at Larsen's perfect game ("he no hitted my heros and I was devastated" he would say these types of stories to me before he couldn't pass these stories on anymore) My dad was pretty cool for the era and loved Robinson and Campy right away. Duke and Furillo and of course Pee Wee. When they moved to California he stopped watching baseball. When we moved from NY to outside Philly in the 80's I was a stranded young kid-youngest of 8 kids and they all were yankees fans :eek: (mothers side, Nassau County) Back then there was no sportscenter, cable TV, pay per view. You watched what was on TV and Michael Jack Schmidt was on my TV and I became a lifelong Phillies fan laying on the carpet way to close to the TV watching MY heros. Von Hayes, Luzinski, McBride.....

My father always nurtured my baseball interest and looking back I think he probably wanted to outright root for the Phils with me but baseball was ruined for him ( and he was a rangers/giants fan and not so quiet about it with the neighbors so there as that)

The man officially didn't watch baseball anymore but could recite any player, play, boxscore or series before the Dodgers move. He LOVED baseball and I never got tired of his old stories.

I have a Campy PC and a small WS Dodgers PC in tribute but nothing too serious. This card will never leave my collection. It was made by a custom master- Classy design, proper grammar, wonderful concept. Read the front and back and tell me that's not what a custom should be! This card looks like it could have been pulled out of a $100 a pack box. It was a wonderful and generous gift for Chris to give to me and it connects me to my father-the baseball encyclopedia who stopped compiling his own knowledge and enjoyment due to greed and "progress" I'm truly happy to own such a card that connects talent, generosity, and my youth.

Love this - thanks for writing it!

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

Nice story. Dint mike also make the Aaron custom? Maybe I'm thinking of different one

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
The Snider is from a set that I had Mike aka 200lbhockeyplayer create for me. I had a bunch of index cards laying around and wanted to do something with them. I took all the ones that players had nicknames and we came up with the Notable Nicknames set. Over time when I changed focus of my collection I either sold, traded or gave away (in the case of this one) these cards. Glad to see one of Mike's many great creations make it into this tournament. With that all being said............my vote goes towards the Snider.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
These are both great. Making backs is hard work, but the Snyder uses the same pic on the front and back. Visually that turned me off a little.

I wish I could see the back of the Aaron, but right now Aaron gets my vote.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Congrats Ashburn Alley on taking round 1.

Round 2 coming soon.

BracketA.jpg

Please let me know if you can see this bracket, I am having issues with it.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
For round 2 we have Will the Thrill

attachment.php

And Banging Benjamin Padgett

attachment.php

Voting open until 3-Jul at 11PM ET.

Attachments

• rstadlerASU22 - Sized.jpg
    rstadlerASU22 - Sized.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Fordman - Sized.jpg
    Fordman - Sized.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 134

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Little guy.

Can we just declare that card the winner of the whole thing and move on to the next tourney? Haha

Seriously. Part of the good and bad of my role is that I get see to who matched who in the random and what they have submitted. I loved your first round match up and I felt bad for rstadler in this round (who wants to vote against Ben?). It is funny how the random works.

There are some fantastic cards in this tournament - certainly my favorite so far.

That being said, wait until you see how slaughtered I am going by in my match up coming later. I am already giving up for my round...

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
All- I am going to make a little change in how I reveal the cards for this tournament (to keep the mystery going longer of what people submitted).

Instead of doing all the first rounds before going forward to the next rounds, I am going to do them bracket by bracket. So, the current bracket (upper left) will go all the way to the final card, which is that brackets Final Four contender before I move on to the next bracket.

I am going to reveal them in this order - upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right.

I like the idea of keep the mystery going a little longer.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I'm biased so I'll go with the Clark "card that never was" (it has the same refractor finish as the Gold Label - the scan doesn't show that too well) but I'm loving the Ben Padgett card too! Unfortunately for this round, I think it is possible that it is like bringing a knife (Clark) to a gun fight! :)

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Wow - Ryan, that Gold Label looks great. However, the Padgett custom is my vote - the action photo, matching jersey, the spotlight background to match the "insert" name, all with stats on the back push this one ahead for me.

Obviously a custom of whom I assume to be Fordman's son is basically the coolest thing ever, but I'll try not to weight this too heavily in each round!

Members online

Latest posts