Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Resurrection time ... Collector's Corner Showcase. Who do you want interviewed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Shot the boss man ( [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] ) a pm about what I've got planned for this, but he's working so I'll just post on my own :cool:.

I'd like to get a lot of responses here, on who YOU, the members of FCB, want to see interviewed for this column. Tag these folks so they know. It can be a player collector, a team collector, a vintage collector, a set collector or a prospector. Whoever YOU want to have interviewed, you'll get it.

The 'winner' will then have the choice to pick whoever gets interviewed for the next week. Ideally, I'd like to have enough response by every Saturday night to shoot the questions over to the person so I can get answers by noonish Sunday and just do it as a Sunday to Sunday thing.

So, get amongst it. Make your voice heard. You wanted this back, so, now, IT'S BACK !!!

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
BBCGalaxee would be interesting because he's a card shop owner and a really active member here.
He could tell stories about his shop and how selling cards in New York has changed over the years, what kind of customers he has and how he sees the future of the hobby, through the eyes of a shop owner and his customers.
He always seems to have good insights and has a lot of memories and stories of collecting and all different kinds of collectibles and publications from the '80s and '90s.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
BBCGalaxee would be interesting because he's a card shop owner and a really active member here.
He could tell stories about his shop and how selling cards in New York has changed over the years, what kind of customers he has and how he sees the future of the hobby, through the eyes of a shop owner and his customers.
He always seems to have good insights and has a lot of memories and stories of collecting and all different kinds of collectibles and publications from the '80s and '90s.

+1

- Rodrick

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011

+2....sign me up!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Not sure if we need this thread. Just do somebody, and then continue for more than a couple in a row. Everyone would be happy. Always been one of my favorite threads. Turning into a popularity contest seems a little weird to me. Plus, no one votes for me so my feelings are really hurt.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Not sure if we need this thread. Just do somebody, and then continue for more than a couple in a row. Everyone would be happy. Always been one of my favorite threads. Turning into a popularity contest seems a little weird to me. Plus, no one votes for me so my feelings are really hurt.

But you have the best stories

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I suppose I'd find people who haven't advertised their entire collection on 8-10 different trading card sites over and over again. Find some people who have fresh, interesting collections who are willing to share, but are not over the top public about everything they have and do. Maintain a variety of different themes, so it stays new each time.

On a somewhat related note, I found myself the subject of something like this one time many years ago after buying from an ebayer over the course of many months. Turned out it was Frank Barning, who used to write a column in SCD called Barnstorming. It was fun answering his questions like I was famous or something and then I appeared in an issue. I don't think there was any particular focus to my profile, just sharing what I liked to collect at the time and a way to contact me if someone wanted to buy/sell/trade with me. This was before the internet was wildly popular with personal websites. blogs and trade sites like these, so it was fun to look for the issue when it came out. I still have one tucked away somewhere. I remember it had the T206 Wagner on the cover.

I also prepared a bio to try to get in as a Beckett Super Collector when I was really chasing Frank Thomas inn the mid-late 90s. Even thought at the time that I had come up with a unique title for the feature, "Frank-ly hooked". I never tried to submit it though and gave up the intense Big Hurt pursuit not too long after and refocused on my Garvey collecting.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Well put. No offense or disrespect to many of the members listed but people are listing them because we all know how awesome their collections already are. We've seen some of their gems (for some those that they WANT us to see lol) and are pretty familiar with their history and focus as they've been around FCB since the beginning. I think it'd be just as interesting to seek out a member who is less public or even a newish member with an interesting focus. Would help to introduce them as well as foster a welcoming atmosphere for new members or encourage those quiet guys to chat a bit more maybe

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
[MENTION=6581]BBCgalaxee[/MENTION], check PM's.

Also, this isn't a popularity contest. Anything that I'll be a part of, will never be that. I just wanted member input if there was someone out there they wanted to see, since nobody has done this in 6 months or so, popularity or not. Get amongst it or get the XXXX outta the way :)

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
@Zan and his Hank Greenberg collection

@r2d2 and his Mexican player collection

[MENTION=2394]tonsofcommons[/MENTION] and his Pacific collection

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Barnstorming

On a somewhat related note, I found myself the subject of something like this one time many years ago after buying from an ebayer over the course of many months. Turned out it was Frank Barning, who used to write a column in SCD called Barnstorming. It was fun answering his questions like I was famous or something and then I appeared in an issue. I don't think there was any particular focus to my profile, just sharing what I liked to collect at the time and a way to contact me if someone wanted to buy/sell/trade with me. This was before the internet was wildly popular with personal websites. blogs and trade sites like these, so it was fun to look for the issue when it came out. I still have one tucked away somewhere. I remember it had the T206 Wagner on the cover.

I also prepared a bio to try to get in as a Beckett Super Collector when I was really chasing Frank Thomas inn the mid-late 90s. Even thought at the time that I had come up with a unique title for the feature, "Frank-ly hooked". I never tried to submit it though and gave up the intense Big Hurt pursuit not too long after and refocused on my Garvey collecting.

Thanks for the "related" note...it brings back memories from many years ago. I "loved" the Barnstorming column in SCD; it was my favorite read of the paper magazine. Especially enjoyed the single player collector articles. I'm unsure now how Frank got my name, but I answered a bunch of questions he gave me and I was in there at some point in time many, many years ago. Frank put the story together and did a really good job. Can't remember who was on the cover, but like you, I have it tucked away somewhere.

I'd like to hear about others collections, but I especially enjoy hearing about the single player collectors. So, any single player collectors I'd enjoy hearing about their continued pursuit of their favorite player.

Members online

Latest posts