Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I a bad seller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Last night I get several offers on a Gary Sanchez Bowman auto. I counter all for 120 and one accepts. I admit I messed up by not checking better but the one who accepted has 1 feedback and that was 2 months ago. I messaged the buyer and said I need payment by the end of the day. I shouldn't be judgmental based on feedback but I really want payment because value is nigh and we all know how quickly that can change

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I think that is a wise thing to do because of the feedback. Although I may have given them 24 hours to pay before I sent a message. On the same topic I never understand why when people win auctions then they wait longer than 24 hours to pay for the item. If that is their plan then at least message the seller to let them know what is going on. I am sitting on two sold items that I am into my 3rd day without payment. I have sent an invoice and still nothing.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I accept offers immediately on stuff all the time and with buyers, seems to be about 50/50 as to if they will pay right away or wait 1 to 2 days, I never fret, just let it all play out, havent had a NPB all year, based on 200 or so sales. I think all will be OK.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I think that is a wise thing to do because of the feedback. Although I may have given them 24 hours to pay before I sent a message. On the same topic I never understand why when people win auctions then they wait longer than 24 hours to pay for the item. If that is their plan then at least message the seller to let them know what is going on. I am sitting on two sold items that I am into my 3rd day without payment. I have sent an invoice and still nothing.

24 hours is a reasonable time. I'm typing this as I just paid for an item I forgot I won 36 hours ago...

:-/

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I understand why someone might need a little time to pay. Most of the time I wouldn't sweat it but the 1 feedback is a concern. I don't think I've ever accepted a counter offer and didn't pay immediately but I hope he pays on a few hours and I can get it out tonight

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
24 hours is a reasonable time. I'm typing this as I just paid for an item I forgot I won 36 hours ago...

:-/

I would like payment within 24 hours but I understand and I don't start getting a little annoyed until after 48 hours. By 72 hours I am irritated and by 4 days eBay opens a case for me. Although if a buyer simply reaches out and lets me know what is going on then this is all averted.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I would like payment within 24 hours but I understand and I don't start getting a little annoyed until after 48 hours. By 72 hours I am irritated and by 4 days eBay opens a case for me. Although if a buyer simply reaches out and lets me know what is going on then this is all averted.

This is a logical approach IMO. If you are going to take extra time its reasonable to just let them know.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
i can offer you a few scenarios from a buyers standpoint, specifically me in mind.

1) I will often look at a sellers other listings to see if there is anything else I want that can catch a ride with my won itms. Sometimes they won't end for 3-5 days. I typically don't message a seller telling or asking them. I assume that they deal with combined shipping across a week or more of listings.

2) Depending on when and how I won, I may not have a chance to pay immediately. I typically only log on to my computer in the evening. I don't want or need to be connected 24/7 on my phone. If I won after logging off for the night, it will always be almost 24 hours before I see it and if I am busy or can't log on that night, it may be 2 days before I even know I won.

It is atypical to be able to "buy" something without paying for it immediately, like ebay. I suspect that most sellers do have enough patience to deal with the occasional slow buyer. My son, who is 13 now, doesn't understand why restaurants allow you to sit down and eat before paying and frankly, I don't have a good answer for that one. McDonalds makes you pay before you get your food, but a fine steakhouse will not. Where else can you obtain something, consume it to the point of no return and THEN pay after the item is in your belly? I guess they want you to keep buying (deserts, drinks, etc).

Oh, I don't buy "hot" or "trendy" items, so nobody should be worried that I will change my mind with the tide of popularity either though...

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] I appreciate your input, it's easy to forget not everyone is attached to their smart phone with apps running where everything is instant

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
As a seller, I have EBAY send out the NPB alert after the 4th day.. We all had "0" feedback at one time and there are new EBAY customers all the time..

As a buyer, I normally pay within 24 hours, but when I am on vacation and I have set a snipe that wins.. I won't know until I get back from vacation.

Be patient.. if a seller wanted a payment within 24 hours, then I am less likely to buy from them again.. as I will sometimes buy several cards from a seller..

Good luck!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, sounds like you're really worried about that card man. Next time, don't do a best offer and have it set up for immediate payment only. Trust me, for every one of you sellers that wonders why people don't pay right away, there's people like me wondering if you needed the money that quickly.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
If I have it right, that was less than 2 days from close of auction to canceling the sale? I mean no offense, but speaking as a buyer - I have never sold anything on ebay - I think that was a little quick to cancel. I totally understand sellers' frustration with deadbeat bidders, but a lot of people still go a few days between checking email. I sure do when I am on vacation! Of course you can set messages on ebay that say you're out of town, but that is a little advanced for some.

In the end, if you're going to buy stuff online you should keep up. I totally get that. But as a buyer I'd be pissed if someone pulled the plug on me in < 2 days.

OK, no response to messages, no payment, I canceled the order and relisted with a higher BIN

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'll explain my thinking. I listed the card at 125, within the hour I had 4 offers. I countered all of them at 120. This buyer accepts it about 45 minutes later. I sent three different messages only because he has one feedback in 6 months, I don't get a response. I gave him not 48 but like 46 hours. The part that I can't understand is how he's so quick to offer, accept a counter offer then nothing. I'm not a heavy seller but I've sold enough to get messages from people saying "hey gimme a day or two I have another card I'm selling". That doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno but its done anyway

Members online