Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

new PC, Warren Spahn **share your own**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
As a part time HOF collector I've grabbed a few things spahn over the years. sold them then grabbed a few more.
I didnt plan on collecting him specifically but the more I learned about him the more I respected his stature as arguably the best left hander ever. I also love the old school patches being put out by panini and in doing so found more I like. please feel free to share your own
this is what I have so far:

6-20ish-17 mail
attachment.php

Received 3/6
attachment.php

Received 3/2
attachment.php

Received 2/27
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Amaing start! I agree on your point about Panini, they are doing a great job with putting out some really appealing mem cards. Will you do vintage?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Gorgeous patches on those Flawless. It is not arguable in my mind where he stands. His stuff has always been very affordable with the exception of high end patches. Plenty of autos to last decades. Hope to see more of your pickups!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I always wanted to start a Spahn collection. He was one of the nicest and most gracious legendary players at card shows in the '80s and always signed quickly through the mail at his home.

I've never understood why he's not as famous (and expensive) as most pitchers who were inferior to him.
Not only did he win an incredible 360 games with 13 20-win seasons, mostly during the offensive boom era of the '50s, but he was an extremely stylish and memorable pitcher, with that massive leg kick, distinctive look and perpetual smile. And he was extremely respected. Plus he played on a few great Braves teams with Hank Aaron.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
thanks guys!
was just reading yesterday about the greatest game ever pitched.
Spahn vs Marichal. each go 16+ innings throwing over 200 pitches each. Mays wins for the giants with a Homer 1-0

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
Spahn 1956 Topps.jpg

Spahn had a great, dry sense of humor during the two times I was lucky enough to meet him. In 1995, my brother and I went to the Hall of Fame induction for Mike Schmidt. I went to one of the stores where Spahn was signing and got a photo taken with him.. A year or so later, he was appearing at the Tuff Stuff show at the Fairgrounds in Richmond, Virginia so I went up to get my photo with him signed. He would start to sign it, then stop to look at it, trying to place where it was taken. He probably did this three times before I explained it was taken up in Cooperstown. The conversation went something like this:

Spahn: Are you going up for the ceremony this year?
Me: No, we probably won't go up again until 1999, when Nolan Ryan gets in.

Spahn got a mischievous look on his face, then deadpanned...

Spahn: What makes you think he is going to make it?

Last edited:

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Very nice start to your new collection! Keep up the great work and continue to show us what you get.
This is the only Spahn I have. I pulled it several years ago and just couldn't bear to part with it.
spahncut.jpg

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
View attachment 67894

Spahn had a great, dry sense of humor during the two times I was lucky enough to meet him. In 1995, my brother and I went to the Hall of Fame induction for Mike Schmidt. I went to one of the stores where Spahn was signing and got a photo taken with him.. A year or so later, he was appearing at the Tuff Stuff show at the Fairgrounds in Richmond, Virginia so I went up to get my photo with him signed. He would start to sign it, then stop to look at it, trying to place where it was taken. He probably did this three times before I explained it was taken up in Cooperstown. The conversation went something like this:

Spahn: Are you going up for the ceremony this year?
Me: No, we probably won't go up again until 1999, when Nolan Ryan gets in.

Spahn got a mischievous look on his face, then deadpanned...

Spahn: What makes you think he is going to make it?
HAHA great story

Very nice start to your new collection! Keep up the great work and continue to show us what you get.
This is the only Spahn I have. I pulled it several years ago and just couldn't bear to part with it.
spahncut.jpg

can't blame you. nice card

whoa! amazing.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Great cards! Huge Spahn fan as well.

There's no doubt in my mind that he's one of the 2-3 greatest southpaws ever.

He was also one of, if not the most decorated veteran for a major leaguer, to boot.

Also has an award named after him...not many can say that, especially when they were alive.

I'm currently working on a project to retroactively determine The Warren Spahn Award winners since he retired in 1965 (the award started in 1999).

Anyway, great to see Spahn get some hobby attention. Look forward to seeing your future pickups!

Members online