Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Griffey stopped underlining his last name some time late 95 early 96. He may have done it by habit
a few times but not alot from what I have seen. I am no auto expert but the Griffey's look legit but
doubt they were pack issued except Murphy's.

I believe there was non auto cards issued?

Last edited:

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Griffey stopped underlining his last name some time late 95 early 96. He may have done it by habit
a few times but not alot from what I have seen. I am no auto expert but the Griffey's look legit but
doubt they were pack issued except Murphy's.

I believe there was non auto cards issued?

Thats the odd part though a that almost all the Griffey single autos have no underline Y and those have to be legit. So why does that dual have an underline Y? I'm inclined to believe all single autos are legit (no reason to forge) but if he stopped underlining after 95 or 96 why so many single not underlined?

This is a great thread so glad I found a forum to chat with other fans!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
That is strange. Every single-signed Griffey doesn't have the underlined "Y." However alot of the dual sigs do. The plot thickens. I've seen several dual sigs of both versions (underlined Y, and not) certified by JSA and PSA/DNA. By the plot thickening, I mean a dead end lol.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
That is strange. Every single-signed Griffey doesn't have the underlined "Y." However alot of the dual sigs do. The plot thickens. I've seen several dual sigs of both versions (underlined Y, and not) certified by JSA and PSA/DNA. By the plot thickening, I mean a dead end lol.

Haha yeah I think no matter how much we brainstorm we may just get to a dead end. I really think that his signature just fluctuated on a lot of them due to massive signings. There were 1000 single Griffey's and 1000 Duals so after the first 100 or so it had to get a little sloppier on both variations and have less of the loops and swirls. I'll find some pics from my PC I have a couple where it's a lower numbered and it's a beautiful perfect Griffey sig. Another has a higher number, or maybe not even a number just say 1:288 packs and has a sloppier version (still a great looking signature!) but just less of the Y and J loops and lines.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

Indeed - here's 5 listed by ylaf that has both the underlined and non-underlined Y:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-UD-MANTLE-GRIFFEY-DUAL-AUTO-5-COPIES-/390819000526?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5afea0b0ce

My single auto (Griffey) has the non-underlined Y. Overall though, I agree that there really isn't a rhyme or reason to it, but it's still an interesting topic to think about.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
So, if someone could give me a hand, I'd appreciate it!

I happened across this as soon as it went up and I hit the BIN before noticing who the seller was :/

Assumed the black background was potentially masking the transparency of the Illuminator. After seeing the seller figured I was due for an item not described case.

In any case, can someone confirm whether this is the more common Luminous or Luminescent? Obviously not an Illuminator as advertised. Thanks!

GriffeyTSCF.jpg

GriffeyTSCB.jpg

photo22.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It looks like it has the refractor sheen to it, so it is the Luminescent.

The Luminous are basically like a base chrome card.
The Luminescent have the rainbow/refractor sheen
The Illuminators have the same refractor finish, but the card stock is see-through.

Hope that helps?

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
It looks like it has the refractor sheen to it, so it is the Luminescent.

The Luminous are basically like a base chrome card.
The Luminescent have the rainbow/refractor sheen
The Illuminators have the same refractor finish, but the card stock is see-through.

Hope that helps?

Yes thank you much. Was trying to confirm whether the regular Luminous had the sheen or not but just cardboard vs. plastic like finish.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Not the deal I was expecting when I hit the BIN but if anyone has interest before I send it back for item not as described, let me know. Doesn't appear to be a terrible deal at 59.99, but I know this seller has shifty behavior and wouldn't necessarily want to let him off the hook.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
People need to be held accountable. Although with recent fluke sales, $60 doesn't seem too bad, these generally go for much cheaper. That shouldn't be the deciding factor though. It was listed incorrectly (intentionally or not) and should be made right. Judging from the seller I think this came from, id go out on a limb to say he is knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
@athletics07

Saw the item as well and almost hit the BIN but saw the seller. I personally feel that certain cards are listed by that seller knowingly wrong (i.e) Epix Emeralds, and your Illuminator

I'm all for flipping/selling Griffey's but it's never fair to knowingly list a card as something it's not. I agree with the above posters and say it's a must to hold the seller accountable. I'm very happy with Ebay's Buyer Protection policy. Especially when I purchase high ticket ungraded items.

I'm also fairly certain every night before bed when I check new Griffey listings and see the "3 peaople have viewed this item" it's you guys! haha

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I used to msg that seller and be like that's not so and so. Then I realized he just liked to scheme people. I won't buy from him off of principal now.

I have have this for trade if anyone is interested. May sell it not sure. /50

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
I just wanted to share a story from my childhood, when I first started collecting. It has to do with a certain Ken Griffey card so I thought it would be appropriate here.
I was at a card show at the River Hills Mall in Mankato Minnesota in 1993 with a friend. I was only 13 at the time, and the only money we ever made was from walking beans and picking rock for my uncles. I was fortunate to bring $10-20 to a show, but at the time, that bought alot of stuff.
We made it through the show and had just a few dollars left so I picked up some of the cheapest packs I could find for the ride home.. Picked up 5 or 6 packs of 92 Classic Best at $.25 a pop. I opened the first one as we walked out the door not expecting anything, but the first thing I saw was the beautiful blue ink of a Ken Griffey signature. I was in shock! Back then the only autographs on the market were ones like the 4-sport/Classic Seeing autographs of big name superstars was almost unheard of and I was a 13 year old kid holding one in my hands. I returned to the show for just a few minutes and showed a few dealers. I was offered $250 for it but decided I definitely would be keeping it for a while.

Fast forward about a year, I decided to trade my Griffey Autograph for some really nice basketball cards. These cards were smoking hot at the time, an Eddie Jones 94/95 Finest Refractor, as well as a Jalen Rose Refractor. I also got some cash in the deal which I used to buy some unopened wax.

Over the next 20 years, I occasionally thought about picking up another Griffey Best Autograph on Ebay but just never did. For some reason, I wanted the one that I pulled myself when I was 13. Even though I held onto it for just over a year, it was one of the most meaningful cards I had ever owned.

Last month I contacted by friend and asked if I still had it. He said he did and would be alright with selling it to me for what they go for on Ebay. I have it in hand now and will be keeping it for a long time, maybe passing it down to one of my sons.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
That's a cool story. Re-kindling the nostalgic feeling you got when you pulled it.

I just wanted to share a story from my childhood, when I first started collecting. It has to do with a certain Ken Griffey card so I thought it would be appropriate here.
I was at a card show at the River Hills Mall in Mankato Minnesota in 1993 with a friend. I was only 13 at the time, and the only money we ever made was from walking beans and picking rock for my uncles. I was fortunate to bring $10-20 to a show, but at the time, that bought alot of stuff.
We made it through the show and had just a few dollars left so I picked up some of the cheapest packs I could find for the ride home.. Picked up 5 or 6 packs of 92 Classic Best at $.25 a pop. I opened the first one as we walked out the door not expecting anything, but the first thing I saw was the beautiful blue ink of a Ken Griffey signature. I was in shock! Back then the only autographs on the market were ones like the 4-sport/Classic Seeing autographs of big name superstars was almost unheard of and I was a 13 year old kid holding one in my hands. I returned to the show for just a few minutes and showed a few dealers. I was offered $250 for it but decided I definitely would be keeping it for a while.

Fast forward about a year, I decided to trade my Griffey Autograph for some really nice basketball cards. These cards were smoking hot at the time, an Eddie Jones 94/95 Finest Refractor, as well as a Jalen Rose Refractor. I also got some cash in the deal which I used to buy some unopened wax.

Over the next 20 years, I occasionally thought about picking up another Griffey Best Autograph on Ebay but just never did. For some reason, I wanted the one that I pulled myself when I was 13. Even though I held onto it for just over a year, it was one of the most meaningful cards I had ever owned.

Last month I contacted by friend and asked if I still had it. He said he did and would be alright with selling it to me for what they go for on Ebay. I have it in hand now and will be keeping it for a long time, maybe passing it down to one of my sons.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Looking for a Topps Chrome Early Road Refractor if anyone has one for trade/sale please let me know!
[MENTION=11245]Joey_peapod[/MENTION]

What's the story with that prototype? Haven't see or heard about it before. Pretty awesome looking card.

Last edited:

Members online