Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Juan Gris Meets the National (Ferris Wheel Video Inside!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Now that I've had a couple of days to process my visit to the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland this past Saturday, let me share some of my experience.

Background: This was my first National and it was a place/event I've wanted to go since the early 90's (I'm 28). I wore an Adam Dunn jersey against the advice of some that said I would have difficulty haggling with dealers for Dunn stuff (this was not the case). I live and work in Columbus, OH so the drive down wasn't too bad, about 134 miles and a 2 hour drive. Leaving home just after 7AM and stopping near Wooster, OH to eat breakfast at Bob Evans allowed me just enough time to park and enter the International Exposition Center right when it opened at 10AM.
National IXC.jpgWelcome to the Show.jpg

My initial reaction walking in through the show entrance was "how the hell am I going to see everything?". I stared at the cards in the first case I came to for a good 15 minutes (cards worth millions of dollars) before moving on. I took some quick pictures for [MENTION=2289]Zan[/MENTION] of this cool bat Hank Greenberg bat that had been auctioned off the night before.
National Greenberg Bat 1.jpgNational Greenberg Bat 2.jpg

I worked my way clockwise around the perimeter and stopped in at the FCB booth around 11:00 where I introduced myself to [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] and the guys. They gave me some excellent advice on who and what to see and I ended up stopping by the FCB booth every few hours to pick up bits of information and meet new people. Chris, thanks again for showing me around!
Gray Gilmore.jpg

I felt the need to open something and decided to go the vintage route with a 1982 Topps rack pack. I just wanted a fun little break and was happy to find this inside...:cool:
RIPKEN.jpg

I happened to stop by the case break pavilion stage when Panini had Bobby Hull up on stage as a guest for a hockey break and, looking into the crowd, I saw our very own [MENTION=1727]ThoseBackPages[/MENTION]! I strolled over to say hello and wished him luck as he had a team spot in the break. I didn't pay to meet any of the sports stars the convention brought in to sign autographs but I did enjoy standing off to the side to see who was signing in the autograph pavilion. Anyone recognize these gentlemen? :)
Brooks and Milt.jpg

I kept my eyes peeled for the cards mentioned in the "Official help find a card at the National thread" but didn't see anything worth mentioning. I did post a nice Rickey Henderson card in his collectors thread but that was the best I could do. [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION], I almost sent you a PM about this card (they were asking $7) but figured you already owned it or might find it cheaper online.
Belle Auto.jpg

I did manage to find some nice Dunn singles for myself but didn't find any "big" cards of his that I needed for the PC. With about an hour to go in the show I managed to find what was probably the only Adam Dunn game used bat at the National. After some negotiating I was able to add game used Dunn bat #8 to my collection!
GUU Dunn I13.jpg

In closing, I had just about the best day I could have hoped for. I met a couple dozen people I knew both from FCB and throughout the hobby. [MENTION=3073]tim carroll[/MENTION], it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the generosity - keep up the great work!

And now what you've all been waiting for... a video I shot of the National from the Ferris Wheel! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqyk5mjCgSs&app=desktop

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Glad you got to go! Its an experience I think all sports collectors to go to and enjoy at least once. My Wife & I were on my our up there Friday but was called back for an emergency (we made it to Grove City on I-71).

It's nice to see the mini museums of stuff people have and the prices on most of it are priced so high, I dont think they're meant to sell, but to just showcase and brag about. You wouldnt think that there was so much sports memorabilia out there, but the National only scratches the surface. I know a lot of people dont like vintage, but I think thats the way to go as time goes on.

Glad you got a piece for your collection and didnt go away disappointed.

I met [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] last year in Chicago. Good guy, great site and I know he wants the site to be bigger, but Im in the less is more camp about that!

Looks like it was a lot of fun and you enjoyed yourself!

Fordman

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks for sharing the story, wish I could have made the trip to Cleveland, jealous of everyone who got to go!

Thanks too for keeping an eye out for me while you were there! I know a few others who were doing the same and no one found anything remotely rare or close to something I'd want for Albert Belle :(

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I know a lot of people dont like vintage, but I think thats the way to go as time goes on...

I think you're probably right. [MENTION=1727]ThoseBackPages[/MENTION] had the right idea with his purchases at the National!

Thanks too for keeping an eye out for me while you were there! I know a few others who were doing the same and no one found anything remotely rare or close to something I'd want for Albert Belle :sad:

The majority of cards that caught my eye were high grade vintage cards and high end prospect stuff from the last few years... everything else kind of gets drowned out but that's the reality. Many dealers need to push cards like that to turn a profit at a big show and leave the Belles in their cars.

Great write up! Think I would be overwhelmed by all those cards.

I was definitely overwhelmed at first. The trick is to break it down table by table and move through in sections. There were times when I would have deja vu with cards and realize I was at a table I'd looked over 4-5 hours before.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I'll be back next year in Chicago and can't wait to attend again after a year away.

One of my best friends moved to Chicago a few years ago to be a police officer (what a dream job! :wink: ) and he's always bugging me to come visit. I may have to make the trip next year with the National in town.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I did manage to find some nice Dunn singles for myself but didn't find any "big" cards of his that I needed for the PC. With about an hour to go in the show I managed to find what was probably the only Adam Dunn game used bat at the National. After some negotiating I was able to add game used Dunn bat #8 to my collection!
View attachment 39031

After doing a good amount of research I was able to photo match my new bat to the one Dunn is using in this card photo:
GUU Dunn I13 Card Photo Match.jpg
The card is a 2003 Upper Deck MVP Sports Nut #SN16 and the photo on the card is from a 2002 home game at Cinergy Field.

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Sweet write up. Thanks for sharing. More I read more in committed to going next year. Gf said shed even go.
Cool you can match your bats to pictured on cards

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
It was a pleasure meeting you as well! Glad you had a great time - I can't wait for Chicago!

Tim

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Thanks, [MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION]. Sounds like you have to go to the National next year if the GF is on board.

After doing a good amount of research I was able to photo match my new bat to the one Dunn is using in this card photo:
View attachment 39324
The card is a 2003 Upper Deck MVP Sports Nut #SN16 and the photo on the card is from a 2002 home game at Cinergy Field.

I was just able to confirm that Louisville Slugger only made 12 bats for Dunn with the exact specifications of the bat I found at the National and all 12 were made in 2002 (6 bats were ordered on 5/7/02 and 6 bats on 6/5/02). For photo matching the bat to a picture of Dunn playing in 2002, this is icing on the cake. :cool:

Last edited:

Members online