Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB says it has canceled as many as 65 million All-Star ballots. Is this legit?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I have fond memories of being a kid filling out the paper ballots. Fairly certain I may have some non filled ones stowed away somewhere.
Ah, the good old days of All-Star vote manipulation

In her 1989 book, "The Secret Life of Cyndy Garvey," the first baseman's ex-wife revealed that it wasn't just his devoted fans that got Garvey elected. She tells of Steve and a friend identified as "Weyland" orchestrating the write-in campaign.

"During [Weyland's] visits to Dodger Stadium, he became friendly with the people who worked in the team office," Cyndy wrote. "He convinced somebody there to give him whole cartons of ballots. He took them back to our house, and we set up an assembly line. For the next month or so, we filled out all-star ballots. Thousands and thousands of them. For hours and hours.

"Steve punched. Weyland punched. In the beginning, I punched. We made sure that his name was written in different ways, with different pens. I was pregnant, and after a while, I got tired of punching. I only came around once in a while to vacuum up the thousands of punched-out squares that went flying into every corner of the house."

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
RE: Steve Garvey

Hard to take anything coming from a bitter ex-wife too seriously. This is actually a totally different situation. I'm not convinced that any of the Royals should be starting in the All-Star Game. Garvey not only deserved to start the 1974 All-Star Game, he won the MVP award of the game and also the MVP award of the 1974 season. While not an official award, he was the MVP of the 1974 NLCS, hitting .389. In the 1974 World Series, he hit .381.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
RE: Steve Garvey

Hard to take anything coming from a bitter ex-wife too seriously. This is actually a totally different situation. I'm not convinced that any of the Royals should be starting in the All-Star Game. Garvey not only deserved to start the 1974 All-Star Game, he won the MVP award of the game and also the MVP award of the 1974 season. While not an official award, he was the MVP of the 1974 NLCS, hitting .389. In the 1974 World Series, he hit .381.
I understand it is a different situation. Point is that All-Star vote manipulation is hardly anything new - the Garvey thing really did happen.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If the MLB were to used something based on IP address - you have external IP addresses vs. internal IP addresses.

Go to http://www.thisipis.com
That is your external IP address as assigned by your ISP. It can be static (as in most cases with business that utilize remote access) or dynamic (most residential accounts). If you do have a static, you are usually assigned a sequential block of addresses, depending on your need.

Now, go to your command prompt and type in "ipconfig". You will see your internal IP address. Most residential modems/routers, by default, will have the 192.168.1.# scheme. This is your IP address as identified by your gateway (router) and doesn't mean much when you're looking at a network from the outside. As a matter of fact, if I were to say:

"Hey, guys - my IP address is 192.168.1.10! Ping me!"
You'd likely be pinging a device on your own internal network. Why? Because that IP address is only utilized locally. If your router uses the same scheme, then you'll only see a reply if another device on your network has that IP address.

Now. If I were the MLB and I decided to just ban a specific external IP address (which is what I'd see the scripted traffic coming from), I'd actually be banning anything on that network. So if it is a business utilizing only one static IP address, the whole network behind it would be blocked. Not that big of a deal, right? Wrong. In some instances, you could be banning any number of regions of cellular data networks, and they can use that same external for cellular data access in a pretty good radius.

Then you have the problem with proxies. Anyone who writes a script can write one to have you hop proxies and make it look like every vote is coming from a different external IP address.
Blah blah blah. What?

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
I understand it is a different situation. Point is that All-Star vote manipulation is hardly anything new - the Garvey thing really did happen.

I agree that he made it in on write-in votes. Heck, I was one of the ones who wrote his name in on a ballot and I was in the heart of Big Red Machine territory. As far as taking Cyndy's version of Steve, her, and the mysterious Mr. Weyland as being factual, I'm doubtful. Steve's own book, "Garvey" tells a slightly different story. He does include the name of real people and uses checkable facts in his version, so I'm a little more inclined to believe that side of it.

The most similar earlier version of All-Star manipulation actually took place in Cincinnati. I'm not positive of the year, but I think that some of the players were guys like Wally Post and Ed Bailey. The local newspaper printed up pre-punched ballots and distributed them to the public in the paper, making it very easy for the hometown guys to get votes. Supposedly, there were local bars that wouldn't serve a drink until the customer submitted a ballot. Similar to this debacle with the Royals, several non-deserving Reds would've made the line up had the commisioner's office not stepped in.

I wonder if Royals management is partly relieved that all those votes got cancelled. There could be All-Star bonuses written into some of those player contracts.

A_Pharis

Blah blah blah. What?

TL;DR - "Nerd words."

Edit: I'm still in "Super Nerd Mode". I spent Sun - Wed at a Datto conference in New Orleans. Datto offers backup and disaster recovery option for networks, so we were there to see what they had on the agenda (hint: Damn good stuff, including a network controller with sweet fail-proof rollover features). It's a company created by one of Forbe's "Top 30 under 30" (Austin McChord). He turned down $100 million for it, and it was a smart move. Awkward as hell, but he's just as wealthy. Got to listen to some pretty hefty speakers.... so, yeah.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
[MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] I had no idea you were in IT too.

For you non-nerds, the IP addressing scheme he described is called NAT overload, or many-to-one. It's exactly what you use at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Moustakas with another multi hit game and now hitting .348 in June... can he chase down Donaldson?

Latest posts